Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/11/2012 9:56:22 AM EDT
How in the hell do I get my flash hider to line up correctly?  Im pretty sure the A2 style hider slots point towards your feet because it wouldnt make sense to have your flash directed upwards.  Anyway, how in the world do I get it to line up properly?  Ive tried about 50 times to get it to work but it never lines up how I want it to.  I tried with and without the crush washer.  Im also not sure of the purpose of the crush washer to be honest.  Any help would be great because its frustrating as all hell.  thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#1]
OK uhm how do I say this..... They point up.  The a1 flash hiders had slots all around. One of the improvments on the a2 was doing away with the slots on the bottom to keep the blast from kicking up when shooting laying down.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:05:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you "crushing" your crush washer?
Are you using a peel washer?

To time the flash hider you simply continue rotating the flash hider until it is properly aligned. Doing so will "crush" the crush washer.

The bottom of the flash hider has the base and no slots. All slots should point upwards and left/right.

The muzzle blast hits the bottom of the A2 flash hider and keeps muzzle rise down, while keeping dust/debris from clouding the air.

ETA See pic below of properly timed A2 FH

Link Posted: 7/11/2012 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
It is best to clamp your barrel in a vice when timing a muzzle device using a crush washer. DIY Barrel Vice Clamp. I have done this and it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Im using a crush washer but I dont know what you mean by crushing the washer?  All im trying to do is line the damn thing up but I can never get it to be even.  Im clearly missing something?  Ive tried to start the hider in about 50 differant places but no matter what i do it is not centered.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im using a crush washer but I dont know what you mean by crushing the washer?  All im trying to do is line the damn thing up but I can never get it to be even.  Im clearly missing something?  Ive tried to start the hider in about 50 differant places but no matter what i do it is not centered.

With the barrel properly and firmly held in place, in a vice, you will use a wrench to tighten the muzzle device onto the
end of the barrel, against the 'crush washer' in such a manner that the crush washer will be 'compressed/crushed' from the torque
involved (force of you wrenching it tight) in order to get the muzzle device on tight enough, and timed properly.

The proper 'timing' of an A2 style muzzle device is with the center (number 3) cut at the 12 O' Clock, or straight up position.

ETA: I HIGHLY recommend watching the Brownell's AR15 Assembly videos before attempting this at your experience level.
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the barrel properly and firmly held in place, in a vice, you will use a wrench to tighten the muzzle device onto the
end of the barrel, against the 'crush washer' in such a manner that the crush washer will be 'compressed/crushed' from the torque
involved (force of you wrenching it tight) in order to get the muzzle device on tight enough, and timed properly.

The proper 'timing' of an A2 style muzzle device is with the center (number 3) cut at the 12 O' Clock, or straight up position.

ETA: I HIGHLY recommend watching the Brownell's AR15 Assembly videos before attempting this at your experience level.

here is the video referenced above: Muzzle Device install video
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the "how to video" link. Now a new question.
What is the correct timing on a 3 prong flash hider. (M16 style but without the flaired prongs.)
Thanks
Motor1
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 3:44:19 PM EDT
[#8]
They have video's that cover assembly of the entire gun.
Brownells assembly video's

I am not sure about timing a 3-prong flash hider. Hopefully soemone that uses one of those will chime in.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 12:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Place the crush washer on the barrel, conical side facing out. Hand tighten the flash hider against the crush washer. You now should have a full 360 degrees to use a wrench and tighten it down to the proper timing. Whether it takes 5 degrees or 160 degrees it's all good.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Place the crush washer on the barrel, conical side facing out. Hand tighten the flash hider against the crush washer. You now should have a full 360 degrees to use a wrench and tighten it down to the proper timing. Whether it takes 5 degrees or 160 degrees it's all good.

conical or pointy side is supposed to go towards the gun.

how to install a muzzle device
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm... I've always done it the other way and that's the way I've seen it done. Just checked the Brownells video and it shows the opposite way of YHM. Guess it works either way.
Link Posted: 7/13/2012 4:31:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmmm... I've always done it the other way and that's the way I've seen it done. Just checked the Brownells video and it shows the opposite way of YHM. Guess it works either way.

A crush washer can also be referred to as a "tension washer".
The small contact area goes toward the receiver and the large contact area goes toward the muzzle device.
The purpose of an AR 15 crush washer is to collapse to allow proper indexing of the muzzle device and to keep tension on the MD similar to a lock washer so that the MD does not loosen.

You must carefully approach your desired index point and stop.
Backing up because you overran your index point is not acceptable.

A new AR 15 crush washer should be "crushed" from finger-tight for at least 90° and not more than 460°

Installed crush washer...

Basic "How To"..........(better to use barrel blocks for muzzle device work)
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11441/learn/
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top