Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2008 2:00:29 PM EDT
I'd prefer to mount my sling at the rear of the handguards.  However, that seems like it's only an option for those with rails forends.

What is M4 side sling mount going to do to my barrel?  Yes, I'm a baby, and no, I don't want to have shiny marks on the barrel if I should ever get rid of the handguards and go with a railed forend.  How tight does it mount to the barrel (standard .750 at the FSB)?  No movement?

The FSB doesn't appear to have enough for the GG&G Sling Thing to grab on to, so I'm not sure if I like that route.

The BFG SOC-C Modular Front Band looks like it's just a big bulky thing strapped to the handguard.  Almost hokey looking.

The BFG UWL seems like it would just flop around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]

IDF sling.  A couple laps around the front sight tower with paracord and your good to go.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really interested in paracord either, or bailing wire for that matter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 7:14:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I use M4 side sling mounts and 2 point slings on all my ARs with standard handguards.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I use M4 side sling mounts and 2 point slings on all my ARs with standard handguards.

Would you mind answering my question shown in the second paragraph of the original post?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2008 8:26:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would you mind answering my question shown in the second paragraph of the original post?  Thanks.

Yes, the mount does wiggle a little bit and will leave rub marks on the barrel. If it bugs you after it is removed you can touch it up with cold blue.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#6]
what's wrong with the built in sling mount under the FSB?

unless you are set on the mount being at the rear of the handguards...

have u considered a single point sling that mounts via a lower receiver buttplate?

also, they make weaver/picatinny rails that attach to the holes in the standard handguards.  not sure where u can pick them up, but i have seen them before and they feel solid.  then any weaver/picatinny sling mount will work(YHM, etc.).  they might even make a sling mount that utilizes one of these holes.  try some google or ebay searches and see what u come up with
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I want the front of the sling to mount to the side of the rifle, not the underside.  Preferrably in the rear, but I'd settle for the front too.  I just want the attaching point to be solid and not polish the barrel or FSB to a fine sheen.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I run a GG&G qd sling thing on my RRA.  If you have a fixed front sight it will fit fine.  That is what it is designed for.  The version I use has a small rail on the right side and the QD on th left side of the sight pst.
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 9:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
My RRA Elite CAR A4 came with the side sling mount on the barrel and it didn't move at all.  I then switched it around for lefty use and I could never get it to fit tight.  It did leave some smothing to the barrel's finish when I removed it completely after installing my railed forend.  A rail mounted to the FSB might be better.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2008 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]

something like this?
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 3:09:41 AM EDT
[#11]
twonami - That appears to be the M4 side sling mount.  Is this the one here?

Others have reported shininess of the barrel due to the M4 side sling mount moving on it the barrel.  I personally would like to avoid this.  I know, I know, our rifles are simply tools, designed to be rolled around in the dirt with, but I still like to keep mine looking nice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got the GG&G sling thing.  So far it works great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
twonami - That appears to be the M4 side sling mount.  Is this the one here?

img210.imageshack.us/img210/6015/sideslingep3.jpg

i150.photobucket.com/albums/s95/MMcfpd/Side_sling_swivel_2.jpg

yep. came on my SW AR
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top