Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2011 5:07:32 PM EDT
I have a DPMS Sweet 16 just like the one pictured, How do I add a a bipod to it.

Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
remove the front sling swivel, install bipod, attach sling swivel to bipod. Every Harris I've dicked with had this ability.
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Will this work? It says "Clever dual mounting - Picatinny Mount and swivel stud mount".

UTG Bipod Picatinny and Swivel Stud
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 7:03:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's how a Harris bipod works. I can't tell how the UTG works.

Bipod/sling stud on free-float tube by Ry Jones, on Flickr

Harris bipod allows sling use while installed. by Ry Jones, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/4/2011 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#4]
So is there just a pin that goes through the stud?

EDIT: OK I just pulled my rifle to check the sling stud. It unscrew on one side and has a spring loaded pin. You push it and turn and then it pulls right out. I'm guessing they all work like that. I'm guessing the UTG installs with rails or that same style pin.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 5:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I would stick with a good brand like harris. They specialize in bipods for that style of swivel stud. In my experience (as well as most others) UTG is garbage. I used some UTG stuff on my son's pellet gun and it failed in that application, so I doubt it would make it long on a real firearm. If you have to hold that wobbly bipod still with your hand, doesn't it defeat the purpose all together?
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#6]
On other good brands out there besides Harris? Again just something for the range so not looking to break the bank.
Link Posted: 7/5/2011 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy once, cry once. A Harris bipod is twice what a UTG bipod is, and it will last forever.

You might consider forgoing a bipod altogether and use a shooting bag. Here are a bunch of them for ~$40.
Link Posted: 7/7/2011 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I ended up getting a UTG, price was to cheap to pass up and if it ends up being junk I won't be loosing much. If it ends up being junk I'll get me a harris.  UTG OP1 Tactical Bipod Review

UTG  is on the Right, Unknown brand on the left.

Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:42:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't mean to poop on your parade, but I bought the UTG bipod and it wont sit my rifle level. Maybe yours will give you better results than mine.

The UTG is better than the POS Promag bipod I had years ago. Just saw one at the local Academy Sports for $49
Link Posted: 7/9/2011 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't mean to poop on your parade, but I bought the UTG bipod and it wont sit my rifle level. Maybe yours will give you better results than mine.

The UTG is better than the POS Promag bipod I had years ago. Just saw one at the local Academy Sports for $49

I have a stack of garbage bipods from before I finally saw the wisdom of buy once, cry once.

Well, had. Gave them all away. To the trash.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#11]
If your bi-pod is just a designer item and not used buy a cheap Chinese knock off.  If you plan on using it either from a bench or shooting prone get the S Harris with a pod loc.  They just plain work, and you can resell and recoup most of your investment unlike a cheap ones.  If you have a good day on the poker machines or hit a lotto # buy a Atlas.
Link Posted: 7/10/2011 6:48:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It should be here this week, so I'll be able to see if It is scrap metal or not. I will be looking into another bipod which for sure will be a Harris.
Link Posted: 7/11/2011 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
This site shows a similar to Harris bipod for approx $40. I bought one from Walmart for a 10/22 bird shootin rifle and it works great.

NO it is not the same quality as Harris bipods, but it is still nice. A couple other people I know bought one or two and they are happy with them as well. I did a review here a while back and compared my Harris bipod to this one side by side.

You might be able to run down the street and find one locally. Sure would save you from buying UTG crap and save ya some shipping too. If your box was sent via UPS I'd just refuse the shipment and it will be sent back automatically. Give it a few days then call for a refund MINUS your shipping costs.

Link Posted: 7/24/2011 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I put 110 rounds through my rifle with my UTG bipod today and it held up great. It was a little wobbly but then I noticed it was tightened down all the way down onto the adapter.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top