Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2010 5:59:48 PM EDT
Whats the best combat sling for an Ak47? Thinking about a Spectra 3 point. How good of a sling to Spectra make when compared to Eagle Industries? What are the pros and cons of 2 point vs 3 point sling?

Should I get the specter with the Emergency Release buckle?

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-r2-cs-bdaaed.html
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 8:28:27 PM EDT
[#1]
3 pt slings are cumbersome and overly complicated IMO

I would recommend Boonie-packer> Cheap, well made, fee shipping

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=26
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, stay away from 3-points, they are too much webbing for nothing.  That's all I have as I have a stock sling on my 47.  Use a Magpul MS-2 on my Krink, AR and Draco.

You can go this route if you do the para-cord pistol grip mod, then you can go combat with a single or 2 point configuration with the MS-2 or other slings like it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 7:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got an Israeli sling on my AK. Easy to install, nice wide webbing, and simple.

These guys have them for a decent price.http://www.israeli-weapons.com/store/rifle_slings/rifle_slings.htm

I've got one on the Uzi also (and it's a cleaner pic than the AK.)

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Stick with a simple Russian sling, they work and that's what is needed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Best sling ever.

Gear Sector 2pt

Not my rifle, but a fellow arfcommers. Gear Sector 2pt

My Gear sector 2pt

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 11:48:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Stick with a simple Russian sling, they work and that's what is needed.
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u199/photobug4741/SGL-20WithRussianNavySlingfromSovie.jpg

+1 on the standard AK sling.  They work great and can be had for around $25.00.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I usually like the standard slings, but I recently ordered a SPOSN RT-3 sling in OD.  Have not got it yet though so I can not comment on it.

http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_67&products_id=287

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
How does a 2 point compare to a 3 point? I like the ability to let my rifle hang when not in a firing position.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How does a 2 point compare to a 3 point? I like the ability to let my rifle hang when not in a firing position.

3 point is great for that, but they have a lot going on and in my experience all the extra webbing can get in the way.

I'm a fan of a 1 point sling that is mounted towards the rear of the gun... as far back as possible.  Very simple, and works just as well as a 3 point for hanging and firing, but doesn't get in the way.

I think two point slings are worthless as combat slings.  In order to work in a worthwhile way they have to be so loose that they make the rifle hang way too low.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 3:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want it to "hang"when not in use.... get a 2 point

2 point sling - most allow the weapon to safely hang (muzzle down) when not in use. Also keep the stock up high
on the chest so that re-shouldering is faster....

3 point sling - most only allow the weapon to hang horizontal when not in use - safety concern since the muzzle can/does
cover things you may not want to shoot...

3 point slings... lots of straps..straps get hung up on gear/ mag holders etc...overly complicated

Watch the video and check out how the sling is used
AK shooting
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Watch the video and check out how the sling is used
AK shooting

That video shows why I dislike 2 point slings

They only really work in a combat situation if you only hang it over your neck.  This becomes very tiresome and uncomfortable over time.

I prefer slings to go over my shoulder and around my back.  Much more comfortable for long term use.  For a two point to work like this, it has to be very loose which makes it leave the rifle hanging very low when it is hanging from the sling (like during a sidearm transition).

I like one point slings because they go around my back, allow the weapon to hang high, and if you get one that has a bit on bungee cord to it, you can make it hang very close to your body and still be able to shoulder it.

I'm basing my sling preference on being an infantryman in the Army for 5 years(patrolling for hours at a time, roadmarching, moving across the drop zone, etc).  So someone who just wants a sling for simple range use or short matches will have difference needs and preferences.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 4:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah that video is not the best but f you watch the video again you will the Vickers does go around the back.

Choosing a sling is alot lot choosing optics. It's a personal choice based on the needs of the individual shooter.
A good sling is a tool for the shooter.
I've tried the one points and they just do not do anything for me and 3 points on a carbine are just..too much.

What ever parameters you base you decision on - do not base that decision for a sling just based on comfort alone.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 5:56:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I usually like the standard slings, but I recently ordered a SPOSN RT-3 sling in OD.  Have not got it yet though so I can not comment on it.

http://www.soviet-propaganda.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_67&products_id=287

Please do a show and tell when you get it. I book marked that link for sure.
Link Posted: 4/5/2010 6:30:27 AM EDT
[#14]
This is why I prefer the Magpul MS-2 sling.  You get the best of both worlds of 1 and 2 point configuration.

As and LEO most of the time the rifle gets deployed, then the situation ends up being a stand off or you're just watching the perimeter to keep people out of the scene, for long periods.

When it is go time and I grab my rifle it is in the 2point configuration and easy to get on as I run from the car to cover.  when I get settled I can quickly change to the 1-point and be ready.  Once things are done and I'm standing there basically still having the rifle cause I can't go to my car to put it up it gets heavy.  So, I change back to the 2 point and the weight is distributed much better.  Yes, this is for comfort.  If things start getting bad I can change back to 1 point or simply drop my left elbow through the sling and be able to shoulder the weapon.  Slinging the rifle to the rear is also easier in the 2 point as opposed to the 1 point when it comes time to need both hands.

There are other slings out there like the MS-2 that change from 1 to 2 point configuration, so pick the brand you like, but get the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
3 pt slings are cumbersome and overly complicated IMO

I would recommend Boonie-packer> Cheap, well made, fee shipping

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=26

Does that attach at the front (on an AK) with a hook...or other method?  I just can't tell from the picture at the link...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top