Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/25/2010 5:14:19 AM EDT
Hi there,
I'm getting an Ak74 soon.  I'm new to AK systems and have been researching rail options. My search on this site hasn't revealed a lot.  I know Ultimak makes them.  Who else makes a good quad rail?  I seem to remember that Knights did but can't find anything.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 9:17:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a fan of the generally front heavy quad rails, I prefer a simple Ultimak and an Aimpoint mainly because I don't use a VFG (I use a magwell hold instead). Since the Ultimak can mount a light in an offset mount thats what I ended up going with, but a while ago I used the LHV47 polymer lower railed HG and it works great.

For me this is about the most practical setup:
(SGL31 Ultimak and G2 in an offset Vltor scout mount)

But as I mentioned I really like the LHV47 lower. It's light weight and doesn't have a million acres of useless rails)

I think the LHV and an Ultimak together would be a great combo if I wasn't already satisfied with just the Ultimak

Z
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 2:52:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks bro! This looks good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2010 9:01:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of the generally front heavy quad rails, I prefer a simple Ultimak and an Aimpoint mainly because I don't use a VFG (I use a magwell hold instead). Since the Ultimak can mount a light in an offset mount thats what I ended up going with, but a while ago I used the LHV47 polymer lower railed HG and it works great.

For me this is about the most practical setup:
(SGL31 Ultimak and G2 in an offset Vltor scout mount)

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/SGL3161-Ultimak-H1-VltorLeft.JPG

But as I mentioned I really like the LHV47 lower. It's light weight and doesn't have a million acres of useless rails)

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/LHV47-CLOSE.JPG

I think the LHV and an Ultimak together would be a great combo if I wasn't already satisfied with just the Ultimak

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Tactical/SLR105-LHV47_UltimakLeft.JPG

Z

TX

Did you have to modify your LHV47 to fit the ultimak?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#5]
My LHV47 needed some minor adjustment with a dremel tool for proper fit.  Very easy.  Just need to clear out some space for the mount bolts on the Ultimak.
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Like Scott says its pretty easy and you really are just giving room for the mounting bolts. On mine I cut the LHV to be lower than usual starting just behind the two side rails all the way back to the rear sight block.

These pics might show the difference

Before:

After:

Z
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 8:17:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

How hot does the top rail get with that rig?  Is overheating your optic a concern?
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Ultimak's get pretty hot but this is a well debated subject, so far I haven't heard of anything frying except Eotech's, I haven't even heard about budget MRD's like Primary Arms getting damaged. Not to say it couldn't happen but an Aimpoint is probably least likely to fail, in any case I'm ok with it based on all I've read.

Z
Link Posted: 12/26/2010 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks - I'm just starting to look at AKs, and have a lot to catch up on!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top