Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/16/2010 5:54:46 AM EDT
I was contemplating adding an Ultimak front handguard rail and red dot sight to an Arsenal SGL21 for my latest AK project.  I don't have the gun yet...but Christmas is around the corner!  Unfortunately, I am a complete novice with tools and gunsmithing (I'm ok at turning screwdrivers and have a rubber mallot but that's it).  Does this modication require any "fitting" to the lower standard handguard that comes with the Arsenal gun?  (i.e. Dremel, parts modification).  If so, I can seek some professional help.

Also, I was considering adding the Tapco lower handguard since it has the potential to add additional rails to the lower handguard.  Would this modification require some fitting with the Ultimak?  Any experience with the Tapco lower handguards and rails?  This is a fun gun/plinker so I'm not concern with "battlefield" durability, just recreational use.

Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The M1-B will fit with the SGL21's standard K-Var handguard without modification, I've never used the Tapco HG and don't know what kind of fitting is required but FWIW I wouldn't use the Tapco anyway. They make a great fire control group but I stay away from the rest of their products in general.

If you want a lower railed HG I'd suggest the LHV47 polymer rail. It will require some fitting to mount with the Ultimak because the sides are a tad higher than standard K-Var HG's but it's worth the time to tinker with it. A few minutes with a dremel will get you squared away (no pun intended).

I've been meaning to get around to modifying my LHV to fit with my M1-B Ultimak, will probably go this route on my SGL31

LHV47 lower HG:

Ultimak on SLR105

Z
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 7:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Just noticed this is your first post, welcome to Arfcom!

Z
Link Posted: 10/16/2010 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks for the reply and advice on the LHV handguard.  It took me awhile for figure out that the best information on the AK on the internet was in an AR15 forum
Link Posted: 10/17/2010 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#4]
The Tapco Interfuse handguard set is not bad at all.  I'm using the lower handguard with an Ultimak with some minor work with a Dremel to make clearance for the u-bolts that hold the Ultimak on and some notches on the top of the handguard, along the inside edge for the 4 Ultimak screws.  Also the flimsy "heat shield" has to be removed.

The Tapco handguard is thick and otherwise fits as well as any other polymer handguard.  The Magpul AFG v.1 fits perfectly on the bottom rail (and is the primary reason I used the Tapco unit).

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 8:00:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Arsenal SGL21 and I put an Ultimak M1B on it without any issues.  You will love it.  

The only thing I did different is to add some grip tape to the exposed area on the sides where my fingers would touch - it's not fire-proof, but it does take the edge off of getting burned fingers during rapid fire strings (got the idea off someone here).  Overheating hasn't been an issue for me and my PA MicroDot yet (keeping my fingers crossed) - then again, I'm not fighting off the Zombie Hordes, either!

Ed
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top