Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2009 5:21:34 PM EDT
I have an early post ban Egyptian Maadi RML imported by PARS. It is a nice gun made entirely in Egypt. Recently I converted it to preban config with a KVAR handguard set, stock, and a TAPCO G2 fire control group. At first I had a Tapco pistol grip, but it moved slightly no matter how tight I made it. I was one over on the parts count  due to no muzzel device, so I switched to a shiny black bakelite pistol grip. It works and looks much better.

The barrel was once threaded, but the threads were turned down. The barrel in front of the FSB is now .482 " wide and smooth.

Right now I have a US made 14 x 1 LH  thread adapter that is held on by 4 set screws. I have a Tapco slant break on the adapter. It stays on when I fire because I put very small dimples for the set screws. I want to thread the barrel. I have the pin and spring for the FSB. Can someone direct me to a specific do-it-yourself barrel threading kit, with the necessary alignment tool, that will work for me.  From what I have read, I think I should go to 1/2 x 28 threads (RH?) because 14 x 1 will not work.  I would like an AK slant break and it must be US made. So I will need a break that will work for the threads I use. Even a barrel nut would be better than nothing.

The other option would be to send the barrel and/or gun out to have it threaded. Does anyone have a good suggestion who I should use for AK barrel threading? I am in Florida.

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same gun and I threaded it myself,wasn't that hard and I'm no machinist.cnc warrior has 1/2x28 RH slant breaks and all the tools you need to thread that barrel.I think I had about35 bucks into everything.nice ak collection btw.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks alot. I just went and ordered everything I need. $45 bucks w/ shipping for the die, a handle, a starter tool, and a slant break in 1/2 x 28 RH. Do you have any tips or advice for actually doing it? I do not need to unpin or move the front sight, do I?  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Dferg10 when your done let us know how it turned out I have a similar problem and was also wondering how to thread my Maadi.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Be very careful...CNC Warriors dies and die holder are extremely thin and prone to cracking. Part of the reason is their die holders are cast thin...

Those from Brownells are much stronger.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 7:43:22 AM EDT
[#5]
tag

I have a Maadi ARM that I would like to thread.  Ideally I'd like to put on a Gemtech bi-lock so I can use a can.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:40:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's some info on AK barrel threading:

http://preciseinnovationsllc.com/threadinginstructions.htm
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:21:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks alot. I just went and ordered everything I need. $45 bucks w/ shipping for the die, a handle, a starter tool, and a slant break in 1/2 x 28 RH. Do you have any tips or advice for actually doing it? I do not need to unpin or move the front sight, do I?  Thanks again.

sure,I just followed the instructions on Dinzag arms website.take your time and be sure to keep backing off the die often to break the chips off.
my die holder didn't look like the one pictured above that does look real thin.I hope you don't have any of those issues with yours.
like I said I'm not a machinist by any means but it didn't seem that hard and it wasn't.just take your time and good luck.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:23:16 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing not mentioned in the instructions is that you should take your FSB off the rifle before threading. The die will bottom out against the FSB before the threads are cut all the way to the FSB. You'll wind up with a gap of uncut barrel.

Here's my AMD that was threaded at an angle (causing the muzzle brake to point to the right) that I cut 1/2" off the barrel and re-threaded at 14x1L.

1/2" cut off and resting on the vise

Using the tools from Brownells. Notice how much beefier they are compared to the CNC stuff.

Threaded for 1/2".

Ready for crowning.

Target crowned.

FSB relocated. Muzzle brake silver soldered through former set screw hole. Gun refinished (16 1/8", by the way, for the 922r police). Just need to install FSB retainer pins.

Here's another I did, a Chinese MAK-90 cut to 1/2x28R (AR-15 threads). This is after the FSB was reinstalled and as I am fitting the cleaning rod retainer.

Retainer and 1/2x28R muzzle nut test fit. Just a little more work to even the rod retainer humps and then refinish the nut.

Rifle complete.

Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

sure,I just followed the instructions on Dinzag arms website.take your time and be sure to keep backing off the die often to break the chips off.
my die holder didn't look like the one pictured above that does look real thin.I hope you don't have any of those issues with yours.
like I said I'm not a machinist by any means but it didn't seem that hard and it wasn't.just take your time and good luck.

Dinzag's dies and tools are heavy-duty.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#10]
What is the minimum barrel diameter required to cut 1/2"-28 threads? You might want to check your barrel and make sure there's enough left before you buy tools. Also, you can do a good job without removing the FSB - after the die bottoms out against the base, you can turn it around and run the flat side up to the base. You'll still have to relieve the threads right in front of the base so the attachment can thread up tight. Here's how I crudely did mine with files but it worked as it should.

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 2:32:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Dinzag Arms rents die sets.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/tools/tkr.html
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:55:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Okay you guys have convinced me that doing it myself is beyond my meager skillz.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got everything in the mail today. It took me about 30-45 minutes to cut the threads and put the slant brake on. Very simple. I already had the plunger pin and spring from k-var. Last weekend I punched out the FSB front retaining pin and installed the brake plunger pin. It is a Bulgarian pin and spring - a bit longer than the existing hole in the face of the Maadi FSB. I used a dremel to gring the plunger pin down and I cut the spring down so they both fit. It was a very easy project. I am glad I did it. If you are considering it-  do it. I will post some pics soon.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I did not take the FSB off. Just knocked the front pin out to install the plunger pin.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm thinking of doing this to my Maadi, Romy SAR-1 and my cousin's Mak-90. Pics would be real nice. Can I use Romanian made dents on all of these? Apex has Romy and Egyptian made, which one would you use?  Romanians are a dollar less.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 1:34:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Dferg,glad eveything went ok for you.if you have even a little mechanical ability its a breeze.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:16:10 AM EDT
[#17]
58zouave- thanks for your help. I agree. Even if someone thinks it may be a bit more than they are comfortable doing- it is worth a try because it is easier than it looks and you will learn as you do it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a slant brake on it now- but would also like a muzzel nut for it. Does anyone know where I can get an AK muzzel nut with 1/2-28 rh threads? or should i just see if i could get one with 14mm threads rethreaded?
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 7:02:23 AM EDT
[#19]
FYI- I called CNC warrior and was told that sometime next month the will be selling AK muzzel nuts threaded 1/2- 28 RH. I will confirm when/if I get one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
heres my maadi I threaded after adding a romanian side folder.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#21]

I love this gun man.. Where did you find the muzzle nut in 1/2-28?

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:11:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I love this gun man.. Where did you find the muzzle nut in 1/2-28?

A guy on AK47.net was making 1/2x28 slant brakes and I e-mailed him to see if he could make me a muzzle nut. He did. I think it was about $20.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Let me know his info and I will get one too...
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#24]
AK47.net links back to here.. ?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top