Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/16/2010 12:12:48 PM EDT
Super Sweet MD Arms Molot Style Grip is HERE!

Just got one of the new MD Arms “Molot Style Grips.”

http://www.mdarms.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1732
“This grip is based off the factory Molot style grip used on the Molot Vepr 12 shotgun.  It is basically the same as the factory Izhmash grip but with added finger grooves.”

The grip comes in a little plastic baggie with a helpful reminder to not shoot oneself in the face during installation.  

Initial impressions are very good.  The plastic is extremely thick.  The mold line is thin, and there is no flash.  The grip actually has some weight to it.  

The grip itself is in two pieces … the main body and a cap.  Both pieces are clearly marked “USA” in the interior.

The grip mounted easily and securely.  It is both more robust, and eminently more comfortable than the original.

Also, it looks pretty fricken sweet.

In conclusion this grip represents a good buy for anyone needing a compliance part, or anyone looking to improve upon the AK's original suck nuts grip.

MD Arms “Molot Style Grip” Vs. AMD 65 Grip Vs. “Standard” AK Grip......

MD Arms “Molot Style Grip” Vs. Tapco “SAW” Grip.....

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Does it fit the AMD? Because it looks like it won't clear the stock lock.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Very cool, I ordered a couple of these on impulse the other day and am just waiting on them to get here.

Thanks for all the pics, they do look nice.

Z
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
What's up with the finger grooves?.. Is there a non-finger grooved version available?.. There should be..
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I like that grip.  How thick is it compared to the standard AK grip?  What is with the spacer between the grip and receiver?
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:50:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No.  This grip would be a no-go for an AMD.

Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Very cool, I ordered a couple of these on impulse the other day and am just waiting on them to get here.

Thanks for all the pics, they do look nice.

Z

Cool.  Please post pics when you get yours installed.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What's up with the finger grooves?.. Is there a non-finger grooved version available?.. There should be..

"Rumint" suggests a MD Arms will produce a non-finger grooved one as well.  For my hand, at least, the finger grooves line up well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like that grip.  How thick is it compared to the standard AK grip?  What is with the spacer between the grip and receiver?

A fair bit thicker... which really contributes to the improved feel over the original.

My weapon has a pistol grip plate welded to the receiver.  Seems more common with the Bulgarian weapons.... from what I see.  The grip would fit flush with most AK's.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Great pics.  Thanks for those last couple.  Would you say the angle is the same as the standard grip?  That is what I hated about the ERGO AK grip too slanty.  I like the more vertical style grip.  Love my Hogues but the "para-cord sling mount" won't work w/ the Hogue.  The Molot grip looks like it would fit the bill for my Draco.
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice grip and BTW what mag is thank on the Krinkov ?
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks interesting.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Great pics.  Thanks for those last couple.  Would you say the angle is the same as the standard grip?  That is what I hated about the ERGO AK grip too slanty.  I like the more vertical style grip.  Love my Hogues but the "para-cord sling mount" won't work w/ the Hogue.  The Molot grip looks like it would fit the bill for my Draco.

I think the Molot Style grip approximates the same angle as the standard grip.  There is however, more "back swell" if that makes any sense.....
Link Posted: 3/16/2010 5:30:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice grip and BTW what mag is thank on the Krinkov ?

Bulgarian clear 30 rounder, like this:

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/ak-4730roundbulgarianclearcolorpolymermagazine.aspx

Doesn't seem terrible robust, but works fine at the range....
Link Posted: 3/17/2010 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Update:  Took the Krink to the range today.  Not going to say the new grip worked miracles of improved controllability and accuracy or some wackiness.....  But the grip was more comfortable in the hand and the weapon felt good when firing.  Plus my range buddies thought it looked tits.

Link Posted: 3/18/2010 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I ordered 1.  Hopefully it wil be here before this weekend.  I actually like the idea that it uses the factory grip screw.  Makes tightening it in the field easier.
Link Posted: 3/18/2010 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well, I ordered 1.  Hopefully it wil be here before this weekend.  I actually like the idea that it uses the factory grip screw.  Makes tightening it in the field easier.

Cool.  Hope it works out for you.  Post pics when you get mounted

Link Posted: 3/20/2010 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not here  I post some pics once it finally arrives.
Link Posted: 3/20/2010 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I would have preferred it to be shorter from front to back. It looks funny hanging off the end of retaining plate on side folding Arsenal Aks. I will give it a try on my non folders but for my folder I am still waiting on the tango down/US Palm battle grip.
Link Posted: 3/23/2010 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got the email, my grip is shipping today.  So much for their claimed 24-48hr shipping time.

Link Posted: 3/25/2010 9:07:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Decided to try this grip out on a 74....

Looks good....

No pistol grip reinforcement plate on this one....

Looking forward to the TWS Gen 2 cover to replace the MI rail for my optic mounting needs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2010 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just got the email, my grip is shipping today.  So much for their claimed 24-48hr shipping time.

Hizzie, did you get yours yet?
Link Posted: 3/30/2010 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.  This grip would be a no-go for an AMD.

<a href="http://img195.imageshack.us/i/molotquestions1.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4343/molotquestions1.jpg</a>

Just a few cuts with a drum sander disk on a dremel will take care of it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2010 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I would have preferred it to be shorter from front to back. It looks funny hanging off the end of retaining plate on side folding Arsenal Aks. I will give it a try on my non folders but for my folder I am still waiting on the tango down/US Palm battle grip.
Yup. I would like it sans finger grooves too, just like the OEM Saiga grip.

Link Posted: 3/30/2010 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I got mine.  Put it on my Rommy G.  Pics:

SxS with the Hogue

Standard Grip Compared to Hogue

Molot Compared to Standard AK Grip

It is a very well made grip.  Minimal mold marks and flashing.  It feels very solid.  I consider the Hogue to be the "feel" standard to which all others will be judged.  The way that the Molot tapers toward the top forces the hand up and into position.  The best way to describe the feel is like the first time you got it on with a really freaky chic and she tossed your salad.  It didn't feel right but you liked it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I am starting to like this grip a lot. At first I did not care for it on my Arsenal with the foldiing stock due to the gap caused by the reinforcing plate  under the grip. Although the gap was small I could still feel the web area between my thumb and first finger  getting caught in it at times. I recently filled the gap  with  black RTV silicone  and it now works great.  I was waiting to try the US Palm Battlegrip but now there is no need for that. I have tried the regular stock grip, Arsenal SAW grip, Tapco SAW grip but like this one the best.
Link Posted: 4/24/2010 12:11:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got mine.  Put it on my Rommy G.  Pics:

Standard Grip Compared to Hogue
http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Draco/RSCN1393.jpg

It is a very well made grip.  Minimal mold marks and flashing.  It feels very solid.  I consider the Hogue to be the "feel" standard to which all others will be judged.  The way that the Molot tapers toward the top forces the hand up and into position.  The best way to describe the feel is like the first time you got it on with a really freaky chic and she tossed your salad. It didn't feel right but you liked it anyway.

You Sir, are much like a poet.

Link Posted: 4/24/2010 6:00:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone compare these to the Hogue grip? I wanted the Hogue but haven't found one in stock yet. I like the feel of the Hogue grips I have on my 1911, these seem like they would be a much harder plastic type feel.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top