Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2010 6:33:21 PM EDT
http://dpharms.com/images/DPH%20beryl%20with%20rear%20site.JPG

This is the same low rise scope mount that we developed several years ago but we have taken it one step farther by adding a flip up rear peep site. The rear peep site will allow the shooter to have a much longer site base.

To install it, simply remove the rear site leaf and replace it with the mount. The back of the mount is mounted to the rear buttstock screw for a rock solid mount. CND'd from a solid block of aluminum and anodized black.

Manufactured by DPH Arms

http://dpharms.com/dpharmsberylstylescoperailwflipuprearsite-p-1216.html

This was added to their catalog 3 days ago. And they're only $39.99

I just ordered one for $51.33 shipped.

we'll see how it goes on my SGL21 with the Primary Arms M3 clone I have coming as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
that looks interesting. looking at how it attaches at the rear, i'm assuming i'd have to have a standard stock AK and couldn't run it on an under or side folder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

that looks interesting. looking at how it attaches at the rear, i'm assuming i'd have to have a standard stock AK and couldn't run it on an under or side folder.

Like any of the other Beryl-style rails out there, you'll need a tang to anchor the rear of the rail.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#3]
The rear sight looks just like the one on the TWS Dogleg.  I had one of the older ones and it worked fine, but not being able to quickly remove it without tools stopped me from keeping it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
This looks very interesting...especially at 40$. I wish it was easier to disconnect, but isn't  the polish military using this setup with good results?

If I decide to get one of these I will probably get an allen head screw for the rear tang bolt and just keep an allen key handy somehow.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
A true Beryl rail is significantly different (and better) and probably costs more than $40...

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd really like to see a Beryl-style mount for the PSL.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
CNC Warrior makes a better replica of the beryl mount but it costs $154 and doesn't have the rear peep sight.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/catalog/22515_LG.jpg

I'd think if you keep a small screw driver or allen key in the butt stock cleaning kit compartment you'll be alright with the DPH Arms mount.

$40 is a hell of a deal though for a peep sight setup and a bore centered picatinny rail in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright, I decided I'll be your guinea pig for this. I have a strong feeling that is not the correct price and it will be fixed promptly. Their quick disconnect rail is 180$ and doesn't have the peep sight.

The peep is worth 40$ to me...let alone being able to mount an optic anywhere but the gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 4:05:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
CNC Warrior makes a better replica of the beryl mount but it costs $154 and doesn't have the rear peep sight.

http://www.cncwarrior.com/comersus/store/catalog/22515_LG.jpg

I'd think if you keep a small screw driver or allen key in the butt stock cleaning kit compartment you'll be alright with the DPH Arms mount.

$40 is a hell of a deal though for a peep sight setup and a bore centered picatinny rail in my opinion.

The CNC version doesn't have a peep because it is like the Beryl in that it is designed to retain the original AK rear sight which is visible through the center groove with no optic mounted.

Personally I'd prefer to have a rear peep but not at the cost of it being attached with a screw at the rear and not having quick disconnect capability.  To me the Krebs is the best overall design, but at $300 it is considerably more expensive.  For the money I think the original TWS dogleg offers the most features that I want, although I haven't actually tried one.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I've decided to not wait any longer for Nelson's railed cover to go into production, and purchased the DPH rail instead.  I have a Polish UF which obviously lacks a rear attachment point,  so to create one, I'm going to fabricate a simple L-shaped mounting bracket and attach it to the back of the receiver.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I decided not to wait either... I will try this rail and see what happens. My SHTF gun is my AR so the lack of quick disconnect isn't that big of an issue.

I contacted Scott from DPH on another forum and he told me if I wasn't satisfied with the strength or function of the rail I could send it back for a full refund. Only thing I hate about the design is I will have to disconnect it everytime I shoot because of the corrosive ammo...maybe some silver bear will be purchased soon.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are running a VLTOR ar stock adapter I just discovered a very easy way to make this rail disconnect without tools. The old RRA scope mount I had laying around has thumb screws which happen to be the correct thread for rear tang screw.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:58:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The rear sight looks just like the one on the TWS Dogleg.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I guess I should be deeply flattered. However, what I see in the photo above goes beyond the flattery of deriving inspiration from another’s ideas to create your own and crosses a line that honorable men wouldn’t cross.

From the exactness of copy of the peep sight above to the TWS product I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the peep sight shown came right out of my shop and was photographed before they had a chance to get their own copy made. This is something I would have expected from the Chicoms and not another American company which I formerly recommended and thought of as a good source for AK parts.

Another bit of wisdom we all know is that you get what you pay for and if it seems too good to be true it probably isn’t. My best guess from what I see is they made a mountain of these things, maybe even in China, to get the price down. Low cost is always good and volume lowers cost. Only afterwards, someone discovered the product doesn’t work properly and it now needs to be off-loaded, hence the super cheap price.

You might be wondering how I arrived at all that from one little picture. Well, I’ll tell ya. Keep in mind we will use the 7.62 as reference in this discussion as the problems will be exacerbated for the 5.45 which had it’s own issues and required a caliber specific peep sight design. As many of you that have followed the Dog Leg thread from the beginning will remember, getting the rear peep sight to work just right took several tries. The big problem was getting the aperture in just the right place to zero with the front sight at 100M. The early model peep sights were just a TINY bit too tall and that caused the big problem of the front sight post having to be unscrewed up to the very top of the protective wings. We eventually got that just right and offered free replacements to anyone that purchased the early peep.

There is a reason the Dog Leg rail has a step down at the front end and the peep sight these guys copied was designed to work in conjunction with that step. The rail above has no step down and places the copied peep sight about ¼” too high and that’s a lot. The effect of that will be like trying to zero your weapon for 100 meters with the rear leaf setting scaled up to the 800 meter mark. To confirm this for yourself set your weapon to the 300M battle sight setting. You’ll find the sight leaf lays about perfectly level to the rifle. Now look at the picture above. Since the rail has no step, it extends level from the sight block just like the leaf does at the 300M setting. Now place the copied peep sight on top of that and you see the problem. If you do all your shooting at 800M with irons then you have no worries. If your looking for back up irons to work from 100-300 your outta luck here, hence the super cheap price.

For those that have worked with TWS in the past I genuinely appreciate your support and will continue to develop innovative hardware for you that provides the most cost effective solutions.

Nelson
“That’s all I have to say about that.” Forrest Gump

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I guess I should be deeply flattered. However, what I see in the photo above goes beyond the flattery of deriving inspiration from another’s ideas to create your own and crosses a line that honorable men wouldn’t cross.

From the exactness of copy of the peep sight above to the TWS product I’d be willing to bet dollars to donuts that the peep sight shown came right out of my shop and was photographed before they had a chance to get their own copy made. This is something I would have expected from the Chicoms and not another American company which I formerly recommended and thought of as a good source for AK parts.

Another bit of wisdom we all know is that you get what you pay for and if it seems too good to be true it probably isn’t. My best guess from what I see is they made a mountain of these things, maybe even in China, to get the price down. Low cost is always good and volume lowers cost. Only afterwards, someone discovered the product doesn’t work properly and it now needs to be off-loaded, hence the super cheap price.

You might be wondering how I arrived at all that from one little picture. Well, I’ll tell ya. Keep in mind we will use the 7.62 as reference in this discussion as the problems will be exacerbated for the 5.45 which had it’s own issues and required a caliber specific peep sight design. As many of you that have followed the Dog Leg thread from the beginning will remember, getting the rear peep sight to work just right took several tries. The big problem was getting the aperture in just the right place to zero with the front sight at 100M. The early model peep sights were just a TINY bit too tall and that caused the big problem of the front sight post having to be unscrewed up to the very top of the protective wings. We eventually got that just right and offered free replacements to anyone that purchased the early peep.

There is a reason the Dog Leg rail has a step down at the front end and the peep sight these guys copied was designed to work in conjunction with that step. The rail above has no step down and places the copied peep sight about ¼” too high and that’s a lot. The effect of that will be like trying to zero your weapon for 100 meters with the rear leaf setting scaled up to the 800 meter mark. To confirm this for yourself set your weapon to the 300M battle sight setting. You’ll find the sight leaf lays about perfectly level to the rifle. Now look at the picture above. Since the rail has no step, it extends level from the sight block just like the leaf does at the 300M setting. Now place the copied peep sight on top of that and you see the problem. If you do all your shooting at 800M with irons then you have no worries. If your looking for back up irons to work from 100-300 your outta luck here, hence the super cheap price.

For those that have worked with TWS in the past I genuinely appreciate your support and will continue to develop innovative hardware for you that provides the most cost effective solutions.

Nelson

You should teach those bastards a lesson by sending me a PSL Dog Leg to test for you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:47:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A true Beryl rail is significantly different (and better) and probably costs more than $40...

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Liquidmetalpics/AK%20Misc/dc364200.jpg

i wish we could get beryls here!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Liquidmetalpics/AK%20Misc/dc364200.jpg

i wish we could get beryls here!

No doubt.  Serbian M21s would be nice also.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nelson

I didn't look too closely since I was turned off immediately by the rear attachment method, but now that you mentioned it, and I went back and looked at the pic again... DAMN! that peep does look mighty high, doesn't it?

I'd have to see one in person of course, but from the pic it looks like the peep is there purely for show and won't be useful at all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
If you are running a VLTOR ar stock adapter I just discovered a very easy way to make this rail disconnect without tools. The old RRA scope mount I had laying around has thumb screws which happen to be the correct thread for rear tang screw

I did the same thing with the one I had.  It is better, but then you have a big "nut" at the back. I turned my down and shaped it to fit into the countersunk area at the mounting point, but still didn't like the look of it.  Also as discussed above, the peep sight will be way too tall.  I experimented at mounting an altered A2 rear rear peep on the slanted part of the mount, but it was going to be a lot of work and it still didn't look right.  When Rafga came out with his rail I sold it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I got the rail in today and it seems like a decent piece, but the peep is worthless. I didn't realize how high it is...not a chance in hell it will work.

I thought about keeping it for a future hunting rig or something, but I may just send it back and get a ultimak. As much as I don't want to I think the ultimak looks like the best option for mounting a red dot ATM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I thought so, just from the pics.  That sorta takes DPH down a few notches in my book.  Why they would market something that they know will not work as it appears it will is beyond me and seems a bit unethical in my book.

Why not try the TWS rail?  Although it is more expensive than the DPH unit by a good bit, it has an actual working peep, sits lower for a decent cheek weld, and has a quick release at the rear.  Personally I would prefer it to an Ultimak for a few reasons.

Actually, if the Krebs rail wasn't so much it would be my pick.  Not that I don't think it is a quality piece, and it may be worth every penny, but it is just more than I'd want to spend for a rail at the moment.  If it was only $200 or so I'd be all over it though.  Sturdy build, excellent quick release design, and the best rear sight available for an AK IMO.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I got the rail in today and it seems like a decent piece, but the peep is worthless. I didn't realize how high it is...not a chance in hell it will work.

I thought about keeping it for a future hunting rig or something, but I may just send it back and get a ultimak. As much as I don't want to I think the ultimak looks like the best option for mounting a red dot ATM.

For a red-dot sight, Ultimak is the way to go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I thought so, just from the pics.  That sorta takes DPH down a few notches in my book.  Why they would market something that they know will not work as it appears it will is beyond me and seems a bit unethical in my book.

Why not try the TWS rail?  Although it is more expensive than the DPH unit by a good bit, it has an actual working peep, sits lower for a decent cheek weld, and has a quick release at the rear.  Personally I would prefer it to an Ultimak for a few reasons.

Actually, if the Krebs rail wasn't so much it would be my pick.  Not that I don't think it is a quality piece, and it may be worth every penny, but it is just more than I'd want to spend for a rail at the moment.  If it was only $200 or so I'd be all over it though.  Sturdy build, excellent quick release design, and the best rear sight available for an AK IMO.

I ruled out the gen-1 TWS rail a long time ago because of my shooting technique. When I shoot my 74 I have a nose on dust cover hold basically. Just like I do nose to charging handle on an AR. The first TWS rail would make me have to get further away from the rifle and honestly I do not want that. Especially now that I have the VLTOR stock...it shoulders exactly like my AR and I want it to stay that way.

I am still really interested in the gen2, but I am impatient and don't know how much longer I can wait.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I got my stuff in the mail today. Its not too shabby!

Yea the peep sits too high but I can't co-witness with my PA Red Dot anyways so its not much of a loss there.

here's a picture

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u190/mickelobe/shootin/akreddot.jpg

Unfortunately I have no ammo to go shooting and today and probably wont be able to for a few weeks

I did run a laser boresight to see how badly the RDS was off and to my surprise it was within inches at 20yd (can't see further in daylight)

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I ordered one of these to check out and it arrived today.  Not only is the peep ridiculously high, but the rail isn't parallel to the bore and it flexes in the middle.  The front hex screw is also oddly long and has excessive play.  I'm going to mess around with it for a bit but suspect I'll be throwing it in the parts box never to be seen again.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yea the peep sits too high but I can't co-witness with my PA Red Dot anyways so its not much of a loss there.

here's a picture

Unfortunately I have no ammo to go shooting and today and probably wont be able to for a few weeks

I did run a laser boresight to see how badly the RDS was off and to my surprise it was within inches at 20yd (can't see further in daylight)

Co-witness is a little over rated, IMHO, since reliable BUIS and a QD for the optic works fine for me.  Even without co-witness I would still want the ability to remove the dead optic and still have a functional weapon, but if the rear sight is not functional and your optic goes down you then have a sightless weapon.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:01:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

here's a picture

I love the looks of that setup, but no co-witness or working BUIS makes this setup a no go for me.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got my DPH rail, and mounted it.  OK....now, what is the purpose of the set screw?
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#28]
If it is at the front like the old ones it is supposed to stop any up and down movement at the pivot point.  The TWS Dog Leg does not use this and works fine, so I am not sure it is really necessary.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:33:35 AM EDT
[#29]
I fabricated a simple L-bracket to hold down the back of the DPH rail on my Polish UF.  I tack welded a 10-32 bolt to it, and used a small knurled nut purchased from Lowe's.  A little crude, but it does the job.  I'll bore sight it in and see how off it is.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#30]
very badass man!
Link Posted: 9/18/2010 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#31]
They updated their website and are suspending sales of this rail due to the claims that the rear peep sight won't work due to the height.
Link Posted: 9/19/2010 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top