Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/22/2014 2:36:44 AM EDT
I need an extended gas block to cover the non parkerized section on my LMT barrel. Does anyone make a low profile gas block to fit under my LaRue rails that affix to the barrel using the existing taper pin slots?

If not, what's a good extended low pro block and clamp on or set screws? The armorer at my office prefers the clamp ons because they're easier to install, but I've heard conflicting stories on if they're secure enough.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You cannot get a gas block to utilize the tapered holes.

They are drilled and reamed at time of install of the gas block, through both the gas block and the barrel.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:23:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have an A sight you can always do this to it:

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

And this is the best gas block for the buck!
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Truth

Or you could get a LaRue lpgb which has an extension that will cover the non-parkerized area where your front sight post was.
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to suggest a cutdown FSB, but was beat to it.

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 2:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You cannot get a gas block to utilize the tapered holes.

They are drilled and reamed at time of install of the gas block, through both the gas block and the barrel.
View Quote

This, you will either have to cut down the exisiting A-frame sight/block into a low-pro config (you'll still have to un-pin and remove it if you're also swapping the barrel nut), or go with a set screw of clamp on type block as a replacement.

For a replacement that covers the non-parked area, I like the MI offering:  http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=253

Link Posted: 11/22/2014 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. I actually already had the existing FSB cut down, then it cracked either during the removal or reinstall so I decided to source a low profile block.

My armorer suggested this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/397605/doublestar-race-gun-low-profile-extended-gas-block-ar-15-lr-308-standard-barrel-750-inside-diameter-steel-matte

I'll probably just get the LaRue since I know it will definitely fit under their rails. After reading reviews on several, some rails apparently don't fit over all low profile blocks and I don't want the hassle/worry.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#8]
UrbanOps:  FWIW, clamp on gas blocks are very secure.  I've used them on all of my builds.  They don't always fit under the smallest handguards without some metal removal, but otherwise they are highly recommended.  I like the ability to pry them slightly open with a screwdriver tip, when installing or removing from the barrel's journal. - CW
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top