Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2015 11:49:05 AM EDT
Anyone have any experience with this BCG?  Anything stand out on it that should be concerning?

http://www.tomstactical.com/Toms%20Tactical/Black-Nitride-M16-AR-15-Bolt-Carrier-Group-BCG?page=2
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
never heard of them, but someone else might have.
but if I were doing that in that price range I would go
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3BDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+Nitride+9310+MPI+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

or wait till these come back.
I have 2 of these.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGV2&name=AIM+v2+BLACK+NITRIDE+.223%2f5.56+AR%2fM16+C158+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Why not simply get a known mil-spec BCG from a current, vetted US military manufacture/supplier?

CLICK
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I am new to building and I've done business with this company in the past with very good success. I also like that they do PayPal so I don't have to give my direct information to.  What I was more concerned with is the usual 9310 vs 158 and nitride vs NiB.  I appreciate the extra links for potential future builds or additional parts.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 6:35:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Plus 1 for the ToolCraft above, I think that is the best deal on a quality BCG out there.  Them and the Premium PSA BCGs are the best bang for the buck.  And everyone seems to really like AIMs BCGs as well.  Some people like the 9310 bolts better, and others like myself like to stay milspec with the C-158.  My reason being is I figure the ones made with C-158 have been proven for the last 50 years, and if the company spends the extra time to source the C-158 steel then they are probably building the bolt to milspec.  You see 9310 bolts on a lot of the cheaper ones, but that doesn't mean they are bad - it is just easier to source.  The one thing I have heard is that 9310 is very similar in strength to C-158 but it has to be heat treated correctly, and if not done right then it will fail earlier.  I don't think C158 is as picky, but I am not an expert on the matter.  Either way I tend to stick with C-158 bolts, but if I had a good deal on a 9310 bolt I would probably take it if it was from a well known company.  

As far as Nitrited/Melonited carriers, I don't have any myself but think they are one of the extras that may be worth it.  Since it is not a coating it can not flake off like NIB, and it makes the surface harder.  I would love to hear of people comparing them to standard bolts and see if they actually lasted any longer, but there aren't many people out there shooting 20-40K rounds to compare different BCGs.  If I had to guess I would say they don't hold lube quite as well as the regular phosphate coated carriers since they would be slicker, but will probably run drier then a regular carrier would and clean up much easier.  The NIB coating is something I was very interested in until I read 100s of reviews on the different ones.  I tend to steer away from them anymore because of the few negative reviews I have heard of them flaking after many rounds of hard use. It seems like this is a small percentage of the BCGs and certainty not all of them.  But there are bad ones out there, and it seems to just be luck of the draw with some manufacturers doing a better job then others.  I just don't want to risk anything flaking like that so I will stick with the standard Phosphate carrier, or a Melonited or Chrome one if I want a coating.  Chrome is another great choice, and is my favorite if I had to choose one out of all.  It has many of the same benefits as NIB but it doesn't flake from hard use.  I just wish more people made regular M16 carriers in chrome.  

If you want a good reliable BCG on the cheap then get the PSA Premium, ToolCraft, or possibly the AIM Melonited one.  If you want one that is probably gonna last the exact same but have a better name brand on it then look in the EE here and find a good used like new Colt or FN BCG for $120-130 - they tend to pop up quite often.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why not simply get a known mil-spec BCG from a current, vetted US military manufacture/supplier?
CLICK
View Quote

I'm with this guy.  I have two of them, and a third on the way.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
What I was more concerned with is the usual 9310 vs 158 and nitride vs NiB.
View Quote

If you want slick, go with NiB.  From what I can tell, black nitride on the bcg is not much slicker than normal mag phosphate.

I believe this is more for people who are concerned with corrosion resistance or want their bcg to match other nitrided parts on their rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
CLICK

x3 especially considering they are not really that expensive either.
Link Posted: 12/28/2015 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you want slick, go with NiB.  From what I can tell, black nitride on the bcg is not much slicker than normal mag phosphate.

I believe this is more for people who are concerned with corrosion resistance or want their bcg to match other nitrided parts on their rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
What I was more concerned with is the usual 9310 vs 158 and nitride vs NiB.

How "slick" they are is based more of the surface prep than the finish. If you Melonite a bolt carrier that has a matte finish on the rails it's not going to be very "slick". On the other hand, if you Melonite a carrier that has a mirror finish on the rails it will be very slick. Case in point...J.P. Enterprises carriers look like a black mirror.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top