Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2010 6:56:57 PM EDT
I'm somewhat of an AK purist. All my AK's are "bone stock". I love 'em that way!!

However, i'm into the AR world too, and most of my training is around that system. Without a doubt, accessories and efficient tactics improve the AR platform tremendously. Most of my AR's have rails & lights or dot-sites, foregrips...  Which has improved my speed & ease of use with the AR.

So, excluding the tactics, what accessories improve the use of the AK system? We've all seen the pics of Russian FSB troops with AR type accessories on their AK's, and the Pol's do a good job tricking theirs out too. Which always makes me wonder why people get bent outta shape when they see a railed out AK with optics and flashlights.

Anyway, for the guys that aren't afraid of modernzing their AK, what has improved it's use?

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Ultimak rail.

Aimpint Micro.

VLTOR offset light mount.

Surefire G2/3.

Improved pistol grip.

That's it.

(ETA - Maybe a Kreb's safety)
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ultimak rail.

Aimpint Micro.

Surefire G2/3.

Improved pistol grip.

That's it.

Yep

Z
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Ditto on the above post.  I like the Kreb's safety with bolt hold-open, and Kreb's rear aperture sight.   Other comparable brands would be the now-discontinued Swift safely lever and Mojo rear sight (but not their MicroClick version).   Other sights worth checking out are the tritium 24/7 and big dot set, both by XS.   See what works for you.  Don't forget a good sling, like the Vicker's.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SLR105A1/SLR105KonusVltor_001.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SLR107UR/AKSU_SLR107URTanCamo.JPG

Quoted:
Ultimak rail.

Aimpint Micro.

Surefire G2/3.

Improved pistol grip.

That's it.

Yep

Z

WHERE'S YOUR IMPROVED PISTOL GRIP!?!?!?

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#5]
(snip)

Yep

Z[/quote]

I really need to get the Stormwerks installed on my Krink...

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:18:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Ask and ye shall receive

The shiny plum I have on the first pic is my ode to traditional

Actually I have a pair of stippled grips (or whatever you call them, basically sand glued to give a rough surface), I like the S12 grip but ended up prefering the traditional skinnier grip.

eta
Also went back to the cone shaped Krink brake because I felt the accuracy of the 4 piece was a little worse. The cone is louder but seems to give tighter groups.

Z
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ask and ye shall receive

Actually I have a pair of stippled grips (or whatever you call them, basically sand glued to give a rough surface), I like the S12 grip but ended up prefering the traditional skinnier grip.

eta
Also went back to the cone shaped Krink brake because I felt the accuracy of the 4 piece was a little worse. The cone is louder but seems to give tighter groups.

Z

That is a badass gun, loving it. reminds me of a ump but way cooler.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:40:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Admittedly those weapons do look cool, but in response to the OP I agree AKs should be stock. And no plastic (other than mags and grips) allowed!
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#9]
this.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ultimak rail.

Aimpint Micro.

Surefire G2/3.

Improved pistol grip.

That's it.

What he said.

Link Posted: 2/1/2010 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I hear good things about XS Big Dot tritium sights.
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]
BIG difference between "Tacti-cool" and "Tactical"..... Regardless of what rifle (AR or AK) if you have never been to any type of basic carbine school, taught by private instruction or military training- your just pretending.

As for the Ak - the most beneficial items to have are more ammo and a few more mags .... bone stock.

Save all the "tacti-cool" goodness for the AR's
Link Posted: 2/1/2010 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#13]
IMO a light and a red dot are the only practical items for a rifle.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 6:56:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Regardless of what rifle (AR or AK) if you have never been to any type of basic carbine school, taught by private instruction or military training- your just pretending

Riiiiggghhhtt,  No one can possibly learn anything by running the same drills seen on videos and read in books.  

One must literally be brushed by Costa's beard to have any skills worth mentioning.

All the people who attend monthly tactical matches and drill on their own time would simply fall over dead in the presence of someone wearing a "Magpul Dynamic's" t-shirt.

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 8:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm somewhat of an AK purist. All my AK's are "bone stock". I love 'em that way!!

However, i'm into the AR world too, and most of my training is around that system. Without a doubt, accessories and efficient tactics improve the AR platform tremendously. Most of my AR's have rails & lights or dot-sites, foregrips...  Which has improved my speed & ease of use with the AR.

So, excluding the tactics, what accessories improve the use of the AK system? We've all seen the pics of Russian FSB troops with AR type accessories on their AK's, and the Pol's do a good job tricking theirs out too. Which always makes me wonder why people get bent outta shape when they see a railed out AK with optics and flashlights.

Anyway, for the guys that aren't afraid of modernzing their AK, what has improved it's use?

Larue Iron dot, Hogue pistol grip, and maybe a Kreb's selector lever.

I see everything else as tapco fagotry and eXtreme tacticool horseshit.

Every time I see an AK with an M4 stock on it I half expect to see a pair of chrome plated truck nuts hanging off the front sight.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 9:41:58 AM EDT
[#17]
i would like the iron dot if larue comes back out with them.  a flashlight and sling... maybe a vfg if you like them.  This is if its for serious stuff.  my ak is a range gun for now so its wearing its birthday suit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Every time I see an AK with an M4 stock on it I half expect to see a pair of chrome plated truck nuts hanging off the front sight.

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 10:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BIG difference between "Tacti-cool" and "Tactical"..... Regardless of what rifle (AR or AK) if you have never been to any type of basic carbine school, taught by private instruction or military training- your just pretending.

As for the Ak - the most beneficial items to have are more ammo and a few more mags .... bone stock.

Ahhh...what?

This "Tacticool" hating is just plain stupid.  It's just like people saying that you don't need an AK or an AR.  Just get a Remington 700.  "Why would you need 30 rounds?"  "Why would you need semi-auto capabilities?"  This hating needs to stop.  It makes you guys look childish with just finding stuff/people to hate on.

Using this same logic, the performance upgrades that I put on my car must mean that I am pretending since I have not been to racing school.

And to say that keeping an AK bone stock is the best way is moronic.  Yeah, I understand the purist thing...and that's cool but to say it's at no disadvantage to a guy that has a sight on his AK is like sticking your head up your ass.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Works for me, nothing extra or unnecessary.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#21]
AKs really need a sight upgrade IMO. Once again that is just me, your mileage may vary. For me I need a peep close to my eye, and a red dot would be nice.

My personal ak74 will have a hogue grip, gen 2 tws rail, aimpoint ml3, caa lower handguard, and a stubby VG. Depending on your height a vltor buffer tube and 6 position stock setup would be nice too.

Some sort of left handed charging would be ideal as well, but the charging handle needs to fold or something so it doesn't stab into your chest.

I think an AK will the right accessories could be the ultimate fighting rifle, IMO they do need some stuff added to them. Stock they work great, but other systems offer advantages for sure.

Posted from my iPhone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/albums-mm118-magpuldynamics08-img-2182.jpg
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/albums-mm118-magpuldynamics08-img-2190.jpg

I have a lot of questions about this rifle lol. What s
left side charging setup is that, which buffer tube, where did the floor plates come from, ect ect. That is the most badass AK I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/albums-mm118-magpuldynamics08-img-2182.jpg
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/albums-mm118-magpuldynamics08-img-2190.jpg

I have a lot of questions about this rifle lol. What s
left side charging setup is that, which buffer tube, where did the floor plates come from, ect ect. That is the most badass AK I have ever seen.

It's Travis Haley's Magpul AK build. Details are in the link.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2008/12/22/mag-k-001-unqiue-magpul-ak-build/
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I have some of both...Plain jane, bone stock AR's and AK's, but I also have some "tactic-cooled" too!

My hunting AR is Chambered in 7.62X39 with a free floated quad rail, 4X16 tactical knob scope, bipod, flash light and 6 position stock. It flat thumps hogs with HP ammo.

My hunting AK is dressed nearly the same except I have a red dot scope on a dust cover rail, quad rail hand guard, A1 AR style FH, lazer and flash light. It is more for short range hog thumping. It has been very handy tracking wounded deer in thick brush.

IMO-there are just as many reason to soup up an AK as there is an AR...maybe more. The 7.62 round has a big advantage over the 5.56! I've head shot one hog with the 5.56 and had to walk up to pump a few more into them, but all (bunches, I can't count them all) the hogs with the 7.62X39 have been one shot one kill... OSOK includes 3 deer too!

Here is a recent hunt pic:

Here is a AK hunt...all the goodies are on the off side rail...bipod was off...notice the bolt open..did that my self...

And here is the AK standing proud:

Both have over molded grips now too...the AR does in the above pic...the AK is a more recent upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Ultimak rail.

Aimpint Micro.

Surefire G2/3.

Improved pistol grip.

That's it.

+1
Nailed it on the first post.
m4whore

Link Posted: 2/2/2010 12:57:24 PM EDT
[#26]
For me the only things I add are Hogue pistol grips, just because I like the way they feel and a IR laser for night time use with my NVG's.

Anything else is just added weight I am too old to carry anymore.  I will say I would like my charging handle to stand straight up so it would be ambidexerous.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#27]
For me the only things I add are Hogue pistol grips, just because I like the way they feel and a IR laser for night time use with my NVG's.

Anything else is just added weight I am too old to carry anymore.  I will say I would like my charging handle to stand straight up so it would be ambidexerous.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ahhh...what?

This "Tacticool" hating is just plain stupid.  It's just like people saying that you don't need an AK or an AR.  Just get a Remington 700.  "Why would you need 30 rounds?"  "Why would you need semi-auto capabilities?"  This hating needs to stop.  It makes you guys look childish with just finding stuff/people to hate on.

Using this same logic, the performance upgrades that I put on my car must mean that I am pretending since I have not been to racing school.

And to say that keeping an AK bone stock is the best way is moronic.  Yeah, I understand the purist thing...and that's cool but to say it's at no disadvantage to a guy that has a sight on his AK is like sticking your head up your ass.

+1 here

I agree, the derisive attitudes found on some of these threads seems so counterproductive.  There are many gun-lovers out there that are in training for WW III.  The rest of us are not.  We simply admire and respect firearms in their many splendid forms.

Parts-kit AK's carry little collectible value (unless there's a ban), so why not have one or two to play around with and customize to suit your specific needs or desires.

I'm not a starving Russian soldier fighting for the communist motherland.  I'm a 34 year old American homeowner that thinks guns are cool, and if a disaster happens to strike, it wouldn't hurt to have one or two that are equipped to make your emergency use of them conveinient and effective.
Link Posted: 2/2/2010 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ask and ye shall receive

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/AKS74U/AKSU_Izzy_Triangle.JPG

eta

Damn TX ZEN  I don't mean to swear, but that gun is bad ass!

Z

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 1:38:49 AM EDT
[#30]
What ever you feel you need to accomplish the task at hand...
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 5:13:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What "tactical" items are really practical for an AK?    

These

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:25:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What "tactical" items are really practical for an AK?    

Cases of FMJ ammunition and tens of Eastern bloc mags....

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:20:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Whatever help you put lead on your target faster and accurately.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top