Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/6/2010 3:28:10 AM EDT
It was a select-fire North Korean milled AK-47 with an underfolding bayonet... The image of that beautiful rifle has been haunting me all week...

Transferable for $20,000.

Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:29:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Unusual.... I've seen Chinese and Soviet Ak's but never a North Korean... any pics?
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 7:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Unusual.... I've seen Chinese and Soviet Ak's but never a North Korean... any pics?

Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me... But it looked almost exactly like a Chinese Type 56. I'm guessing that it was a Vietnam bringback.

Very close to this...
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 8:39:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I always thought the NK AK-47's were Soviet pattern, not Chinese pattern.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#4]
The early milled Chinese Type 56 and milled North Korean Type 58 rifles were modeled on the milled Russian AK pattern.  For the most part, you can go off the Polytech and Norinco milled rifles commercially imported into the US as a decent pattern for a military milled Type 56 rifle.  However, they were assembled quite some time after the milled Type 56 production ended and the Chinese used some time-saving, more efficient means to produce the imported ones they resold - press and pin barrel assemblies, two-rivet style trigger guards, etc.  Mainly some minor aesthetically obvious stuff.  But the military ones of old were essentially just like the Russian ones with very subtle manufacturing/aesthetic differences - such as the very slight change in shape of the hole on the side of the front sight base, etc.    

Probably what you saw was a bringback milled Chinese Type 56 with the underfolding spike bayonet.  I don't believe the North Koreans fielded any Type 58 rifles in that style.  However, that's not to say a Vietcong armory at the time or even an individual later couldn't have put one on it.

Were the selector markings Chinese or Korean?
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The early milled Chinese Type 56 and milled North Korean Type 58 rifles were modeled on the milled Russian AK pattern.  For the most part, you can go off the Polytech and Norinco milled rifles commercially imported into the US as a decent pattern for a military milled Type 56 rifle.  However, they were assembled quite some time after the milled Type 56 production ended and the Chinese used some time-saving, more efficient means to produce the imported ones they resold - press and pin barrel assemblies, two-rivet style trigger guards, etc.  Mainly some minor aesthetically obvious stuff.  But the military ones of old were essentially just like the Russian ones with very subtle manufacturing/aesthetic differences - such as the very slight change in shape of the hole on the side of the front sight base, etc.    

Probably what you saw was a bringback milled Chinese Type 56 with the underfolding spike bayonet.  I don't believe the North Koreans fielded any Type 58 rifles in that style.  However, that's not to say a Vietcong armory at the time or even an individual later couldn't have put one on it.

Were the selector markings Chinese or Korean?

I wasn't close enough to see the markings...
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Then I'd say what you saw was probably a Chinese rifle.  The Chinese "bringbacks" were milled receiver rifles and mostly the underfolding spike bayonet type.
Link Posted: 5/6/2010 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Who had it it? Was it Dennis A. Todd?
Link Posted: 5/7/2010 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Who had it it? Was it Dennis A. Todd?

It might have been.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top