Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2010 2:40:39 PM EDT
I've seen pics but really what is a KP ak ? :) Thanks :D
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Whatever the tribesmen can cobble together

I think a true Khyber is a 7.62*39 AKM with the triangle side folding stock of an AKS-74.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Found this pic on the interwebs... might be an arfcommers

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#3]
My Khyber Pass, built with a Romanian non-G kit Bulgy side folder and an NDS-1KP. It is one of my favorite rifles.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Found this pic on the interwebs... might be an arfcommers

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/finslayer83/Khyber1.jpg

That's really sweet looking.

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Always wanted one of those to round my collection out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen pics but really what is a KP ak ? :) Thanks :D

That's an interesting question.  For more than a hundred years, there's been Khyber Pass firearms.  The "Kyhber Pass AK" was a name given to a Kalashnikov that was, indeed, cobbled together by the gunsmiths out there.  But the name gained fame when a video of bin Laden surfaced on the news showing him firing a very unique Kalashnikov rifle which appeard to be an AKM but with an AKS-74 side-folding skeleton-type buttstock.  Since then, a few photos had been taken of the same style weapon and made in the Khyber Pass region, among other cobbled together/modified Kalashnikov rifles.  But the nomenclature for that type of Kalashnikov stuck and has become an interesting variant itself.

But it should be noted that nomenclature is probably not accurately deserved.  Uzbek soldiers have apparently been using this type of Kalashnikov for a while - whether it's something the Uzbek military modified with their existing Russian AKM rifles or something the Izmash factory did as a contracted special order for the Uzbek military.

At any rate, taking the major parts from almost any AKM, adding an AKM receiver, then adding the AKS-74 side-folding skeleton buttstock to it pretty much can be considered the "Khyber Pass AK" - I think the goal is to get it as "ghetto" or "Pakistani gunsmith" in appearance as safely possible - Romanian AKM kit with Polish wood handguards, etc.  Otherwise, if it's too perfect/clean/new/nice, it may have to more accurately be called an "Uzbek AK."

Here's some photos of Uzbek military personnel with them (can't remember where the photos came from):

Link Posted: 1/4/2010 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Short version when it comes to AK discussions on the internet:  it generically means an AKM with an AK74 metal side folding stock.

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#8]
KHYBER PIC THREAD!

Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:28:41 AM EDT
[#9]
you should change the title and make this a Khyber pic thread
I have a folding stoch mechanism, bakelite mag, and russian laminate HGs that will hopefully turn into a rifle.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 12:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Needs a new barrel––the LHG retainer slots are milled about 5-10* off axis, so the LHG retainer can't close all the way with the gas tube installed.  But it functions great, no hang-ups whatsoever.  Then again, I build 'em that way.  The ergo grip will be replaced with Russian wood from my '74 when the new barrel gets here, and the replacement proper '74 handguards arrive from rusmilitary.

Range day saturday.  Will have better pics then.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Please note that the information I provide I got from This great book

A Khyber Pass AK is essentially a counterfeit AK made in very basic local workshops in the Khyber Pass corridor, a corridor that lies between Pakistan and Afghanistan. The locals of the Khyber Pass are Pathan clansmen, one of many clans who are fiercely independent and violent in the Paki/Afghan region. Khyber Pass AKs produced in these simle workshops are made from locally procured materials and while great copies they often lack heat treating and other procedures that insure a weapon can fire modern high-pressure ammo.

The small village of Darra Adam Khel is located 40 kilometers south of Peshawar, Pakistan. The village is known for its firearms industry and has over 100 shops in the gun trade. During the early months of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, Darra Adam Khel supplied the Mujahideen with weapons. Ammo is also produced there, one round at a time. Bullets are made from melted scrap metal, powder from unexploded ordnance, primers from matchheads.

Other local workshops of note are located in Nooristan Province NE Afghanistan and Sakhakot, in Malakand region of Pakistan. The shops are made of mud and bricks. The local gunsmiths create accurate copies, mostly of Russian knockoffs using files, drill presses and small forges. They get the steel from railroad track rails, truck frames, springs, etc.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 5:43:57 AM EDT
[#12]
damn that's a sexy AK........
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 11:07:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Like others have mentioned. Triangle butt stock on an AKM is the basic thing.

Build your own the way you want it done!

Mine!

Romy G, NDS, Tapco G2, Tapco GP, USA brake made for 7.62 use, Wood from Ironwood Designs, NDS reciever, home done hot blue finish. Russian bakelite mag and Bulgy drop case too.
Practical and functional!
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Short version when it comes to AK discussions on the internet:  it generically means an AKM with an AK74 metal side folding stock.

That means if I change my plastic folding stock on my wasr10 to a metal one, then I'll have a Kyber Pass..      
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:38:14 PM EDT
[#15]
So....

WASR + modifications + stock = profit on Gunbroker!?
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That means if I change my plastic folding stock on my wasr10 to a metal one, then I'll have a Kyber Pass..      

You'd have to do a bit of work to get the side-folding buttstock adapted right to the receiver but you'd be there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can call it whatever you want.  I'm not a fan of made up nomenclature. I own a Romanian with a 74 sidefolder because its light years better than any underfolder.  I don't refer to it as a "Khyber Pass" any more than I refer to my semi-auto AR carbines as "M4geries."

The man asked what a Khyber Pass AK was.   I gave him the generally accepted definition of that as commonly used in internet discussion forums.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats because a '74 is not a Khyber pass.  KP ak's are 7.62 as other have stated in this thread.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 9:11:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I personally wouldn't consider an AK a Khyber Pass AK unless it was made by locals in the Khyber Pass of Afghanistan/Pakistan. Most have a happy switch too. Probably none of us own a true Khyber Pass AK.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I personally wouldn't consider an AK a Khyber Pass AK unless it was made by locals in the Khyber Pass of Afghanistan/Pakistan. Most have a happy switch too. Probably none of us own a true Khyber Pass AK.

Agreed. If you have a true Kyber Pass AK, you have a lot of explaining to do...
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#21]
My next AK will be a Kyhber Pass version, real or not...    Those rifles look awsome.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Remember.....

Paki made gets you laid
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow! Now I got the "Khyber Pass" rash and I am itching to put one together...

So i guess this would be my "Shopping List" (Copy/add if you like):

1) Nodak NDS-1KP Receiver (1 US Part)
2) Romanian Non-G Parts Kit
3) Bulgarian Side-folding stock
4) Tapco G2 Double-Hook FCG (3 US Parts)
5) US Made Slant Muzzle Brake (1 US Part)
6) US Made AK Pistol Grip (1 US Part)
7) US Made AK Foregrip (1 US Part)

TIme to get this going; anybody knows a good AK smith in the Central Florida area that can rivet the barrel/trunions into the receiver? Let me know.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

TIme to get this going; anybody knows a good AK smith in the Central Florida area that can rivet the barrel/trunions into the receiver? Let me know.

Foregrip isn't on the list of countable parts.

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Foregrip isn't on the list of countable parts.

Well, iam still within the law on it, since I am adding the brake.
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 8:04:52 AM EDT
[#26]
handguard (fore grip) IS on the 922r list.

You want a Single hook FCG as the Nodak receiver is set up for that.  You could mod the receiver to accept a double hook, but is it worth the trouble to you?
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

handguard is, forward grip is NOT.  look again sweetie.

You want a Single hook FCG as the Nodak receiver is set up for that.  You could mod the receiver to accept a double hook, but is it worth the trouble to you?

Actually, the double-hook in a receiver set up for a single is preferable, because it allows someone with a minimum of 3 brain cells to modify the trigger for zero overtravel.
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the double-hook in a receiver set up for a single is preferable, because it allows someone with a minimum of 3 brain cells to modify the trigger for zero overtravel.

Well, i was meaning a handguard and not a Romanian "Donkey Donk" foregrip...

I trade two donkey donks for one Khyber pass, yes?

Link Posted: 1/22/2010 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Which one of these folding stocks for the NDS-1KP reciever? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I plan on building one just like sidecarnutz (Looks great!)  Also, I plan on using Flat black Gunkote, when do I apply it and on what parts? Thanks!

NDS-1KP Reciever    1/3 way down

Sidefolder 1

Sidefolder 2
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#30]
1 is the correct one, but i highly doubt they have it in stock.

DPH Arms sells a chinese-made knockoff, and trust me when you build with it you'll know it's exactly that.  killed 3 bits and almost destroyed a fourth trying to modify an NDS-1KP to work with it.  i guess that makes it more authentic, or something.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 1:26:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ferret,  I know that you know what I am saying is correct.  Someone with 3 braincells ought to be able to figure out that he was not talking about an add on "verticle fore grip" and I know you have many more then 3.   If you wanted to argue as far as saying that you meant a romanian donkey dong, then again I know you know that putting a romanian handguard with a donkey dong on your rifle would add or subtract from a 922r count.

Putting a double hook in as you describe will still require modifying the trigger.  The OP may or may not have the tools or brain cells to do this.  I was simply making him aware that it will not "Drop in"

It saddens me that you have become the "Master Internet corrector guy" that you appear to be lately.  I know unfortunate things have happened to you, but this is not the right way to deal with them sweetie.

Link Posted: 1/22/2010 4:20:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Putting a double hook in as you describe will still require modifying the trigger.

Yeah, that's probably why I said that whole thing about being able to modify it.

I know unfortunate things have happened to you

do tell, what unfortunate things?
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I've wanted a "Khyber Pass" rifle long before I knew there was a trendy name for it.  

I only shoot (own) 7.62X39 AK variants.  I have no desire to get yet another rifle that requires a new caliber and all new magazines.  However, I loved the look/function of a side-folding stock (triangle stock, that is).  I learned that they aren't very common, because there is no such 'kit' that includes a triangle-folder in 7.62.  

In addition, I absolutely love bakelite, but alas, all the bakelite stock sets I found were for milled receivers...  

One day, I walked into my local shop, and there on the wall was my DREAM rifle!  They had two, one was already sold.  I told the shopkeep to take it off the wall, for it was mine!  I had to go back with the scratch for it, but since we're friends, that was cool.

I found a bakelite mag for it, and now I am one HAPPY camper!

The rifle is built off a Romy G-kit, and is VERY nice.

(I just wish I could find a 7.62 bakelite mag that would match the exact coloring of the handguards/grip.)
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I've wanted a "Khyber Pass" rifle long before I knew there was a trendy name for it.  

I only shoot (own) 7.62X39 AK variants.  I have no desire to get yet another rifle that requires a new caliber and all new magazines.  However, I loved the look/function of a side-folding stock (triangle stock, that is).  I learned that they aren't very common, because there is no such 'kit' that includes a triangle-folder in 7.62.  

In addition, I absolutely love bakelite, but alas, all the bakelite stock sets I found were for milled receivers...  

One day, I walked into my local shop, and there on the wall was my DREAM rifle!  They had two, one was already sold.  I told the shopkeep to take it off the wall, for it was mine!  I had to go back with the scratch for it, but since we're friends, that was cool.

I found a bakelite mag for it, and now I am one HAPPY camper!

The rifle is built off a Romy G-kit, and is VERY nice.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y95/jerrellwise/Gun%20Pics/rifles-15.jpg

(I just wish I could find a 7.62 bakelite mag that would match the exact coloring of the handguards/grip.)
it looks good from here! I love the bakelite with the palm swells. The straight ones, not so much. Excellent looking rifle!

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 3:27:41 AM EDT
[#35]
To be a TRUE Khyber Pass rifle it has to have a fine patina of rust on it, weld marks, beat well worn almost sand blasted laminated furniture, and various personal indigineous home gunsmithing adaptations like an extra long charging handle...no semi-auto notch...(full auto only) "engravings" on wood and metal, and extra sling studs in unusual places. Khyber rifles are rarely "pretty"...
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Nothing that a length of rope, a car bumper, and a 10 minute drive down a gravel road can't fix for that "rugged" look.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 2:04:17 PM EDT
[#37]
There you go.

Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#38]
edit
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:29:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
edit[/img]

thanks for the spam, you really contributed a lot to this discussion
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Anybody know who can install a folder to a receiver? I got a mechanism from abroad but have no clue what to do with it
Link Posted: 1/27/2010 6:55:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quick question. On the back of the side folding stocks, is it smooth or ribbed? I had ordered a stock from here but after a week they informed me that they didnt have any in stock. So i'm still in the hunt for one.

If any one has any info on the question above or where to get an original side folding stock I'd greatly appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#43]
I used a Bulgy folder from back when Copes sold them.
Rolled sides and the but plate is ribbed.
Near perfect fit in the NDS reciever.

Something to remember when building a KP on a Romy G kit. The Romy barrel trunnion has a step in it just where you need to drill the hole for the latch pin. You'll need to build that step up and forwards a bit. I moved the step forwards 1/4" or so on mine. Then clean it up in a mill or with a file. Then you can drill it for the latch pin.
Simple to do if you have a good MIG welder.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I used a Bulgy folder from back when Copes sold them.
Rolled sides and the but plate is ribbed.
Near perfect fit in the NDS reciever.

Something to remember when building a KP on a Romy G kit. The Romy barrel trunnion has a step in it just where you need to drill the hole for the latch pin. You'll need to build that step up and forwards a bit. I moved the step forwards 1/4" or so on mine. Then clean it up in a mill or with a file. Then you can drill it for the latch pin.
Simple to do if you have a good MIG welder.

I did not have a welder so I used my dremel and a grinding stone to grind the step level so the drill bit would not walk.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Does anyone have any expierence with the reproduction Triangle folding stocks?  Here

Again, any info would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Nice looking AK

Thanks,  It was a stressfull build but it came out good in the end.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#48]
I have never seen a red Bakelite 7.62 AK magazine besides in pictures.

But yeah, it's basically an AKM with the AK74 triangle folder and has the red magazine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2010 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any expierence with the reproduction Triangle folding stocks?  Here

Again, any info would be greatly appreciated!

If you have the means of obtaining the real thing, I would HIGHLY recommend doing so as opposed to that route.  Scott really bent over backwards to find an affordable version of a high-demand low-supply item to help out the AK community.  Unfortunately the quality of parts definitely leaves a lot to be desired.  Trunnion dimensions are off slightly, but noticeably (both the holes and the back angle are slightly different from an NDS receiver), and the spring for the stock latch (in the trunnion, the large coil spring) can be fully compressed by hand.  An authentic spring is VERY difficult to compress by hand.  Also, the stock units will not interchange between trunnions (chinese vs. bulgarian, for example).  My stock won't fit on my friend's KP build (he used the DPH unit), and his KP's stock won't fit on my AKS-74.

If you're in a pinch, and don't have too much concern with the look of the final product, go for it.

If you're not in a hurry, and want a first-rate-looking product, hold out for Russian or Bulgarian parts.
Link Posted: 1/29/2010 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top