Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2012 11:00:22 PM EDT
Here are some pics of the new handguard system. The top rail of the handguard is coplanar with the Dog Leg cover and has the same exterior shape. Optional side rails can be bolted on. Shown are the standard length and the long top version. Both versions use the same lower half and we change the top half for either configuration. The standard handguard retainer must be removed for either version and the long top also requires removal of the rear sight block.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:03:25 PM EDT
[#1]
The small hinge in the center holds the two parts together and allows the top cover to hinge open in the normal manner. The hinge uses an AR-15 rear take down pin. By pulling the pin the top cover can be lifted off thus eliminating the need for quick release rings on a long scope.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Here you can see the broad spacing on the barrel clamps which helps to stiffen the barrel. The barrel clamps are shown in the white for clarity but, production units will be black.

The first thing we do for installation is replace that nasty old guide tube with a new matte finish stainless steel guide tube.

Here you can see the guide tube supported by integral saddles in the top half of the handguard. No clips, pins, or other gadgets to break or get lost. The top half of the guard can be removed and replaced without loss of zero. Notice the small tabs machined in along the edge. Those tabs fit into corresponding slots in the bottom half to precisely align everything together. Also, there are stainless steel helicoils to protect the threads in the aluminum.

Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Here you can see the flange on the tube fitting into a groove in the front barrel clamp. This feature locates the guide tube in the front/rear direction. Again, no clips, pins, or other gadgets to break or get lost. When you remove the top half for cleaning the tube drops right out. The space between the guide tube and the gas block measures about 1/2 inch. At first that seems to freak people out a little. The functioning of the rifle is completely unaffected by this space. We have fired thousands of rounds without malfunction. Our tube is modeled on the RPD machine gun which has about a 3/4" space. The reason the original AK guide tube ran all the way to the gas block is simply to use it as a support and save on one extra component.

Here the piston is just coming out of the guide tube.

The piston is now bridging the gap between the guide tube and gas block with a small amount inside each component.

The piston has exited the guide tube and is guided by the gas block.

The piston is fully seated into the gas block.
Link Posted: 2/13/2012 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Never thought I would say this regarding guns but that is BEAUTIFUL!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Very nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
When I first saw the pics of the new rail, I was interested. Now I am completely turned off. Good luck with the project though; I'm sure there are going to be plenty folks in the tacticool crowd to jump on this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Nice!

When can we order one?

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Nice! I want a short one. How can I get one? Beta testers? If so Dibs!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Awesome rail Nelson. Any chance you can machine the QD swivel points into the hand guard? 4 or 5 locations would be awesome!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Swweeeeeet!  Nice work.

Are you usig a standard TWS topcover,  or is it special for the new rail system and hinge ?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If you need some beta testing on this I am willing to Volunteer. And of course pay to get my mits on one.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Swweeeeeet!  Nice work.

Are you usig a standard TWS topcover,  or is it special for the new rail system and hinge ?

Yes, we use the standard topcover. I felt it was important the handguard be backward compatible with all the covers out there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Your going to make me spend money Rafaga.
Chalk me up on the Beta volunteer list as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#14]
On the second model tgat you listed here, can you remove the RSB to save weight?

I really really like this.  Nice work!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On the second model tgat you listed here, can you remove the RSB to save weight?

I really really like this.  Nice work!

Top of the first page, rear sight block must be removed for the long version to fit.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:25:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Will this fit on a Draco?
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
reading comprehension. :/
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#18]
kinda curious about the gap between the gas block and the gas tube.  Doesn't hot gas blow out the gap when the piston cycles?  Seems like a good way to get toasty hands if you're used to gripping forward as much as possible.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:34:52 PM EDT
[#19]
So could one remove the front sight then use a set of AR sights, or would they be to high?
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Gamechanger
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So could one remove the front sight then use a set of AR sights, or would they be to high?

You would need a cheek riser. The rifle pictured has a Magpul MOE stock on it which Magpul sells risers for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks, along with that question any update on an adjustable rear sight?
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]
What's going on with these? My computer was down for a month & I come back to find that nothing has changed. I'm down for the long top. Got the Dremel fired up & ready to chop off the RSB. Let's get this show on the road!
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 4:50:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Put me on the "if you need testers" list.  I do a full write up on my review page to boot.  

Review page

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top