Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2011 9:38:15 AM EDT
I just wanted to give an unsolicited opinion on a product I recently bought,  the DBMG Tri-rail mount for the AK.  I am not in any way affiliated with this company.

Although I mostly collect original AK's (the kind Uncle Mikhail would be proud of),  I do have a nice tactical zombie-killer that needed a good light mount.  However,  I did not want to install a complete rail system on the front end of my rig, because I just like the wood fore-grips too much.

Unfortunately,  the vast majority of the available barrel-mounted picatinny rails are junk.  Usually, mounting accessories directly on the barrel of any rifle will induce accuracy problems through deflection of the barrel, causing stress on a particular point along the barrel, or messing with the barrel's harmonics.  So by installing a junk light-rail on your barrel, you are just exacerbating the problem.

Not so with DBMG's product...

The mount is milled in the USA from a 7075 billet, and finished in Type #3 MilSpec anodizing, so it is tough. It features three precisely-cut picatinny rails for a variety of mounting options for flashlights, lasers, bipods, etc. The mount is made for the particular diameter of your barrel, not like some universally adjustable (and potentially sloppy) units available. It is machined to match the profile of your barrel perfectly, thus keeping the stress-points absolutely minimized. It uses tightly machined locater-pins to ensure the barrel-clamping mechanism does not get skewed when tightening around the barrel by the hidden allen screws.  This provides a clean and purposeful look to the unit, with no unnecessary protuberances to snag on under use. The unit clears the gas tube enough to allow the natural expansion/contraction of the tube's metal, thereby preventing any extra pressure from stressing the barrel. It will even allow the use of the cleaning rod, if you want.  The DBMG Tri-rail mount is only 4oz, so it will barely affect the swing-weight of your rifle.

I recently ran my AK zombie-gun in an indoor 2-gun rifle competition, which I usually shoot with my AR.  Part of the course-of-fire is a low-light simulation where the race is conducted in the dark.  This necessitates the use of a flashlight, both on the rifle and the pistol.  Whereas rail-mounted flashlights are the norm on tactical AR-setups, it is much different on the AK, and this is why I required a QUALITY light mount.  The junk mounts would certainly loosen up from the inhospitable recoil and heat-expansion from the barrel during the quick fire-move-and-reload competition. This not only would result in the nuisance of having a flashlight rattling around on the end of the barrel,  but it would affect accuracy as well;  A necessary pre-requisite for a competition rifle.

The DBMG mount gave me no such issues.  It held ultra-firm to the barrel,  supporting my Surefire weaponlight well, and did not affect my accuracy as far as I could tell.  Earlier, I had sighted-in the rifle using a Harris bi-pod and Picatinny adapter attached to the DBMG mount.  Quite convenient I must say, and not something I have ever been able to do before with an AK.

Overall I am very pleased with this little trinket, and the only negative I can think of is the price.  At $59.95, it is not your usual cheap-ass Chinese-made tactical AK crap. Rather, it is a finely-machined US-made product that is worthy of being mounted on any nice AK owned by a discerning individual.  You get what you pay for with the DBMG Tri-rail for sure.

Link to the product here:
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Good review.  Do you have any of your own pics to post?
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's what I did with mine ––

Still using the Ultimak for the flashlight.

DBMG mount is for the OTAL!

Don't mind the non-pistol grip. This is CA!

Link Posted: 11/14/2011 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice write up, I like the product as well and will probably order a second one. Here's mine swapped around on my 2 favorite AK's

Z
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top