Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2013 3:02:42 PM EDT
This is my first time actually zeroing an AR, so forgive me if my procedure is a bit off.  I tried to research as much as I could to fully test and zero my 1st build.  Advice is always welcome!

Just got back from my local indoor range zeroing in my 1st AR Build.  Nice thing about this indoor range, it has a rifle range that extends to 50 yards with electronic controls (American Shooters - Las Vegas).  I initially started by firing one shot and making sure the bolt was held open.  I then proceeded to increase the rounds incrementally by one until I was at 10, then fired a full magazine.  At this point, I was only checking for functionality and hitting paper @25 yards (and making sure it wasn't gonna blow up in my face!  ).  I was using Remington .223 55gr and American Eagle 5.56 55gr for this.  About 100 flawless rounds fed thru.  I was well pleased!  

I decided I wanted to use a 100 yard zero for my MBUS.  Using a 25 yard target that was calibrated for a 100 yard zero, I used my HD round of choice for zeroing, Hornady T2 TAP 5.56 75gr (first shot caught me off guard since I was getting accustomed to the lighter loads ).   I shot from a bench using sand bags.  I shot three shots and made adjustments and repeated.  I managed to take just 12 shots and was satisfied with where the POI was on the target.

Since I could not verify at a true 100 yards, I tried setting the target @50 yards to see how I would do.  With my bad eyesight and astigmatism, this target was very hard to see at that distance, I resorted to using a 5.5" shoot-n-see target.  Please don't mind the low fliers.  Those were from my initial shots before sighting in.

My question is, am I doing it wrong?  Or is this normal @ 50 yards using irons and sand bags (in addition to bad eyesight and astigmatism)?  I had to readjust after every shot, so I know my POA was different every time.  Those targets are tiny @50yards!  .  Would it be better if I used match grade rounds to zero?  I want to make sure this would be sufficient for a carbine class I plan on taking later this year.

For details on my build and additional pictures - CLICK HERE

All in all, I was very pleased and excited to have 150+ flawless rounds thru her today (I was already planning for hiccups as I brought a bunch of tools with me).  I am always looking to improve so thanks in advance for your feedback and advice.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 3:47:31 PM EDT
[#1]
it looks like you need some practice. thats what my targets usually look like at 100 with my garand. your initial groups were decent. try to focus on trigger squeeze and breathing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2013 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
it looks like you need some practice.

This.

Nice stick though.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:15:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Nice stick though.

Thanks.  I figured a lot of it was operator error.  Next time out I will try to focus on those fundamentals and see if I can tighten my groups.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Nice stick though.

Thanks.  I figured a lot of it was operator error.  Next time out I will try to focus on those fundamentals and see if I can tighten my groups.  

You're welcome. It looks like your bench technique needs some refining because there is more vertical dispersion than one would like to see at 50 yds, from the bench.

With your eyesight, have you though of using a scope, or the Leupold Prismatic?
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You're welcome. It looks like your bench technique needs some refining because there is more vertical dispersion than one would like to see at 50 yds, from the bench.

I thought about it, however, I already have an Aimpoint micro that is coming that will be my primary optic.  And buying another scope would be out of my reach.  Perhaps at a later date, when I get more money.    Or I can finally make that appointment with my eye doctor and get my contacts prescription updated.

I'm sure my bench techniques have much room for improvement.  This was my first attempt at it, as before I've always shot the rifles out of the box with little to no adjustments.  I did notice that between each shot I had to adjust quite a bit to get back on target.  Should I have a firmer position to attempt to stay on target when shooting my groups?  Or is readjusting just natural and I just suck at the moment?
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the practice.

Read a bunch about breathing, trigger control, and sight picture.  The common thread is consistency.  Work at doing the same thing, the same way, all the time.   Books or articles about service match shooting will likely be of help. (for using iron sights)

FWIW, most ARs are more than capable of putting every shot in that grey circle at 25 yds with most of them touching each other, if not through one ragged hole.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought about it, however, I already have an Aimpoint micro that is coming that will be my primary optic.  And buying another scope would be out of my reach.  Perhaps at a later date, when I get more money.    Or I can finally make that appointment with my eye doctor and get my contacts prescription updated.

I'm sure my bench techniques have much room for improvement.  This was my first attempt at it, as before I've always shot the rifles out of the box with little to no adjustments.  I did notice that between each shot I had to adjust quite a bit to get back on target.  Should I have a firmer position to attempt to stay on target when shooting my groups?  Or is readjusting just natural and I just suck at the moment?

You shouldnt have to adjust your sights at all between shots once zero'd.  Check to make sure your sights are properly attached to the rail.

Only then should you confirm your zero.  Finally, stop chasing your round after each shot.  Thers a reason people zero using 3, 5 or 10 rounds before adjusting the sight.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Also, is there supposed to be a break-in period for your barrel?
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#9]
So looks like you have Geissele trigger, but are you staging it or just pulling it straight back.

ETA: With a 100 zero you will be a lil high at 50 yards, and from the way your groups are at 50 it looks like your anticipating the recoil or no follow through.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Constant readjustment may be an indication you're in an uncomfortable or unnatural position, which obviously is not good for consistency.  

If you take an Appleseed class, you'll learn a lot about the basics.  It's a great refresher for experienced shooters too and well worth the expense.

If you have terrible eyesight, don't expect sub-MOA groups with irons like all the cool kids on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 1:13:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You shouldnt have to adjust your sights at all between shots once zero'd.  Check to make sure your sights are properly attached to the rail.

Only then should you confirm your zero.  Finally, stop chasing your round after each shot.  Thers a reason people zero using 3, 5 or 10 rounds before adjusting the sight.

I think I worded it wrong.  I meant that I was readjusting my position after the shot, not the sights.  The recoil would cause my sight picture to break so I would reposition to attempt to obtain the same POA.  So I was not attempting to chase (I couldn't even see the POI at that distance anyways).

Quoted:
Also, is there supposed to be a break-in period for your barrel?

I am not aware of any break-in period.

Quoted:
So looks like you have Geissele trigger, but are you staging it or just pulling it straight back.

ETA: With a 100 zero you will be a lil high at 50 yards, and from the way your groups are at 50 it looks like your anticipating the recoil or no follow through.

I am staging the trigger and attempting to follow through.  I'm probably anticipating recoil a bit, I admit.

Quoted:
Constant readjustment may be an indication you're in an uncomfortable or unnatural position, which obviously is not good for consistency.

If you take an Appleseed class, you'll learn a lot about the basics. It's a great refresher for experienced shooters too and well worth the expense.

If you have terrible eyesight, don't expect sub-MOA groups with irons like all the cool kids on the internet.

The position on the bench did take some getting used to, but I did not feel uncomfortable.  I did start to notice that the recoil was disrupting my sight picture, so I began to wonder if I needed to ditch the rear sand bag rest and just fully support the stock with my hand and shoulder.

That Appleseed class looks awesome!  I checked their schedule and they have quite a few dates this year near my area.  I will definitely be taking this class as soon as I can procure some more ammo!  

And yes, my eyesight sucks and I definitely need my prescription updated.  I knew my groups would suck at 50 yards because I could barely see the thing.  And combine that with my awful technique of repositioning and changing POA, I guess it was a far-fetched dream to be putting ragged holes from my new baby.  haha

Thanks for all the great suggestions and perspective.  Definitely alot I have to work on and practice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2013 1:31:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Try firing off a couple practice shots if your anticipating  the recoil a bit, then focus on your front sight and squeeze the trigger slowly?

Also after you fired the round don't let your finger off the trigger right away, but slowly until you feel the reset then fire from reset.

Link Posted: 4/3/2013 8:54:15 PM EDT
[#14]
One thing I do is use the rear bag to adjust my elevation after every shot. Take the shot, adjust the bag under the stock a tiny bit to get back on target. And when I shoot paper I'm usually with a friend and we spot for each other. It's helpful at 100 yds to hear where you're hitting.

These were sighting in my Aimpoint PRO at 100 yds. Got it on paper at 25 yds, then moved to 100. The target on the right was with my friend telling me how far to left I was hitting. Took quite a few clicks to get it mostly on target. Target on the left was after sighting in but with different ammo.

That was with the stock Stag trigger. I put in a Geissele SSA about a month ago but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I'm sure it's gonna help!
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 11:15:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Uh, nobody mentioned that your 25 y groups were to the left then your 50 y group doubled the distance to the left? It seems your rifle is "zeroed" if you want to hit about half a foot left of your aiming point at 100 y.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Uh, nobody mentioned that your 25 y groups were to the left then your 50 y group doubled the distance to the left? It seems your rifle is "zeroed" if you want to hit about half a foot left of your aiming point at 100 y.

Good point. My windage could very well be off. Next time out I will definitely reverify my zero and hope to dial it in better. Thanks for pointing that out.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top