Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/13/2013 4:08:41 AM EDT
Just in case you got one of these oldies but goodies sight (well...not so good if the d@mn on-off switch broke!), a nice write up at high road forum for the switch maintenance/fix:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=530849
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey Guys,

I'm resurrecting this old thread to recommend a friend of mine and Class 3 FFL/Gunsmith, Brian "Gabby" Gabel who fixed my Kobra sight.

About six months ago or so I, without realizing that Kobra's had a delicate on and off switch, I tried to force the frozen switch to turn on. Damn thing broke off right in my hand. A couple of small parts flew off, and a small metal ball bearing was the only thing I recovered (by the grace of God) other than the switch. I then looked on the internet and found that the switches on these sights were delicate and prone to breaking. I found the instructions on how to fix them, but am not really inclined on working on electronics, so I looked around for someone who might be able to fix it, but could find no takers. I pretty much figured the sight was a total loss, and considered selling it as parts.

I asked Gabby recently if he had any experience in fixing electronics, and he said I did. He thought he could fix the Kobra, so I gave it to him yesterday along with the switch and the ball bearing. He had it done today, and I was pleasantly surprised at the repair. I've seen pics of repairs that others have made to their Kobras, and they looked pretty rough (although apparently functional), using whatever metal they could use to fix and replace the switch. The repair looks factory and the sight works like a champ! Gabby told me that he did some drilling and tapping, used some Loctite and some expoy and the repair is way better than I was hoping for, and way stronger than it was before.

If anyone hasn't found someone that can fix their Kobra, or you don't have the skill to do it yourself, Gabby said he would be interested in fixing them for others. Here is a pic of the repaired Kobra.

Here is a pic of the Kobra on the Krink he is building me, which I will be reviewing eventually in the AK discussion forum. He is open for business if you need a build done. His website is in the link below:

http://gabelsgunworks.com/index.htm

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top