Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/23/2009 8:15:25 AM EDT
What would I need/can I convert a MAK90 to accept a side folding stock?  The triangle type.  This rifle is in original configuration so would I need to add any compliance parts?  Rifle was purchased in '94.  Thanks, Wesley
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 9:03:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I put a side folder on my MAK-90 a couple of years ago after getting all the US parts. I do not remember which country’s stock I used but I think it was Romanian. I had to file some off of the sides of the stock (the section that goes into the receiver) to get it to fit. Not a lot and I took my time. The only real issue I had was finding the right screw to fit the stock. Mine did not come with it. The nice guys at Home Depot helped me find the right one. I took my stock with me. It was a little bit too long and prevented the stock from folding so I used my grinder to shorten it a little.

The folding wire stock is not the most comfortable think out their but I like it.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 9:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Stock I am wanting to use is this type:

pic from Kreb's Custom http://www.krebscustom.com/KalashnikovRifles.shtml

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 9:51:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Can't help you with that one.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 10:00:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Installing a triangle folding stock on a MAK-90 would require quite a bit of modification to the receiver. Unless you have a lot of experience building and working on AK's I wouldn't recommend it.

If you just like the look of the triangle stock and don't care about the ability to fold FSE makes a fixed triangle stock that attaches like any regular stock would without any modification to the receiver. I have one on my MAK-90:

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 10:51:33 AM EDT
[#5]
You would need to remove the existing rear trunion.
Weld up the rivet holes.
Take a bulgy side folder trunnion and mill it down to fit in a Chinese Receiver (they're thicker)  
Drill the receiver to the new rivet pattern
Cut out the space for the hinge Latch
Rivet the new trunnion on.

you would then be good to go for the back end.

Installing the latch on the front trunnion is a whole different story and may be impossible due to the chinese rivet pattern up there.

All in all a lot of work.

Install an ace side folder.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Nevermind.

I'll just pick up a 74!

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a MAK-90 and a '74 (Arsenal Bulgaria SLR-105 made to resemble an AKS-74) and, if you're willing to consider the '74 I would go that route.  The guys giving instructions on how to install are misleading you.  If you have never done one I DO NOT recommend even attempting this yourself.  If you have a lot of gunsmithing experience and you've been building your own AK's for a while you might be able to figure it out.  But you're gonna want someone to install it that knows what they're doing.  The rear trunnion has to be popped out because a side-folder comes with a completely different trunnion.  Also, the receiver has to be cut to fit the trunnion, hinge, front stock catch, and stock release button.  It's not a job for someone that doesn't know exactly what they're doing.  

The Chinese receivers I hear are just a bit thicker.  You could try calling Mike at The Firing Line in Wyandotte, Oklahoma.  He did my SLR-105 conversion a couple years ago and it's flawless.  Everybody knows about Chris Butler at AK-USA, Mark Krebs, abd a lot of other dudes that are doing high-quality work.  

Or.........you could just buy a '74 and have it installed or buy one that already has the part (if you can find one).  If you feel like dropping $900 Atlantic Firearms has an Afghan Conflict-era (early AKS-74 replica with wood handguards) that looks beautiful.  They've also got a 7.62x39 solid-folder (AK-107 clone) in stock.  Expensive but you gotta love that you can hop on the internet and order an AK.  Now that's convenient
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top