Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2015 6:49:22 PM EDT
Now that these have been available for a few months to the civilian/LEO community....was wondering what owners think of them.

Any feedback?
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#1]
It is a very strong performer.  The IR laser illuminator is good to 150 yards or so.  With the diffuser on it is perfect for indoors use.   Of the currently available IR illumination offerings it is the tops if you need to maximize discretion of the source AND want a small/well designed platform with need of use of multiple switches.   The IR laser pointer has a built in neutral density filter that keeps bloom to a minimum at close ranges and can be rotated up to provide more reach out to the limits of target ID under the best of Gen 3+ NVG.

We will see once the DBAL A3 civ version comes out how it compares, but you can't really go wrong with the ATPIAL C if you want to buy now.  The only downside I see is that it doesn't work well with the HSP thorntail light mount I like for my Surefire P2X Fury white light.  I had to move the white light off of the 1030 position where I normally run it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll let you know middle of next week when mine gets here.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 10:01:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Please do...right now I'm running the Surefire X400 Ultra, but manipulating it on/off with the light is a bit cumbersome.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Just as a heads up, you'll probably get a lot more answers if you post in the Night Vision Forum.

I know quite a few guys over there have had hands on with the ATPIAL-C since it's been released.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 2:20:02 AM EDT
[#6]
How to mount a good white light with the ATPIAL has been solved by Unity Tactical and TNVC.

Pictures are of the following setup - LWRC Six8 UCIW with ATPIAL C, Unity Vtac Micro Hub + ATPIAL Adapter (Right side) + Unity flip up front sight + 1" ring, used with a Surefire Fury P2X light and a T1 red dot.    Total rifle as shown weighs in at 7 lbs, 13 oz. and 24.5" OAL.  I mounted the flip fronts in front of the ATPIAL to get maximum sight radius and declutter the area on the top rail.

Front sight up from two angles

All lasers and illuminators clear the light and irons without backsplash as intended.  The IR laser looks close from that angle, but does not actually interfere with the beam as confirmed with my NVGs.

Front sight down from two angles

Again, all lasers and illuminators clear without backsplash or interference - even with the diffuser down on the IR illum.

Top View

Pros
1.  Allows use of back up irons, with a great white light while providing slaved vis/ir lasers and onboard IR laser illumination
2.  Offers several different configuration modes with front sight in front of or behind the ATPIAL and with the light mounted to either side of the forearm.  (Note you will have to buy two different adapters to do front/back and side/side as you wish.  If you can narrow down what you are looking for, you can eliminate one side.

Cons
1.  Is not compatable with Spikes BAR fore end as the scalloped ribs interfere with the mount.  It did work with my rail systems from LMT, Colt, LWRC, etc.  May want to verify it works with your rail.
2.  Mounting the light on the side can limit access to the fire button on the ATPIAL.  If the new TAPS switching system is reliable, this may be your one shop stop.  It is certainly reachable but not ideal as is.  If the TAPS works as advertised, I'll move the light to the right side of the rifle and run a dual switch on the left side.  I just really hate the switches available up to this point.

On the whole I'm very excited by the possibilities.  Hope this helps some of yall trying to find white light setups to go with the ATPIAL.

Cliff's notes - buy the RIGHT Side ATPIAL adapter if you want the light on the RIGHT side of the rifle with the hub to the REAR of the ATPIAL OR, if you want the light on the LEFT side of the rifle AND the hub forward of the ATPIAL.  Buy the LEFT side ATPIAL adapter if you are looking for the opposite.  You won't be disappointed in the quality or integration options on the kit.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking setup there, congrats.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How to mount a good white light with the ATPIAL has been solved by Unity Tactical and TNVC.

Pictures are of the following setup - LWRC Six8 UCIW with ATPIAL C, Unity Vtac Micro Hub + ATPIAL Adapter (Right side) + Unity flip up front sight + 1" ring, used with a Surefire Fury P2X light and a T1 red dot.    Total rifle as shown weighs in at 7 lbs, 13 oz. and 24.5" OAL.  I mounted the flip fronts in front of the ATPIAL to get maximum sight radius and declutter the area on the top rail.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/dvlray6/firearms/IMG_0544_zps3zpupqrm.jpg

Front sight up from two angles
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/dvlray6/firearms/IMG_0541_zpsddntqr7e.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/dvlray6/firearms/IMG_0548_zpsowws27nr.jpg
All lasers and illuminators clear the light and irons without backsplash as intended.  The IR laser looks close from that angle, but does not actually interfere with the beam as confirmed with my NVGs.

Front sight down from two angles
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/dvlray6/firearms/IMG_0540_zpsauonbnzh.jpg
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/dvlray6/firearms/IMG_0546_zps0s6n92wl.jpg
Again, all lasers and illuminators clear without backsplash or interference - even with the diffuser down on the IR illum.

Top View
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r82/dvlray6/firearms/IMG_0545_zpss8jlvttw.jpg

Pros
1.  Allows use of back up irons, with a great white light while providing slaved vis/ir lasers and onboard IR laser illumination
2.  Offers several different configuration modes with front sight in front of or behind the ATPIAL and with the light mounted to either side of the forearm.  (Note you will have to buy two different adapters to do front/back and side/side as you wish.  If you can narrow down what you are looking for, you can eliminate one side.

Cons
1.  Is not compatable with Spikes BAR fore end as the scalloped ribs interfere with the mount.  It did work with my rail systems from LMT, Colt, LWRC, etc.  May want to verify it works with your rail.
2.  Mounting the light on the side can limit access to the fire button on the ATPIAL.  If the new TAPS switching system is reliable, this may be your one shop stop.  It is certainly reachable but not ideal as is.  If the TAPS works as advertised, I'll move the light to the right side of the rifle and run a dual switch on the left side.  I just really hate the switches available up to this point.

On the whole I'm very excited by the possibilities.  Hope this helps some of yall trying to find white light setups to go with the ATPIAL.

Cliff's notes - buy the RIGHT Side ATPIAL adapter if you want the light on the RIGHT side of the rifle with the hub to the REAR of the ATPIAL OR, if you want the light on the LEFT side of the rifle AND the hub forward of the ATPIAL.  Buy the LEFT side ATPIAL adapter if you are looking for the opposite.  You won't be disappointed in the quality or integration options on the kit.
View Quote

Great minds think alike?  

I have that same exact Unity Tactical setup in the mail right now.  Mine's for a Scout light though.  
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top