Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2014 4:32:00 PM EDT
My new Nikon M-223 is great.   Here's my range report sighting it in.  Your thoughts on this point blank scope

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Qlvt4pzOI[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice! Nikon's M-223 1-4 Point Blank Reticle continues to be one of my favorite Nikon AR scopes.
Cool video and great job dialing in your AR. Gotta love that accuracy!

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally.   No BDC reticle!  Nice scope at a reasonable price.  I've always thought the M-223 had nice glass in its price range, but I absolutely hate the BDC reticle which clutters up the field of view and is only right for one load at one velocity.

For shooting within the point blank range of the rifle, this reticle is a vast improvement.   If you need to shoot longer, you can use a ballistic calculator and simply "come up" in inches with the elevation turret.   The dot seems a bit large, which is a trade off.   Make it bigger and you can get on target quicker, but it will cover up small targets at longer range.  Comes with the territory.  I'd say that you should be able to use that scope accurately out to about 400 yards, with proper zero and with a midrange trajectory that is no more than 3" above line of sight.   Depending on load, that should give you a point blank range of about 325 yards before you even need to think about holdover, again dependent on bullet weight and velocity.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Exactly the BDC is too cluttered.....For me < 200 yards would be max....not sure my eyes could accurately see a target at 400yds.   Very clear optics.  Thanks for watching my video
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 2:15:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, Fine if you think the BDC is to "cluttered". I have never felt that way and I have had the pleasure of showing off Nikon's BDC reticle scope's and Spot On to over 1000 folks, many of whom didn't like it but had never even looked down a BDC tube. It is not just for one cal. and 1 load, that is the luxury of Spot On, enter your shooting data and get the corresponding distances for each circle. You can even pull out the distances through each magnification setting. It is a very flexible aiming system and also accurate enough to hit 4 inch jars of Tannerite at 600 yards. I don't proclaim it is the be all end all or that it is right for everyone, but I can assure you it works!

Here's a sample of what you can get from Spot On. Some fo the military background guy's I have worked with were sure it was a gimmick, next thing you know they have a BDC scope on their deer rifle.

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, but no on Nikon BDC.  No horizontal stadia pushed up into the upper 1/3.  No inability to see the target below the crosshairs.  Great glass.  Bad reticle.  Sorry.

Either a simple point blank or milrad turrets and a true milrad reticle, like Leupold'sTMR is better.  This is specific for my custom handloads from a 16" barrel:

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#6]
MS, No worries, We all use what works best for us. I understand your reasoning and can see why it doesn't work for you. I just hate hearing guy's complain about it who have never even looked down the tube of a Nikon BDC reticle scope. The old open mind and how do you know you won't like it if you have never tried it?  Heck, even my about to be 80 year old Father In-Law gave in 4 years ago and went from averaging, no lie, a box of shells per deer to going 13 shots 13  Ks. deer over 4 years! We will be back at it again after Thanksgiving having both drawn Ks. buck tags!
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:07:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Someone needs to post a video showing the actual BDC use at >200 long range. So us mildot and now point blankers can see it does not clutter the view   Video challenge
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a video that OP did 2 years ago giving you an idea about BDC and Spot On

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbZty3Hb6NA

Also, Here's a promo I was in 5 years ago, my first time ever shooting an AR and I went 10 for 10 at 500 yards on a cold windy day, 20mph sustained winds right to left.
That got me hooked, especially shooting the 1-4 Point Blank Reticle at steel plates. Huge fun and I haven't looked back since.
I started doing freelance PR work for Nikon about 16 months later and haven't looked back. I have been using their scopes for more then 20 years by choice and when you grow up in Oregon guy's riase their brow at you for not having a L. scope....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQDxtytXLxc
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top