User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/13/2009 2:47:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:25:55 AM EDT
[#1]
LINK

LINK

Love the rail, but dont expect those Hogue grips any time soon.  Ordered mine a while back w/o luck.

Huge WIN for UFs with both of these products.

Ha, damn Hogue  at least someone has their grips hehe
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Nice work.  I'll probably end up getting both for my M70AB2.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
How  is the rear sight rail attached ? It looks like you use at least one  screw. Does it have another attachment point to prevent wiggle or the sight from flipping over ? It also looks a bit high. A shorter version  would be nice for use the  micro sight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:36:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:49:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Could we see what the rear sight looks like.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:18:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Rear sight Rail  RSR1  attaches with one cross screw and uses the leafspring slot.    A small foot on the  RSR1 moves along the long axis of the bottom of the rail.   This allows the foot to be tightened, locking the rail and pulling it downward between the crossbolt and leafspring seat.    We are working on some other models.  Longer, lower.  What do you guys think?

Thanks  hope that helps

Scott Samson

I think  that is a great idea. I think the weakness in previous  designs was that the sight would wobble or flip upward. Larue uses a strong magnet  to help hold his AK  Iron Dot down but  a locking foot design is better. I think I might give the RSR1 a try.

I would prefer a shorter lower version as I would use it with a micro red dot sight. Lowering the sight along with a cowittnessing  rear sight would be great if you could make one in the future.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks pretty trick - would like to see reviews....perhaps - as mentioned, a few different lengths would be cool.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:43:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Can we see a photo of the rear sight rails back up sight, and the sight picture threw it?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 8:43:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Here are my observations on the Rear sight mount. First you should change the picture on the website to show the front mounting screw mounted on the LEFT side rather the the RIGHT. On my Rom G I needed to mount the screw on the Left side so that it would not interfere with the function of the gas tube lever.

I also had trouble mounting an aimpoint micro H1 as the rail was sl. too thin. I had to make a thin shim from a feeler guage to allow the aimpoint to grab the underside of the rail. After mounting with the shim it was solid.

I would prefer the sight rail to sit a little lower but at least it is not as high as a Kobra or PK-A. The back up iron sight notch is adequate but  a circle aperature would have been better. I deepened the notch and made it a little wider with a file.

Overall it is a nice design and I like it. It is a nicely machined piece of steel. I am not sure why the aimpoint mount did not fit the rail. I have no problems mounting the aimpoint to my other rife that has  a Krebs rail.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
so am i seeing this right? this replaces the rear notch sight? and then what is its backup, another notch or a peep sight? or am i completely off-base
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
so am i seeing this right? this replaces the rear notch sight? and then what is its backup, another notch or a peep sight? or am i completely off-base

You look down the channel of the picatinny rail to get the rear sight picture.
Link Posted: 6/20/2009 3:44:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Here are some pics of my setup:

A view of the iron sight from the rear. I cut the sight a little wider to the Right to compensate for some barrel cant. I also added some white stripes to make it stand out more.

Here is the mount with the shim I needed to allow the Aimpoint H1 to grab the rail. Before I added the shim I overtorqued the mounting bolt for the sight and sheared it off trying to get it tight enough to grab the rail.  Fortunately, I had a spare Aimpoint QD lever mount and was able to use it to mount the sight. The QD sight also needed the shim as even tighthend down completely the H1 was loose on the rail.

Here is the completed setup. My next project may be to cut off the first two rail segments  in front of the scope to make the mount more compact. I have held off as I have not yet decided if I want to try to mount a pistol scope to the mount later.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2009 3:44:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the cheek rest low enough to use with the factory sights or was it only designed to use with your new mount and a red dot?
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 2:21:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#18]
dntama - thanks for the review.

I ordered both the cheek rest and rail for my Yugo underfolder.  I'll be using a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on the rail.  I'll post my thoughts/findings on the 2 pieces as soon as I get them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Old school tag
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I took mine out to the range today. It works great with a micro sight. The mount is rock solid. The back up iron sight works great with an XS tritium striped front sight.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 3:28:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

We have sold quite a few of these items  Anybody with some pictures?

Scott Samson

According to Annie, my order is on hold waiting for the cheek rest.  It seems they hit the website before they were ready to ship...

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Will the cheek rest also work with the romy side folder?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We have sold quite a few of these items  Anybody with some pictures?

Scott Samson

I am VERY pleased with this mount. High quality materials and machine work. Rock solid mounting. The see thru channel with site notch is perfect for close quarter back ups. I had not planned on posting any pics of this work in progress til I was finished but since Mr. Samson asked for pics I could not refuse.

With my handloads at 100yds in a 5 shot string 3 of 5 rounds were touching!

SLR-95 Finest AK ever made hands down! Now I have a equally fine optics mount to compliment it. Thanks Samson! I've been looking for a long time and nothing every appealed to me for this application until I saw your product.

I'll post more pics of this project as it goes along.

Link Posted: 7/2/2009 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Looking at the picture of the mount I see a " Patent Pending " mark on it. Thats a good thing before LaRue copies it..........

Link Posted: 7/3/2009 3:19:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 5:29:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thank you for the picture post.   It is always fun to see what people are mounting these on.

Scott Samson

Any chance you are you going to make a lower-profile version of this?

I would like to see one with a rail that doesn't extend over the "ears" of the front sight mounting point, and have a rail height that is basically flush with those ears.  I guess a good reference point would be if it was the same height as your quad rail forend's top rail, or as close to that as possible.

If I could mount a T1 nice and low, I wouldn't so much care about a rear sight.  I'd rather have it more streamlined and as close to the bore as possible.  Or if you kept the rear sight, and I had to remove the optic, that would work too.

I just think the damn thing sits too high, otherwise it looks like a fantastic design.  Looks damn near perfect for a larger optic as someone has posted, but for a red dot I think a lower profile one would be idea.
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 2:07:54 PM EDT
[#28]
So I mounted the RSR on my M70AB2 today, and like dntama with his Aimpoint, found the rail undersized for my Bushnell TRS red dot  

I was feeling lucky, so I modified (dremeled) the clamping mechanism of the TRS so it would draw in further and grab the rail ( which it did).  The TRS is now rock solid on the rail, but it would have been nice to have been able to skip this step.
Overall I am very happy with this rail and think the design is ingenious and very solid, but maybe (just maybe) the rail might be a tad on the small side...

ETA pics:

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Very nice mount....I like the ability to mount optic of my choice.  Fix the rail width issue, make it lower, longer (not to interfere with removal of dustcover) and keep iron sight backup and then put me down for two!!  Nicely done...
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Didn't see the hogue grips on the website yet.  Do you still have any in, Scott?  I'm looking to pick up one of those and the UF cheek rest.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 7:27:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I LIKE the cheekrest.  I had envisioned something like that.  

Once I get my M70 underfolder built, I'll likely want to check into getting one.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2009 6:47:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thank you for the picture post.   It is always fun to see what people are mounting these on.

Scott Samson

Any chance you are you going to make a lower-profile version of this?

I'd like to know this also ?

Link Posted: 8/10/2009 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#33]
liquidmetal
how is your cheekweld with the rail/red dot, I like the looks I am just wondering if it is a bit high. Do you have to lift your head a little to use the dot?
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 2:42:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

liquidmetal

how is your cheekweld with the rail/red dot, I like the looks I am just wondering if it is a bit high. Do you have to lift your head a little to use the dot?

Cheekweld is pretty much a chin weld. I had Samson's cheek rest on order with the rail, but the rest wasn't ready for shipment (on backorder) and it was holding up my rail so I cancelled the cheek rest. I still plan on getting the cheek rest at some point.  The cheekweld on underfolders sucks to begin with, so it bothers me little.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:25:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Great looking setup but sits too high for my taste...if you can make it sit lower and fix the rail thickness issue, sign me up for one!

The mounting setup you've developed and the ability to mount the optic of my choice is a huge advantage over the competition.  Maybe some flip up dog ears or peep sight (similar to those on the FN FS2000) to help solve the height issue, ie a much lower profile (advantage your competition enjoys) that still has BUIS capability?
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#36]
damn, i was late in finding this thread.  

is there an ETA for the cheek rest?

thanks.
Link Posted: 8/11/2009 6:03:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I would like a lower rear sight rail also. However I added a "stubby"  VFG to my Lancaster and it makes the higher sight more tolerable.

Link Posted: 8/11/2009 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Wish someone would come up with a cheekrest attachment like this for the Romanian side-folding wire stock.
Link Posted: 8/12/2009 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#39]
After reading through all this and making a decision as to which mount to buy I decided to go another route than the samson. Don't get me wrong. I think it looks good, from what I've read it mounts solid and it's machined very well. But for my application as with some other guys here it sits too high and for me it wont go as far back as I needed it.

So I decided to go with the Scout Scope Mount. The rail is a bit thinner and is originally intended to go over the rear sight block but I flipped it around to give me proper eye relief on my scope. The scope will come off since its only going to be used like twice a year for hog hunting. I'm going to get another rail and install a Micro T1 on it.

Link Posted: 8/12/2009 6:49:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Wish someone would come up with a cheekrest attachment like this for the Romanian side-folding wire stock.

Ditto on that, Any  chance of that Scott?
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 4:34:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Can you make a version of the cheek rest for the E.German/Tantal side folding stock?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/13/2009 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Can you make a version of the cheek rest for the E.German/Tantal side folding stock?

Thanks

Now that would be something to have!
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 5:18:22 AM EDT
[#43]
That scout scope rail mounts with set screws huh? I don't want anything that would damage my sight block.

The RSR1 looks real nice ... I only wish it was lower. I figure a perfect cowitness is basically impossible ... but a little lower would be nice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:52:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Tag for later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:21:00 AM EDT
[#45]
It looks like the RSR1 is too long for Red Dot purposes, but too short for most scopes. Why not make a version that is short (Burris FF, Aimpoint Micro, etc.), and then make a longer one for using magnified optics.

I also agree that a lower version would be nice too.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top