Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 9
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 4:21:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I like this thread... A LOT
Link Posted: 8/26/2012 11:05:50 PM EDT
[#2]
i worked for years with the real life boomhower (sp?) he was onsite engineer at a hospital i worked at and when he got employee of the month i swapped his pic for one of the animated boomhower....he was the only one who didnt get it
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey Brodband8, Kudos to you and your American enginuity. I am sure like some other I kinda ran with your idea. Although it is not as clean as your version, I am using a cheap Tapco SAW grip with a Magpul MOE stock. I simply bolted the bar to the back of the handgrip. I made the bar just a little bit longer so my nose was not all the way up against the back of the receiver when shooting the rifle. So the grip stays in place, I am thinking of glueing a small half round shaft on each side of where the grip mounts. Then inside the grip itself cutting a grove in each side so the half round guide bars can hold the grip against the receiver while moving back and forth. My reasoning is that when you fire the rifle, the grip just kinda hangs there and could get hung up or bind on the receiver going back and forth very fast. Now here is the big question.......since you have no plans on selling these stock kits and now you have opened a huge door for everybody to enter. Would you be offended if we post our versions of these stock kits? Mainly to see different version for some constrictive critizism. I too think that the price of the Slidefire is outrageous, So the homemade version is very cool. I remember years ago in the 90's there were spring attachments that you could bolt to the trigger gaurd behind the trigger which would then assist you in a bumpfire mode.  I think they called them "Hellfire" trigger attachment. I could never get it to work. I think I still have one some where.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
AWESOME!

One of my future builds will be a 9mm AR with a bump fire stock.. Already looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i worked for years with the real life boomhower (sp?) he was onsite engineer at a hospital i worked at and when he got employee of the month i swapped his pic for one of the animated boomhower....he was the only one who didnt get it

Like, you worked with Mike Judge?  Or just someone that looked and sounded like Boomhauer?  I worked with a lady, yes a lady who sounded just like Boomhauer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey Brodband8, Kudos to you and your American enginuity. I am sure like some other I kinda ran with your idea. Although it is not as clean as your version, I am using a cheap Tapco SAW grip with a Magpul MOE stock. I simply bolted the bar to the back of the handgrip. I made the bar just a little bit longer so my nose was not all the way up against the back of the receiver when shooting the rifle. So the grip stays in place, I am thinking of glueing a small half round shaft on each side of where the grip mounts. Then inside the grip itself cutting a grove in each side so the half round guide bars can hold the grip against the receiver while moving back and forth. My reasoning is that when you fire the rifle, the grip just kinda hangs there and could get hung up or bind on the receiver going back and forth very fast. Now here is the big question.......since you have no plans on selling these stock kits and now you have opened a huge door for everybody to enter. Would you be offended if we post our versions of these stock kits? Mainly to see different version for some constrictive critizism. I too think that the price of the Slidefire is outrageous, So the homemade version is very cool. I remember years ago in the 90's there were spring attachments that you could bolt to the trigger gaurd behind the trigger which would then assist you in a bumpfire mode.  I think they called them "Hellfire" trigger attachment. I could never get it to work. I think I still have one some where.

I don't mind at all, I actually want to see what you all can make.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 12:38:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I have some cheapo furniture on the way to give it a shot.

I eventually want to try it with a 5.45 upper. Don't have one yet.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't mind at all, I actually want to see what you all can make.

OK....here we go! This is what I came up with. The thing I like so much about the entire idea, it is so basic and simple. I thought I would step it up a knotch and try it on an AR with steriods. I am going to try this on an AR-10. I still do not have the half round guide rod idea yet bet I am working on materials to implement it. Also, I still have to make my trigger finger index plate and conect it to the hand grip. I found a piece of 1/8" thick cabon fiber sheet to make it out of. It should look pretty cool with the carbon firber look. So you are the man when it comes to this. Give me some advice good or bad....ALL info is priceless. The thing that is so cool, is that I can use this on an AR-15 also. I will eventually paint the conecting rod.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire001.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire002.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire003.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire004.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire005.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire006.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/rdb241/slidefire007.jpg
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You've got the idea.  It doesn't have to look exactly like mine at all as long as it works.
I think if I end up making another one I am going to get a much stronger rod, one that you simply CANNOT bend
with any amount of force at all, and have a machine shop bend it to follow the contour of the lower more
than my current one does.  If you used aluminum for the bar, it is going to have more play in it than if you
used steel like mine, but it should work fine.  The only time you will find any issues come up is when you try
to reload and support the weight of the pistol grip in one hand while slamming a magazine into the magwell.
It might bend a little bit, but using steel alleviated that problem for me.

Also, I would probably try to make some sort of "ramp" so that your middle finger does not get pinched as it
bounces back and forward off of the lower.  It's manageable, but gets annoying.  Again, this may be a non-issue
for you, but watch out.  Worse case scenario, just hold the pistol grip a little bit lower.

Now just get some videos of it working!
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]
So that is what those ugly stocks are for.

That has some potential.
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
what i ment was the guy was boomhauer personified... he couldnt have tried to be anymore like him if he tried.. and he truly didnt know anything about hank hill or his buddies....from the haircut and the attitude and the muttering speech he WAS boomhauer..
Link Posted: 8/27/2012 10:38:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You've got the idea.  It doesn't have to look exactly like mine at all as long as it works.
I think if I end up making another one I am going to get a much stronger rod, one that you simply CANNOT bend
with any amount of force at all, and have a machine shop bend it to follow the contour of the lower more
than my current one does.  If you used aluminum for the bar, it is going to have more play in it than if you
used steel like mine, but it should work fine.  The only time you will find any issues come up is when you try
to reload and support the weight of the pistol grip in one hand while slamming a magazine into the magwell.
It might bend a little bit, but using steel alleviated that problem for me.

Also, I would probably try to make some sort of "ramp" so that your middle finger does not get pinched as it
bounces back and forward off of the lower.  It's manageable, but gets annoying.  Again, this may be a non-issue
for you, but watch out.  Worse case scenario, just hold the pistol grip a little bit lower.

Now just get some videos of it working!

The rod is steel.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 9:05:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Using something like this was my initial thought. I decided to put a little more work into it and make it less fugly.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:10:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Just an idea is that you can countersink the steel bar and use this and they would not even stick out

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Oxide-Alloy-Socket-Length/dp/B005DSADUG/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1346202571&sr=1-4&keywords=black+hex+flat+head+screw

Not necessarily this size but the same concept.

Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:13:42 PM EDT
[#16]
How did you get the metal bent so straight?
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I just used a vice.  Gotta wrap the bar with tape or something otherwise the wise buggers it up.
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#18]
OST: nice job OP and other dudes...i failed at my attempt a few months ago!
Link Posted: 8/28/2012 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 9:02:49 AM EDT
[#20]
brodband8, did you remove much material from the grip in order to attach the bar?

I am planning to use a MIAD and from what I can see it looks like the bar should be attached to the main part of the grip and the back strap should be recessed in order to fit over the bar. I am planning to take some of that material out with a dremel.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#21]
The only material I removed was material from the center of the backstrap so that the bolt heads would clear.  The other part
that you have to mess with is the upper portion of the backstrap where it curves around the lower. I took quite a bit out of that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#22]
That was a quick hundred!   Nice job!
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I think it was closer to 80 or so, because now that I think of it I had shot a few rounds prior to this in my rifle...  I could be wrong though...
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish I would have seen this thread before I blew all that cash on a slidefire......Now I just need to figure out how to make one for an AK!
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#25]
We made one using the same design for an AK.  The AK had a tapco plastic buffer tube on it though...
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 9:31:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only material I removed was material from the center of the backstrap so that the bolt heads would clear.  The other part
that you have to mess with is the upper portion of the backstrap where it curves around the lower. I took quite a bit out of that.

Ok this sounds easy enough.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#27]

Looks aside, I bet this would be even better than the OP's version (which is awesome BTW), Slidefires, and maybe even Fostech's stock. Sure it's ugly, but if the thumb-hole has a function, it's not ugly anymore (see SVD).

Why might it be better? Well I found that the grip flexed quite a bit from the prone/bipods, and was often the reason I failed to get a good burst off. A lot of people are bashing this whole concept. yet fail to see that they are employing it improperly. I think a lot of people are looking at the bump-stock though modern carbine-class eyes. Nothing wrong at all with the training out there, but anyone who has humped the SAW knows that it is something s bit different than "just a rifle." Besides... a SAW is inaccurate from the standing too.....

Anyways, using that concept, I was able to get a ~20" cone of fire from 200m with my bump AR and bipods. Something like this is interesting to me.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 11:22:20 AM EDT
[#28]
I've never even tried my stock from the prone position.  Mainly because my bipod is the GG&G one and has no flexability in it.
I might be able to get it to bump fire if I loosened the legs up just a little bit.  I will give it a try next time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've never even tried my stock from the prone position.  Mainly because my bipod is the GG&G one and has no flexability in it.
I might be able to get it to bump fire if I loosened the legs up just a little bit.  I will give it a try next time.

Give it a shot and report back!

When you get video, post it in my practical prone bumpfire thread.

Link Posted: 8/31/2012 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#30]
One thing I thought of today for you DIYers. I am going to cut up my SF stock to make this. Maybe some of you could incorporate it into your home-builds?

Link Posted: 9/1/2012 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had to picture what you where talking about but I figured it out. That doesn't sound like too bad of an idea.

Here is what I am thinking, just to make sure we are on the same page. With as good of cad work as I did, hopefully Magpul doesn't go after me for infringement lol.

Normal, stock locked in place operation:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ExGN0HdljLA/T6Oh1erqiuI/AAAAAAAADew/-wD9qKYJXxQ/s680/normal.jpg

Bumpfire operation:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-L0Iy2Oo8zkM/T6Oh1LEAQWI/AAAAAAAADeo/eQ7oQQd8qQA/s680/bumpfire.jpg

on a traditonal m4 stock all you need is a rubber band to hold down the extend lever
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
One thing I thought of today for you DIYers. I am going to cut up my SF stock to make this. Maybe some of you could incorporate it into your home-builds?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i172/schkoot/Faux-chine%20gun/BumpMOD.jpg

Bump with a hokey MS-paint idea. I HAZ NO COMPUTER ART SKILLZ

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Hi Guy's,
I wish I could of built mine, but with my back, I would never get it done!! So I bought one and I most likely would not of bought it, but for 35 years I have wanted to own a machine gun but Kansas wasn't a Class state we are now, if they would of been I would of owned at least 1 or more, Back then you could get a legal full auto Mac 10 for $750.00 or so, of course there is the $200.00 tax stamp. If you want one now a cheapey will cost you $4000.00. So I bought my stock in hopes it would shoot 22LR conversion but no!
Does anyone have a slide fire that will shoot the 22LR's?? If so, please get a  hold of me!!
Greg
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hi Guy's,
I wish I could of built mine, but with my back, I would never get it done!! So I bought one and I most likely would not of bought it, but for 35 years I have wanted to own a machine gun but Kansas wasn't a Class state we are now, if they would of been I would of owned at least 1 or more, Back then you could get a legal full auto Mac 10 for $750.00 or so, of course there is the $200.00 tax stamp. If you want one now a cheapey will cost you $4000.00. So I bought my stock in hopes it would shoot 22LR conversion but no!
Does anyone have a slide fire that will shoot the 22LR's?? If so, please get a  hold of me!!
Greg

Someone posted this video in my GD thread: shameless plug Looks like an M&P 15-22 is the way to go.

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Hi All,
If the video was intended for me that is okay, but it doesn't help me! I am going to try and put a M4 upper together tomorrow and take the break off and put on a comp. and maybe that will help?
I am using a complete AR 15 with a Spikes Tactical 22LR conversion.
I still thanks all of you guys.
Greg
Link Posted: 9/2/2012 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Hi All,
If the video was intended for me that is okay, but it doesn't help me! I am going to try and put a M4 upper together tomorrow and take the break off and put on a comp. and maybe that will help?
Greg

Check this video out. From what I have read and seen online, you will need a lighter trigger in order to use a .22 kit in a standard AR with a Slide Fire.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 4:48:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi All,
Greg

Check this video out. From what I have read and seen online, you will need a lighter trigger in order to use a .22 kit in a standard AR with a Slide Fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESWN_nxsl08

You will def. need a lighter trigger.  Usually a conventional .22 upper is just too heavy and the .22 doesn't provide enough recoil.  The S&W is the best route as it's much lighter to begin with.  Get it as light as you can.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Hi All,
I have a few question to  ask, but before I ask these question's, I wanted to let everyone know what a great thread  it is I think that there are 100's of people like me that don't ever want to go to jail  Kansas just became a class 3 stae a few years back , Back when I wanted a real registered Sub Gun that I could of bought for under a $1000.00, and now for the same sub gun you would be lucky to find one just like the $1000.00 one you would pay $4000.00 for.
Now my question, the last video that was for me and others like me that can only afford shooting the 22LR's. What is a( Iveyshooting Buffer Space )????

Does a person want the lightest  upper that you can get???????? Mine works perfect shooting the 223 which is  a  A1 - 16" heavy barrel, I have polished every part that needs to be the best it can be.  I took 50% out of the trigger spring, and I have never bought a CMMG LPK before and  that will be what I use from now on! Right out of the box the trigger and hammer had a 99% fit I will be looking for a place to buy them at a price that I have been buying my other LPK's
Sorry I got of course!!! I have all the parts to go out to my shop and put a M4––A3 together and can put a YHM free float  hand gaurd, or rhe stock setup???
I would be great full to find out what can help and what can't!

Later
Greg
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#39]
So I was monkeying around with an old ban-era stock off of a Bushmaster and realizied it's perfect to suit my needs for the "VAG: verticle aft grip" in the MS Paint above.

I am heading to the hardware store today to pick up some bar/tube stock, and maybe to a gun store for a MIAD.

Just like the thumbhole stock, this may have unforeseen value.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 7:06:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Weill... It looks like a bag of smashed assholes but it works...sorta. The ban-era tube is too thick and the grip moves around way too much compared to the slidefire. For those of you who don't understand what I am trying to do here, I want a VFG that allows the shooter to ad forward pressure while firing prone from bipods. I had some extra old crud lying around and figured I'd try and make a floating VAG (vertical aft grip...).

The VAG concept does in fact work, it's just not going to work 100% right on this prototype. I am looking at my Slidefire and still thinking about cutting it up, but I think I'll give this one a bit more love before I do something hasty.

Better pic:

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#41]
I had something interesting happen while I was in KY last weekend.

I got two surefire 60 rounders given to me, so I figured I would give them a go with the bump stock.

All 120 rounds fired flawlessly.  Inserted the CMAG, and gave it to a buddy to shoot.

He bump fired about 95 or so rounds, and thought it was out, so he handed it to me.  Knowing the
CMAG doesn't lock back on the last round, I pulled the charging handle back slowly to see if there was
a round still in the chamber, and about 1 inch out of battery, the round cooked off and blew up in my face.

I inspected everything was good and there was no case stuck in the chamber.  Thought about finishing off
some other 30 rounders I had, but decided the gun was too hot.  Broke it down, and inspected the bore,
there was a bullet stuck in the chamber from when it cooked off.  Glad I thought to check it before I decided
to shoot it again.

I got back to the place at which I was staying, and popped the bullet out with a cleaning rod.  The lead melted
out of the copper jacket leaving a hollow copper shell.

Here are some pics.

Link Posted: 9/9/2012 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#42]
btw, Skillet, that stock looks BADASS.  Kind of reminds me of a heavy machine gun  I like it.  Where did you get that Bipod from?  That bipod fits with that buttstock completely.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:52:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
btw, Skillet, that stock looks BADASS.  Kind of reminds me of a heavy machine gun  I like it.  Where did you get that Bipod from?  That bipod fits with that buttstock completely.

I welded up some flat-stock to some cheapo bipods...  

They wiggled back and forth enough that I figured they would prone-bump better than "quality" bipods...

Not sure if you watched my videos, but they are posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:47:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had something interesting happen while I was in KY last weekend.

I got two surefire 60 rounders given to me, so I figured I would give them a go with the bump stock.

All 120 rounds fired flawlessly.  Inserted the CMAG, and gave it to a buddy to shoot.

He bump fired about 95 or so rounds, and thought it was out, so he handed it to me.  Knowing the
CMAG doesn't lock back on the last round, I pulled the charging handle back slowly to see if there was
a round still in the chamber, and about 1 inch out of battery, the round cooked off and blew up in my face.

I inspected everything was good and there was no case stuck in the chamber.  Thought about finishing off
some other 30 rounders I had, but decided the gun was too hot.  Broke it down, and inspected the bore,
there was a bullet stuck in the chamber from when it cooked off.  Glad I thought to check it before I decided
to shoot it again.

I got back to the place at which I was staying, and popped the bullet out with a cleaning rod.  The lead melted
out of the copper jacket leaving a hollow copper shell.

Here are some pics.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/IMG_1132.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/IMG_1130.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h80/BrOdBaNd_2006/IMG_1131.jpg

Interesting. Glad you are ok.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:01:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Can anyone say "patent infringement" .  

I am not an attorney and I believe that you are legal to build a device that is patented for your own use.  However if you ever offer one for sale, you can be sued for infringing on their patent.

As a second point, how much time have you spent building the stock?  Is your time worth anything?  You can quickly spend more building than just buying one used on gunbroker

As a final point everyone busted on Slidefire for building an "ugly" stock when their product first came out.  Theirs has nothing on ugly compared to yours.....lol

No part of the original post did it state he wanted to start manufacturing and selling He just decided to build a bump stock him self - Kudos to him.

Nice job OP!

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 3:32:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone say "patent infringement" .  

I am not an attorney and I believe that you are legal to build a device that is patented for your own use.  However if you ever offer one for sale, you can be sued for infringing on their patent.

As a second point, how much time have you spent building the stock?  Is your time worth anything?  You can quickly spend more building than just buying one used on gunbroker

As a final point everyone busted on Slidefire for building an "ugly" stock when their product first came out.  Theirs has nothing on ugly compared to yours.....lol

No part of the original post did it state he wanted to start manufacturing and selling He just decided to build a bump stock him self - Kudos to him.

Nice job OP!

Thanks.

Also, I may have spent more time building this than buying a used one, but I guarantee you I spent more time drinking beer, and had plenty of beer money left over.

Link Posted: 9/10/2012 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm a noob to AR building so forgive me for asking a stupid question. What retains the selector detent and spring on a "bump fire" stock?
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 5:14:47 PM EDT
[#48]
I tapped and threaded the lower so a set screw holds the spring and detent in place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#49]
gotcha...
Link Posted: 9/11/2012 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Link to a thread where a Wisconsin man got his AR15 w/Slidefire stock confiscated by police and was threatened to be arrested. He showed the officer SlideFire's ATF letter and the police claimed that it was fake. The thread was updated today... The guy contacted SlideFire, SlideFire contacted the ATF, and the police department in question. The police department has since said he can come pick up his rifle.

I figured that it is a good heads up to what could be experienced with this type of setup... I was going to make my own, but after hearing how SlideFire came to this guy's defense (and are paying his legal fees BTW) I am probably going to buy from them.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top