Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2013 5:19:18 PM EDT

I would like to get a x300 surefire and put it on an ar 15.
I know it will mount to a 1913 rail, but will it be gtg if I leave it on the rail; subjecting it to hundreds and eventually thousands of rounds?
I know sf makes great lights, but i'd like to make sure I shouldn't buy a scout light for a rifle.

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I would like to get a x300 surefire and put it on an ar 15.
I know it will mount to a 1913 rail, but will it be gtg if I leave it on the rail; subjecting it to hundreds and eventually thousands of rounds?
I know sf makes great lights, but i'd like to make sure I shouldn't buy a scout light for a rifle.

Thank you
View Quote

Compared to the Scout the X300 has a lot of plastic on it. X300 for pistols, Scouts and Millenniums for rifles.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they work great.  You are hard pressed to find the balance of durability, weight and brightness you get with the X300U.

- Weight with light, batteries and mount: 4.0 oz
- 500 Lumens with plenty of spill and throw; balanced beam
- When mounted at 12:00 - Ambi activation (momentary on by depressing paddle, static on my flipping paddles)
- When mounted at 12:00 - light is out of way and wont get hung up on barriers. Also is protected by barrel and Fixed FSB from getting banged up
- You can mount this light to a pistol rail as well for double duty between long gun / handgun
- Retails for less than $210. Purchased mine from Grabagun.com. Brightflashlights.com is good as well.

The scout and Fury series are also great lights.  You really can't make a bad choice.  The fact I could also pull the X300 off and put on my pistols helped sell me.  I also really wanted a 12:00 mount after having lights mounted at 10:00 / 11:00.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
That is what the X300 was made for.  It is a great rifle light with plenty of throw.  It was designed to take a beating and will hold up to a lot more than you can dish out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:35:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all very very much!
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I use X300U's on all of my primary guns for the reasons listed above. Its a really great solution.

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#6]
X300 at 12:00 is such a great option.  As stated above, its SUPER light, and keeps the front end of the gun very streamlined.  I've ran mine this way for awhile, and don't anticipate changing it anytime soon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Larry Vickers runs them at 12 on his carbines, Pat Rogers won't have one on a carbine. Both of them have "been there, done that", and both of them have seen a lot of rounds go downrange from the instructor standpoint. I am pretty sure that people other than them will also have varying philosophies on whether or not the X300 is good to go on a rifle.

That being said, if you are in the camp that wants to run one on a rifle, I strongly suggest this:

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/09/09/ut-exo/

If you don't require the 500 lumen output, and 250-300 OTF lumens will work, I have been running one of these:

http://www.defensereview.com/rosch-works-rw-sl1-sight-light-review-making-the-most-of-your-ar-15m4m4a1-carbinesbrs-tactical-real-estate/

At a total weight of 3.2oz including battery, it's the lightest possible setup for a FSP+light combo that I know of. The Malkoff LED module and excellent machining make it nearly bomb-proof.

X300U at 25 yards:

SL-1 at 20 yards:

X300U at 50 yards:

SL-1 at 50 yards:

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Larry Vickers runs them at 12 on his carbines, Pat Rogers won't have one on a carbine. Both of them have "been there, done that", and both of them have seen a lot of rounds go downrange from the instructor standpoint. I am pretty sure that people other than them will also have varying philosophies on whether or not the X300 is good to go on a rifle.

That being said, if you are in the camp that wants to run one on a rifle, I strongly suggest this:
http://jerkingthetrigger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Unity-Tactical-EXO-2.jpg

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/09/09/ut-exo/

If you don't require the 500 lumen output, and 250-300 OTF lumens will work, I have been running one of these:
**SNIP**

At a total weight of 3.2oz including battery, it's the lightest possible setup for a FSP+light combo that I know of. The Malkoff LED module and excellent machining make it nearly bomb-proof.

X300U at 25 yards:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2nqabtk.jpg
SL-1 at 20 yards:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2ch1fr7.jpg
X300U at 50 yards:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2j10b41.jpg
SL-1 at 50 yards:
http://i40.tinypic.com/53u77l.jpg
View Quote

I'd rather use a fixed FSB to help protect the light and accept the risk

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the BUIS usable in that second picture down?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:00:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Pretty much all my gind rock an x300.

My SBR I have a scout light on though
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the X300 U. Great to mount at a 12 oclock position.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

-The BUIS are usable with the X300U and the EXO from Unity Tactical as though the EXO wasn't there. The EXO is all but transparent to the user from a sighting stand-point (I know you know this, but I say it for others who have not handled one).

-The SL-1 IS the BUIS. It is a darn near bomb-proof integrated unit that is the BUIS and the light. Made from one chunk of 7075 aluminum with a head and a tail-cap, both of which are top-notch. The light portion of the SL-1 is invisible to me using an Eotech EXPS3. All I see is the sight as a BUIS in my lower 1/3.

They are two different solutions. I prefer the SL-1 for indoors/closer for the beam profile and output (250 OTF lumens once it's warmed up, probably more initially, but it settles to around 250.), and the X300U is a much better solution for 50+ yards or rural areas or hunting or whatever needs more horsepower.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:15:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

-The BUIS are usable with the X300U and the EXO from Unity Tactical as though the EXO wasn't there. The EXO is all but transparent to the user from a sighting stand-point (I know you know this, but I say it for others who have not handled one).

-The SL-1 IS the BUIS. It is a darn near bomb-proof integrated unit that is the BUIS and the light. Made from one chunk of 7075 aluminum with a head and a tail-cap, both of which are top-notch. The light portion of the SL-1 is invisible to me using an Eotech EXPS3. All I see is the sight as a BUIS in my lower 1/3.

They are two different solutions. I prefer the SL-1 for indoors/closer for the beam profile and output (250 OTF lumens once it's warmed up, probably more initially, but it settles to around 250.), and the X300U is a much better solution for 50+ yards or rural areas or hunting or whatever needs more horsepower.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he meant this picture.  

I don't know if this is the same guy but I've seen this before with a guy who was right handed and had a right eye injury that essentially blinded it ... so he Aims with his left eye.  To do this he has to get a much higher mount and lean his head over the mid-line of the rifle to get his left eye in the eye box of the EOTech.  It doesn't appear the BUIS are usable while the EO is mounted, but they'd work just fine if he pulled the EO off.

I know a guy who had a similar issue but instead just chose the train weak side and now only shoots rifles left handed.  He's a good shooter and I suspect the guy pictured below is as well.

ETA:  The light pictured below is pretty ingenious, color me impressed.  I still like that the X300U is multi-use and I can move it from my rifles to pistols in seconds.

Link Posted: 10/24/2013 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#15]
I plan on using a URX II so 12 o' clock is a no-go (hand guard has a built in flip up sight)
I would use the x300 either 3 6 or 9 o' clock
I like the idea of using SF's pressure pad for the x300 (button for constant on, pad for momentary) it also features a kill-switch to avoid AD's
I like the x300 due to size, weight and output, the ultra scout is nice but it's a bit larger (long) than i'd like
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:14:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know if this is the same guy but I've seen this before with a guy who was right handed and had a right eye injury that essentially blinded it ... so he Aims with his left eye.  To do this he has to get a much higher mount and lean his head over the mid-line of the rifle to get his left eye in the eye box of the EOTech.  It doesn't appear the BUIS are usable while the EO is mounted, but they'd work just fine if he pulled the EO off.

I know a guy who had a similar issue but instead just chose the train weak side and now only shoots rifles left handed.  He's a good shooter and I suspect the guy pictured below is as well.

ETA:  The light pictured below is pretty ingenious, color me impressed.  I still like that the X300U is multi-use and I can move it from my rifles to pistols in seconds.

http://2323862zru3v2q2fq331fqh87fk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ROSCH_Works_RW_SL1_Sight_Light_Tactical_Weapon_Front_Sight_BUIS_Back_Up_Iron_Sight_on_Bravo_Company_Manufacturing_BCM_KeyMod_Handguard_Rail_KMR_Mike_Pannone_CTT_Solutions_DefenseReview.com_DR_4.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://2323862zru3v2q2fq331fqh87fk.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ROSCH_Works_RW_SL1_Sight_Light_Tactical_Weapon_Front_Sight_BUIS_Back_Up_Iron_Sight_on_Bravo_Company_Manufacturing_BCM_KeyMod_Handguard_Rail_KMR_Mike_Pannone_CTT_Solutions_DefenseReview.com_DR_4.jpg

That is Mike Pannone. He did indeed have his eye forcefully removed by an explosion and the elevation you see his Eotech at is to allow him to work around this. This is a unique setup specifically to him, and perhaps others in his situation. He's a decent shot and knows a little about the platform.

Mike Pannone is a former operational member of U.S. Marine Reconnaissance, U.S. Army Special Forces, and specially selected elements of the Joint Special Operations Command. He has participated in stabilization, combat, and high risk protection operations in support of U.S. policies throughout the word as both an active duty military member, and a civilian contractor. During his military career, Mr. Pannone was the Distinguished Honor Graduate of a Level 1 SOTIC held at Ft Bragg. He currently instructs U.S. military, law enforcement (LE), and private citizens around the country.

http://www.ctt-solutions.com/aboutus.html
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:25:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Gotcha,

makes total sense now. I didn't recognize him in that pic.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top