Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/14/2013 5:38:18 AM EDT
I must say I'm torn between these two and need a little assistance in making the right decision.  I've seen more versions of rail systems than I care to count and have narrowed down to these 2.  A quad just seems like overkill as I have no aspirations of needing most add ons. The only thing I have and plan on attaching ( other than sights and an optic of course) is an AFG2.  That being said brings up a concern that I'm hoping to get an answer on.

Both obviously have the picatinny on the top.  I like that neither has them on the sides.  No matter what pics i find of the Troy, it doesn't appear to have a bottom rail. Is that correct?  I'm hoping that the AFG2 will be able to attach. If not, then I think that would answer the Fortis vs Troy decision.  If it can attach, then I'm back to where I am now.

If you all wouldn't mind, let me know your experiences with both. Functionality.. Weight.. Comfort... Etc.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The Troy Alpha has individual rail sections you attach at the locations you prefer. They both weigh about an ounce from one another, with the rev being the lighter of the two. You can't go wrong with either. I like the look of the rev better, but I prefer the VTAC modularity. Hope this helps your decision a bit, the way i see it its a win/win situation.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Huge fan of the alpha rails. I find the tubular foreends more comfortable than holding a quad rail.

As far as mouting things, I can get a light/bipod/handstop/whatever closed to the "body" of the rail with the alphas than I can with a quadrail.

Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:14:32 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Alpha rail. Rail sections can be added anywhere. Here is where I mounted my AFG

Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You'll have to add a rail to the Troy to use the afg.  The fortis, you wont... which means, less parts and less weight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:39:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the modularity of the Alpha Rail. I also like being abel to just direct mount stuff to it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You'll have to add a rail to the Troy to use the afg.  The fortis, you wont... which means, less parts and less weight.

If you dont mind modifying your AFG, you can mount directly to the tube which is way comfier.

Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:52:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you dont mind modifying your AFG, you can mount directly to the tube which is way comfier.    

That's true.. and very cool.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Fortes is one bad ass rail, light and strong.I just finished a build using the 12.8 on a Noveske infidel barrel  nice part is this rail will take the Noveske hand guard panels.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 11:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
+1 for the Alpha Rail

It is the beez kneez

Link Posted: 6/14/2013 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a huge craving for the Fortis Rev Rail.  Current build will have to get one installed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 5:44:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm replying from my phone so ill have to add a pic later. But I love my fortis rev 14" which is more like 14.75"...great looks, lightweight, great feel for my big hands.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Does the Alpha use standard barrel nut also??  I love the look of the fortis but truth is those tubes are the shit in comfort and handling.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:44:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the fortis: 1) it feels retarded. Why wouldnt they just do the same bottom section as the sides. 2) keymod is overrated.

Should've got another keymod rail, none are as light though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't handled the Fortis but have a Troy TRX. I like the tubular profile of the Troy and the ability to only put a rail where I want it. The bottom rail on the Fortis doesn't make sense to me, if I'm wanting to eliminate any rails the bottom is going to be one of the first to go.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:19:39 PM EDT
[#15]
The tube is what I really do like about the Alpha rail.. I don't have small hands by any means but also not catcher's mitts either.  It'll be covering a 14.5 Middy.

One of the reasons I'm drawn to both is the fact that they both use the standard AR barrel nut.

So going on the 14.5 mid..  do you think that either the 11" Troy or 12'" Fortis will be long enough to cover the gas tube?

BTW.. All that posted pics, nice job!  Beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:25:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have the fortis: 1) it feels retarded. Why wouldnt they just do the same bottom section as the sides. 2) keymod is overrated.

Should've got another keymod rail, none are as light though.

Retarded eh?  That doesn't sound too good!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I vote fortis ..

12 inch fortis on a 14.5 pinned middy

Link Posted: 6/14/2013 7:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So going on the 14.5 mid..  do you think that either the 11" Troy or 12'" Fortis will be long enough to cover the gas tube?

Yes, the 11" Troy will cover the gas block - if you're using a cut down FSB it will be just flush with the front of the gas block.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#19]
My vote Fortis

But I don't own a troy rail, but do own a VTAC 9" rail, and Fortis 12" rail
Fortis--Pros--Lighter, qd sockets, std barrel nut and wrench  
        --Cons-- Needs NSR panels
Troy--Pros--???
      --Cons-- Heavier, require rail sections for accessories,  qd/sling mounts, and have heard they are like cheese graters.

Or there is always the CMR

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 2:26:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Great job. Clean and sleek.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 6:45:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes I have an 11 Troy and it does cover the gas block on my 14.5'' middy. Works and looks great
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 7:02:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great job. Clean and sleek.

Wasn't me. My sticks are up top with the handstops.

I just dug this picture up to show it can be done. I personally dig the TRX Because I mount shit directly to it. No need for rail sections for alot of things.

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 7:42:34 AM EDT
[#24]

Here is mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 10:43:30 AM EDT
[#25]
The Troys are nice, but I just don't like the way they look or feel.  I love my Fortis.  It's super light, looks good, and feels pretty good.  It's a little tall, but I'm a fan of the integrated bottom rail.  It's pretty wide open without NSR panels on it, though, so your gas block needs to look kinda nice, hah.

12" Fortis will cover a mid-length gas system.
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 4:46:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Well today I happened to get my hands on both. A friend has multiple ARs and unbeknownst to me, also had both the Troy and the Fortis.   I have to say that the overall feel of the Fortis, just doesn't even come close to the Troy. Personal opinion of course. But my hand literally felt one withy hat rail. The Fortis, although extremely BADASS looking and highly functional... Just felt kinda.. Well.. Retarded as someone else mentioned about theirs.  I just couldn't get totally comfortable holding onto the Fortis.

I also think I'm going to go a little longer with the Troy 13 incher.

VTAC or bubbles version of the Alpha rail?
Link Posted: 6/15/2013 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Cant go wrong with either. I think they both look good. Technically the TRX-e is lighter than the vtac, but its whatever. If you use QD sling swivels, the TRX wins, imo.

Link Posted: 6/27/2013 10:41:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Well I went with the 13" alpha in FDE.  what a nice piece of equipment.  Now I can finish my 1st build..  

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top