Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/18/2010 5:56:06 PM EDT
I just saw a pic of a AK with green bakelite furniture and WOW, I have to find a set. Any resources?
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just saw a pic of a AK with green bakelite furniture and WOW, I have to find a set. Any resources?

Its super rare.... supposedly given to elite border guards or something like that...AFAIK it was never produced on a large scale.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its super rare.... supposedly given to elite border guards or something like that...AFAIK it was never produced on a large scale.

After a little more research I have found that none of it ever left Russia. They were awards. If a US company started making these, I would buy at least two sets. I wonder how many others would buy one? It looks incredible

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It's the Holy Grail.

Send me a link to the photo, I lost mine.
I always reference it and want to show the picture.
It's in a museum case IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Get some black polymer furniture and do it up in that green with some light swirls in the paint to give it the bakelite effect.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Found it.
I'd pay American money for a set of this or just a mag.
Just beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:22:58 PM EDT
[#6]
me likey!

How about this
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:43:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I work hard for my money, but I could see me coming off of $300 for a set of that furniture and a mag. I'm pretty sure I would still feel like I got a good deal too....
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy Shit!  

That's hot!

But, I would not pay money for it as I now know it is an award.  I don't like buying awards.
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Want!
Link Posted: 1/18/2010 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Some more photos of the rifle:

Link Posted: 1/18/2010 11:34:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I work hard for my money, but I could see me coming off of $300 for a set of that furniture and a mag. I'm pretty sure I would still feel like I got a good deal too....

$300 might get you the PG.

I'd wager that if a set(with mag) came up for sale it would fetch close to $1500.

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 3:22:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$300 might get you the PG.

I'd wager that if a set(with mag) came up for sale it would fetch close to $1500.

I was referring to an earlier post and I meant I would pay $300 if a US company started making them. I think the original furniture and mags would go for well over $2000. I just don't think the bidding would stop before $2k, as rare as the original stuff is and as nice as it looks.

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#14]
whoa...that....is....awesome....
Link Posted: 1/19/2010 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a thread somewhere here, about how a guy made a bakelite style grip for his VZ-58 using particle board, red dye, and some varnish.  If you find the thread, you could probably do the same thing with green dye and come up with your own version of green bakelite.

I'm not sure what it's worth to you though.  But it does look awesome.

Link Posted: 1/19/2010 4:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Chime in here V  if you would honestly buy one or more sets and what features if any that you would like the stock sets to be offered with. Would you preorder a set if the price was right?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=70&t=184127&page=1
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I was under the impression that real Bakelite had asbestos in it so they stopped making it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2010 2:05:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is what a set of brown fiberglass handguards, buttstock, and pistol grip for an AR15 sold for(they are brown fiberglass painted green, the first 100 sets were unpainted), it is one of the original approx.10,000 sets that were made before they started using black plastic(I would think the green AK stuff would be quite rare compared to these)
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=123&t=476830

Link Posted: 1/21/2010 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Chime in here V  if you would honestly buy one or more sets and what features if any that you would like the stock sets to be offered with. Would you preorder a set if the price was right?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=70&t=184127&page=1

Anyone else?
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never seen a Bakelite buttstock before. Really an impressive looking set.
Link Posted: 1/21/2010 8:30:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was under the impression that real Bakelite had asbestos in it so they stopped making it?

The formula for Bakelite does not include asbestos nor do most products made from it.
Fillers and colorants are added for strength, appearance or additional heat resistance.
Micarta was originally manufactured with a phenolic resin of Dr. Leo Baekeland's invention and paper, linen or fiberglass as the filler.

The Russians used an asbestos filled Bakelite for the nose cones of their ICBM warheads and as an ablative heat shield on their spacecraft.
Asbestos, along with other mineral powders was used as a filler depending on the desired properties.
I do not know if asbestos is present in AK furniture but It may be.  
Bakelite is inherently non flammable without it.

Billiard balls, dominos, chess pieces and dice are all still commonly made from the Bakelite.
Along with pan handles, electrical insulators and all sorts of other things.
Raw Bakelite is often described as looking like amber.
If it's cast (Catalin) it can be clear or translucently colored as it usually contains no filler.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top