Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/6/2011 5:52:07 AM EDT
I am looking to get a nice chest rig to carry mags for my AK, would prefer one that holds more then 6 mags.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 5:59:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking to get a nice chest rig to carry mags for my AK, would prefer one that holds more then 6 mags.

You want more than 180 rounds on rig - 210 counting rounds in rifle?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:04:31 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds heavy
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
If your rifle is 7.62 caliber you don't need a chest rig, you need a pack mule (unless you're in training to be one).
I suggest you load up as many magazines as you intend to carry in the rig hold them in your hands and then weigh them before you buy anything.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Blackhawk Commando harness

Can be used with AR type magazines as well. Pouch will fit 3 AR mags and two AK47 mags.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:44:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Blackhawk Commando harness

Can be used with AR type magazines as well. Pouch will fit 3 AR mags and two AK47 mags.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Look into taco pouches and a molle chest rig.  You can stack the mags.  Eagle also makes chest rigs.  Hit he SKD button up top you'll find a lot of great quality options.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#7]
More than 6 mags? 7.62, 5.45, or 5.56? Steel or Polymer? That weight can add up more than you'd believe. If your intent is a loadout for Home Defense, Classes, Range Banging, or even the proverbial "SHTF"...4 mags might be enough. More than 6 sounds like you're prepping for war. Are you a PMC (honest question)? For range/training, I rock it old school with the Chinese Type 81 4-cell rig...CHEAP, durable, and practical. Someday, I might change the game with something modern and MOLLE. Your best bet, if you want to accomodate more than 6 mags, would be to get a plain MOLLE rig (Eagle, Tactical Tailor MAV, etc) and attach your own pouches. Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/7/2011 3:58:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
More than 6 mags? 7.62, 5.45, or 5.56? Steel or Polymer? That weight can add up more than you'd believe. If your intent is a loadout for Home Defense, Classes, Range Banging, or even the proverbial "SHTF"...4 mags might be enough. More than 6 sounds like you're prepping for war. Are you a PMC (honest question)? For range/training, I rock it old school with the Chinese Type 81 4-cell rig...CHEAP, durable, and practical. Someday, I might change the game with something modern and MOLLE. Your best bet, if you want to accomodate more than 6 mags, would be to get a plain MOLLE rig (Eagle, Tactical Tailor MAV, etc) and attach your own pouches. Good luck.

7.62 mags, I've humped much heavier loads then what I would with 6+ mags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:06:27 AM EDT
[#9]
More power to you then, brother. Slay some dragons! For more than 6 mags, you might be better off making your own custom rig. Good luck to you. Hope you end up with what you're looking for.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:31:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
More power to you then, brother. Slay some dragons! For more than 6 mags, you might be better off making your own custom rig. Good luck to you. Hope you end up with what you're looking for.

I may not even go with 6+ mags, may do 4 with a pouch for a 75 rd drum.  This is just in the initial planning stages.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#11]
While you are 'planning' you may want to just tape ONE mag to your shirt and go prone hard!  If you do it with out the protection of a bullet resistant vest you may change you mind about ANY type of vest.  While you are on the floor, you can add a couple mags to see how much it raises you off the floor and into the line of fire.

As one who has a small divit in my right rear cheek already from it being raised by mag pouches in front of my hip bones I tend to pass on ANY type chest rigs for ANY caliber or gun.  In fact I hate how much buttons raise me.  LOL
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Look into taco pouches and a molle chest rig.  You can stack the mags.  Eagle also makes chest rigs.  Hit he SKD button up top you'll find a lot of great quality options.

I have the Eagle Industries 6-mag version. It's pretty well made and overall I am satisfied. There are a few things that I think could be improved on the design, but overall I think it is worth what I paid for it.

Haven't had an oppurtunity to run it in conjunction with my ak at the range but when I do I will be sure to take some pics and do a write up on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a cheap chicom 3 or 6 cell chest rig and see how you like it before you go nuts spending money on a 6+ rig that you've never used.

Z
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a cheap chicom 3 or 6 cell chest rig and see how you like it before you go nuts spending money on a 6+ rig that you've never used.

Z

Damn Zen. You really are all knowing. Thats probably the best suggestion yet.

ETA-Tactical Buddha has the answers to all your questions!
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Whatever chest rig/harness you decide to use I'd tell ya to get TACO mag pouches from HSGI.  They are making double decker ones now if you really want to carry that much ammo.  I've got a row of the "double decker" pouches that is a single mag pouch and a pistol pouch on top of that.  The pistol pouches can also carry stuff like flashlights and whatnot.  I've used one of the rifle pouches to carry a 5w UHF Radio also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I used the Russian M23 Pioneer Chest Rig as my main setup.  The rig can hold 8 AK-47/74 mags and various other pouches that  hold anything you want.  

m23 by gundamzaku999, on Flickr

chest 2 by gundamzaku999, on Flickr

chest by gundamzaku999, on Flickr

Also I used 3-cells chest rig as well.

3 cell by gundamzaku999, on Flickr

Both wok well enough for me.  But I personally like the M23. At first carrying 8 loaded mags might seem heavy, but after awhile you get used to it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone ever heard of this maker?  
Strike Hard Gear
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Anyone ever heard of this maker?  
Strike Hard Gear

Haven't heard of them, but their rig looks like a great alternative to the overpriced US Palm Attack Rack.  I might just pick up one to try out.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 4:13:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an Arktis SAS vest I was messing with last night, the mag pouches are deep enough to hold 3 EA 30 rd mags but not high enough.  It still could hold 8 mags but I need to figure out a way to make spacers for between the mags to keep them from rattling.  I have some OD green Velcro so I can add a small section to add to the Velcro on the flap so it will anchor shut better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Buff, check out the feedback on the Strike Hard Gear over at the Saiga-12 forum...

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/69497-strikehard-gear-for-aksaiga/page__pid__674147#entry674147
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top