Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/9/2016 12:59:50 PM EDT
Trying to change out some scope rings and ended up stripping one of the torx screws pretty badly.  In hopes of using the rings again in the future, was wondering what tool (specific size would help) to use from here.  I've looked on amazon, midway etc but I just want to be sure I order the proper size bit.  

Also the screw is recessed so can't just clamp onto it, needs to be something that drills into it backwards i guess.

thanks for the help
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:02:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#2]
First, make sure you use the correct size Torx ? The one size down gets used inadvertently because it will fit,  I see it all the time!  An old trick for small screws is to drill the appropriate hole in the stripped screw then tap in appropriate Torx bit to form the socket, then remove as you normally would.  It's not easy but I do this all the time and save lots of custom fixturing and parts that way.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#3]
These also work pretty well.

http://www.amazon.com/SpeedOut-Damaged-Screw-Extractor-Bolt/dp/B00IRL3WP4

Sold by lots of people under many different brand names.

Home Depot, lowes, also have them.

Many different sizes are available, choose carefully, as too small, it breaks or strips, too big it will take the head off the screw.

Did you originally assemble the sight base - was it Loctited ? If so, it just got a lot more complicated.

You might need a person experienced in dealing with this issue.

Knowledge = learning how to do something

Experience = learning how to NOT do something, again.

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:26:45 PM EDT
[#4]
An easy out is the first answer, but if its a real small thin head, it may just eat the head without moving the screw.

Depending on the thickness of the ring cap, you may be able to drill out the head of the damaged screw, remove the ring cap and scope. Then grap the remaining piece sticking out with a pair of vice grips and back it out. It shouldn't be under tension when you remove the cap so it should just back right out.

Did you use Red or blue thread locker? Then you will need to apply heat to liquify the thread locker before you try to twist it or you will just snap it off in the ring.

The other question is the cost of a replacement ring... is it cheaper to just drill out the scre head to get the ring open and replace it with a new ring vs the cost of a screw extractor and your time to remove the old screw.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:43:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a similar problem with a gas block set screw.  I brought it to my smith and he just shoved a flat blade screw driver into it and twisted it out.  Didn't think of that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Same as the SpeedOut listed above.  I've had good luck with it as well.

Grabit
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks everyone for the help.  Tried borrowing some tools from someone and didn't have great success with it.  But I figured i'd email Burris to see what they could do, and for the price of shipping them the rings (<10$) they said they'll fix it and return it.  

definitely makes me consider buying those brands with good CS and warranty.  Thus far Burris is gaining my business.  emailed me back promptly, worked with me through my mess up.  

So can't really beat that.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I just did this today changing the mount on my T1. I drilled the head off the screw, removed the mount and then use a small set of channel locks to remove the remaining piece. Just use a drill bit the same size as the hole the screw goes in and do it slow!
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Left hand drill bits.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:24:19 PM EDT
[#10]
JB-Weld a Torx bit into the stripped screw.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Since nobody has mentioned it, one I had a lot of luck with when working on customer rifles was a doubled rubber band then really get the torx bit in there to compress the rubber into the gaps.

Not a 100% chance of working, but it could save a fair bit of time on the other methods.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Left hand drill bits.
View Quote

No I just used a regular bit
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried a using a rubber band? It has worked for me before, but never had to try it with a torx screw.

edit: Yeah what NorthPolar said
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If you use a left hand when it catches hard the screw backs out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just did this today changing the mount on my T1. I drilled the head off the screw, removed the mount and then use a small set of channel locks to remove the remaining piece. Just use a drill bit the same size as the hole the screw goes in and do it slow!
View Quote

Thanks for this. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but as a quick check, what size bit did you use?
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:46:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks for this. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but as a quick check, what size bit did you use?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used a 1/8" bit and drilled slow checking occasionally if the mount was ready to come loose. I bought the speed out bits specifically for this but I found that they wouldn't work for me. The screw was so soft that it wouldn't catch. So I went to a regular drill bit, once the head is off the screw and the mount is off then there should be what's left of the screw sticking up and use pliars to remove it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to be gripping a very tiny piece of the tip sticking out try to avoid regular pliers .    If you have them a nice fine pair of small vise grips (real Irwins, not PRC junk) is the best.   They make small short nosed as well as small needle nosed grips.     The short ones work best if you can get on it ok where the long nose have a bit of side play.    Either will do less damage to the little real meat you have to grab onto to get those out.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you are going to be gripping a very tiny piece of the tip sticking out try to avoid regular pliers .    If you have them a nice fine pair of small vise grips (real Irwins, not PRC junk) is the best.   They make small short nosed as well as small needle nosed grips.     The short ones work best if you can get on it ok where the long nose have a bit of side play.    Either will do less damage to the little real meat you have to grab onto to get those out.
View Quote

^ this! I said pliars but I should have said this
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top