Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2016 12:23:54 PM EDT
I read about people trying to get the timing right when assembling a barrel or flash bidder.  I'm not sure what this means. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

I'm working on collecting parts for my first 5.56 build.  Previous build was a 9mm blow back system.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I read about people trying to get the timing right when assembling a barrel or flash bidder.  I'm not sure what this means. Can someone shed some light on this for me.

I'm working on collecting parts for my first 5.56 build.  Previous build was a 9mm blow back system.  Thanks guys.
View Quote

Most timing is going to be for barrel nuts or muzzle devices. Timing a barrel nut allows a gas tube to travel over or through the barrel nut and into the upper receiver. Muzzle devices may need to be timed for their flash hiding or recoil reducing capabilities to be optimal. Barrel nuts have a wide acceptable torque range. Typically hit a minimum value and then set at the next "hole".

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Basically getting things so they are lined up like stated above.

Some barrel nuts you have to align for the gas tube.  Others like my last one didn't entertain the gas tube at all but you have to line up slots to get the handguard on.  And like your standard A2 flash hider you want the solid part on the bottom and the flats vertical... it must be "timed" that way.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so timing has more to do with how the nuts are turned to allign everything where it should be.  "Timing" does not have to do with "time" as in seconds or milliseconds to make something works right.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, so timing has more to do with how the nuts are turned to allign everything where it should be.  "Timing" does not have to do with "time" as in seconds or milliseconds to make something works right.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote

Correct. It basically boils down to having proper barrel nut torque and the barrel nut being aligned to allow passage of the gas tube into the receiver.

If you want to make it easy on yourself you can use an aftermarket handguard that does not require timing. You torque it per the manufacturer's spec and your done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Same concept with the flash suppressor or other muzzle device.  It needs to be aligned properly when tight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the replies.  This seems much more easy than I thought.   I was stressing thinking I was going to have to trial error different setting.

So torque to lightest torque setting and then increase until it's alligned correctly.   And don't exceed the max torque.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:58:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the replies.  This seems much more easy than I thought.   I was stressing thinking I was going to have to trial error different setting.

So torque to lightest torque setting and then increase until it's alligned correctly.   And don't exceed the max torque.
View Quote

Correct.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top