Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2010 6:34:07 AM EDT
I've read "chainsaw sharpener bit" but when I google that I get pictures of 3 bits that are different colors and appear to be different sizes and with different textures. Which one do I use?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a problem with your gun leading you to want to make this mod?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#2]
go to walmart and find the dremel stuff. The bits come in a 2pack for something like $8. They are the normal metal shaft with a green cylinder on it and is says chainsaw sharpener on it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:48:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Somehow I managed to swap receivers on two builds, and now I have an upper with a receiver w/ feed ramps and a barrel w/out.

Needless to say, she jams.

And I don't feel like going thru the hassle of disassembling/reassembling both uppers, especially since I gouged one of the upper receivers w/ a punch and I don't want to deface my nicer build with a gouged receiver. I fully expect to beat both uppers to hell hunting/shooting but why start out like that?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Oops
I've done a couple barrels on a mill with carbide tooling, 5/16" diameter i believe...maybe...

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:59:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Somehow I managed to swap receivers on two builds, and now I have an upper with a receiver w/ feed ramps and a barrel w/out.

How did you not catch this prior to assembly?

I'd guess a home feedramp job would leave an UN-anodized impact surface that would be soft and eventually lead to problems.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:21:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did you not catch this prior to assembly?

I'd guess a home feedramp job would leave an UN-anodized impact surface that would be soft and eventually lead to problems.

I think he wants to add ramps to the BARREL to match the receiver...
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

And I don't feel like going thru the hassle of disassembling/reassembling both uppers, especially since I gouged one of the upper receivers w/ a punch and I don't want to deface my nicer build with a gouged receiver. I fully expect to beat both uppers to hell hunting/shooting but why start out like that?

Spend the money and buy a new receiver.   PK has a RRA without feed ramps for $105.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Adco will do it for $15..  However, their website actually says that they just dremel the ramps and that it's an easy enough job that anyone can do it.
Maybe you could email them and ask what bit they use.
I would just eye-ball it and go really slow.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top