Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/25/2011 7:15:20 AM EDT
PHOTOS?!?  Agreed, photos are worth a thousand words.   The NEW TWS Dog Rail Gen II is the answer.

This is my ACOG mounted on my Romanian WASR10.   As stated on the earlier post - I hope to perform my firing tests this week.  The side lip of my engraved Dog Rail does hit the bolt lever and a full rack back to open position cannot be achieved without modification (a condition noted by many Engraved Betas).   The sope position is now PERFECT.  I have tried numerous systems and been disappointed each time.  Previous systems do not mount the scope in a position allowing proper eye relief and scope height while shouldering the rifle.  The Gen II Dog Leg is now the exception!  The rifle now has perfect scope placement for quick target acquisition.  It is so low I am even contemplating removing the front sight.   Ill get the firing tests done soon and post those photos too.  For now, enjoy....

My ACOG 4X mounted on a WASR-10 AK (Romanian). The height and eye relief are perfect.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/OSBConsulting/IMG_1386b.jpg

This shows the "low-profile far-rear" scope mounting that can be achieved with this new rail system. This provides the proper sight relief for an ACOG while shouldering the rifle.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/OSBConsulting/IMG_1385.jpg

Compare the photo above to my Legacy mount.  This photo shows the NEW Dog Leg System UNDER my legacy mount.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/OSBConsulting/IMG_1375.jpg

This compares the legacy mount to the new Gen II rail. Note the large clearence of the previous "low profile" mount. With the legacy mount, the ACOG sits about 3/4" too high and a full 1.0" too far forward for proper eye position.
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff394/OSBConsulting/IMG_1382.jpg
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 9:12:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.
That appears to be a RCO set up for the 5.56mm round, so other than initial zero range how do you expect the BDC to work when the two rounds are so different.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  Thank you for the picts.  I might pick up the ta33 with 7.62x39 bdc.  I think the little extra eye relief might be best for the recoil.  Thank you for posting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the ACOG, but I still think that it is too tall for the AK. If you could get the TWS rail cut to allow the ACOG to be attached directly to it without the mount it would be about right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I love the ACOG, but I still think that it is too tall for the AK. If you could get the TWS rail cut to allow the ACOG to be attached directly to it without the mount it would be about right.

I brought that up to Nelson in the past, but I am not sure if that would violate any patents.

Now that there is an ACOG with the 7.62mmS reticle, I may have to jump on that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#5]
That looks good - though still mighty high.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

http://www.mazdas247.com/members/Horse/RS%20AKOG/RS%20AKOG%203%20Post.jpg

That side mount would be perfect if it was for the ta33 and the new 7.62x39 bdc.  How hard would it be to modify or make an alternate mount for the ta33?
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]

I like ACOG, have it mounted on almost everything. But that's the problem, it seats too high on almost everything without a Picatinny rail.  It's just incredible that you still need a TA51 adaptor for ACOG to mount to anything other than the AR15 carry handle.

I have it on HK, it's mounted via the Claw mount + TA51. It seats very high and requires a cheek-piece.

Looks like you need a cheek-piece on the stock even for the low-mount position...  Looks like one would be making a chin wield versus cheek wield, not conducive to accuracy.

How solid is the cover in place, what keeps it in the same spot, any screw?  Does it move at all, does the scope lose focus during the cover removal?  You know, just a fraction of a MM is enough to disturb the zero.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:31:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I am working on the mount for traditional ACOG's like the TA33's as well as the Special Ring Mount 1.5X models.  

Do you have a link to the 7.62x39 ACOG?

Quoted:

I like ACOG, have it mounted on almost everything. But that's the problem, it seats too high on almost everything without a Picatinny rail.  It's just incredible that you still need a TA51 adaptor for ACOG to mount to anything other than the AR15 carry handle.

You won't need anything to cheekweld using the RS AKOG mounts.  I know - mine doesn't.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Somehow that just looks...

...wrong.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Do you have a link to the 7.62x39 ACOG?

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA33A-13

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TA33A-13
 [/quote]

That's cool. I didn't know they made one. AK carbine + ACOG = nice combo.  It's just begs to be put together.

But pray tell, where does one get a dust cover that's solid enough not to move and not to lose zero during removal?

My Claw mount returns to zero every time on the HK during removal, but the dust cover should be secured somehow to stay in the same spot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#12]
The "dust cover" is actually a new mounting system from TWS (Texas Weapon Systems) called the Dog Leg.   This is the Gen II beta version.   The cover replaces the normal AK dust cover and rear sight leaf.   The rail mounts at the rear sight leaf and bites down tight.
Contact touch points to the AK include -
1.  A new dust cover spring button (which is included with the kit)
2. The sides of the cover are flexed in to bite down on the AK sides
3. Rear sight leaf - the tension from contact with the rear sight leaf

While the mount feels very secure, I still need to fire test it.    It feels tighter than my side mount but still needs testing.   Sight position feels perfect but the ability to maintain its accuracy is thus far unconfirmed.

I am off to the range, I'll post results.
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#13]

That's cool. I didn't know they made one. AK carbine + ACOG = nice combo.  It's just begs to be put together.

But pray tell, where does one get a dust cover that's solid enough not to move and not to lose zero during removal?

My Claw mount returns to zero every time on the HK during removal, but the dust cover should be secured somehow to stay in the same spot.[/quote]

He may have beat me to this, but the TWS hinges where the old rear sight did. It's a pretty awesome mount and I know at least two people who say it has held zero after many, many openings of the cover because it is indexed with the rear sight mount
Link Posted: 2/5/2011 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

http://www.mazdas247.com/members/Horse/RS%20AKOG/RS%20AKOG%203%20Post.jpg

Amazing, What mount is that!? Looks perfect for an acog, 'cept a little far foreward for my taste. I've got an acog sittin around I'd love to put on my AK with whatever setup this is.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top