Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/4/2011 8:43:38 AM EDT
Fobbit here.  Looking for a scabbard to attach to the bicycle I ride about the FOB - standard 10-speed type frame, albeit the front diagonal is a heavy oval member instead of the old round tube.  We carry amber here, & I've got the Aimpoint @ the very front of the receiver.  Any ideas on what I could order from Wally-World or somewhere else that I could just drop it in & go?  I'm getting tired of slinging it tight against my back & then throwing a backpack on top - an M-4's kinda knobby.

Farmers Fight!

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#1]

Seriously though, google "swiss military bicycle rifle" and see what shows up. They kept soldiers bicycle-borne for a long time.

Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
They have a MOLLE shotgun scabbard that you could probably attach to the bike, but with the M4 magazine and receiver set up, I don't think it would fit inside.

shotgun scabbard
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#3]
HSGI has a molle AR scabbard, I've got one on a pack for an SBR...

http://www.highspeedgearinc.com/products.asp?cat=17
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#4]
What about one of those fancy backpacks that allows for the rifle to be put into the back of it? Can't think of who makes them now.
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 10:23:18 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks like it just might work w/ some zip ties & duct tape.  Ridiculous, redneck, & functional.

FF!

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 12:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Make your own scabbard out of a coupla used flak vests.  That way,  you can get down behind some cover when you start taking fire AND have your rifle...  
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Right, but the grocery's sold out of flak vests @ the moment, and the soft armor only stops pistol bullets & slow fragments.  We're not quite sure over here why the Army's still issuing soft armor, b/c the new vest has 4 plates in it, but if you keep all the soft armor and then add all the neck protectors, groin protectors, etc, you can barely move.  It would seem the SF are showing the Army the way w/ their plate carriers that stop rifle bullets & high speed fragments from vehicle armor after an IED.

Yes, our TCN grocery store really does sell flak vests... life on the FOB.  I suppose I could strap my vest to the bike, but then I'd have to carry it in & out of work w/ me, lest someone acquire the non-exportable plates...  Maybe I could get the alterations shop to sew me a plate carrier that would strap into the triangle of the bike, then if we get incoming, I can just pull the bike over top of me, lol.

FF!

1LT GB
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/7/2011 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You're a Fobbit.  What do you need with a Plate Carrier anyway?

I'm not quite sure what new vest you're talking about, but usually 2 out of those 4 plates are optional.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 5:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Make Capt and move up to a golf cart.

Thanks for your time in the sandbox.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#11]
you know... there was an AR15 like... holster i noticed awhile back...

it was like a sort of clip attachment that clipped onto an attachment point you could put on your belt or molle gear.  something like that would work.

But for the life of me i can't find it through google now.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Ride the bus to Salsa Night like the rest of the fobbits.
Link Posted: 3/27/2011 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Here's the armed bicycle:

Armed bicycle
Link Posted: 3/28/2011 3:41:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Here's the armed bicycle:

Armed bicycle

High 10 Speed, Low Drag
Effort

And Tactical

Link Posted: 3/28/2011 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Well, I could be off here, but I would look into a rifle-holding pack. No way I would want my rifle attached to my bike. You're not going to fire your rifle while on the bike, and if you are in a situation that you have to rapidly ditch or bail from the bike... goodbye rifle.
Additionally, having the rifle strapped to the side of the bike is going to throw off the bikes balance, which you can compensate for with practice, but as an experienced mountain-biker I wouldn't want a seven-pound(unloaded minimum) bulky object strapped to the side of my bike.
Definitely get a rifle-pack in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Good lord no, I won't fire my rifle from my bike.  I couldn't fire it from my back when I had it slung back there, either.  This way it's a bit more easily accessible.  It doesn't throw off the balance much, but then I'm riding gravel & broken tarmac, not a mountain bike trail.  And if I do have to get off the bike in a hurry due to gravity interfering w/ my ride, then I don't have the silly thing w/ knobby protrusions strapped to my back - it's aimed @ an entirely different part of my body...

Farmers Fight!

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/29/2011 5:40:45 PM EDT
[#17]
tie the damn thing to the handle bars.  You can swipe a couple of those small tie down straps like for holding down ammo cans inside.  Why get high tech on this?
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 9:06:45 AM EDT
[#18]
B/c a man's gotta have a hobby, on a moving vehicle, it should be pointed towards the ground, & I can only order so many shoulder sheathed knives off Amazon, so I have to have something to do in my spare time than brood about work.

FF!

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Are you in Basrah? we Amber here too. Only 2 places in Iraqistan you can Amber carry.  But I do understand the hobby issue. When I am not on a flight, I am bored to death.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Good lord no, I won't fire my rifle from my bike.  I couldn't fire it from my back when I had it slung back there, either.  This way it's a bit more easily accessible.  It doesn't throw off the balance much, but then I'm riding gravel & broken tarmac, not a mountain bike trail.  And if I do have to get off the bike in a hurry due to gravity interfering w/ my ride, then I don't have the silly thing w/ knobby protrusions strapped to my back - it's aimed @ an entirely different part of my body...

Farmers Fight!

backbencher

Haha, yes well I see your point. I was rather implying that in the event that you needed to quickly bail off your bike (due to a need to take cover and return fire), you would then be without your primary arm. However, I don't know where you are posted and as such, the likelihood of you actually being in that position may be a non-issue. I was concluding that if you are required to carry, you may be in a position of having to use it.
I would also think that rifle-packs would have to be comfortable to wear with an AR, as that is what they are made for, but honestly I have never used one, so I can't testify on that.
Do what you're comfortable with though, you're the only one who truly knows your needs.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top