Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2007 6:55:50 AM EDT
Does anybody have a step by step guide on silver soldering a new flash suppressor onto an AR15.  I couldn't find much on a search of the forum.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#1]
haven't done any on an AR yet but have done them on a number of FALs.  Pretty easy to do with a MAPP gas kit from Home Depot.  Get the silver solder paste from Brownells.  You just put it on the threads, screw on the flash hider, and heat it up until it's red.  All there is to it.  I also used the heat absorbing paste on the barrel to keep the heat from traveling down the barrel.  The only issue I had was the first time I used too much silver solder paste and some flowed over the crown.  Had to take it off and redoe it after recutting the crown.  Pretty easy to do.  Hope this helps.

Brett
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 5:08:20 AM EDT
[#2]
That sounds a lot easier than I thought.  Looks like that silver solder paste isn't cheap though.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 12:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/5/2007 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 8:07:15 AM EDT
[#6]
can any type of welder be used?   or what would be best my buddy has a mig welder would that work?
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
The most important part is in the removing and cleanup of the excess weld and then the re-finishing.

What kind of grinder (dermal?) do you use to clean up the weld?  

Where is a good place to get the stuff to make it black?
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 on the silver solder paste crap.
I've built many AK's and tried this on 2 of them. Having to redo them is a PITA.
Don't waste your hard earned money on this method.
As Randall stated, blind pin and welding is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
In the event that anyone ignores the sound advice of this thread and uses silver solder anyway, get your wrench and torque test your results afterward.  You may find you wasted your time and have an illegal firearm.  Silver solder is not the method you want to use, unless it is to hold a pin in place.  Still not the best idea.

LINK to read
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top