Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/30/2011 2:06:03 PM EDT
Picked up my AKS-74 today. When I took it out of the package all I could think was "Wow!", it is really a nicely built 74. The fit is very nice, no gap between the safety selector and the dust cover, bolt cycles smoothly, folding stock folds well (although the retainer hook does not like to engage, but I think that is from it not being worked much). The finish is a Durakote or Gunkote type of finish and is a nice semi gloss and looks very nice. The surplus Bulgarian parts look like they have never seen service. Sights are dead on perfectly installed. It came with a Bulgarian drop case and bayonette, some stripper clips and loading guide, a 74 cleaning kit, an oil bottle (plastic variety and in pretty much destroyed condition), a leather sling (was hoping for a nice web sling, but oh well), and a 30 round magazine. The magazine is an Izmash marked Russian mag so that is a nice plus! The only negative I can find is that the stock makes contact (very, very slightly) with the lower corner of the scope rail and it somewhat rubs the finish. I am being nit picky on that one though, it is a very nicely built AKS-74, especially when the cost is compared to others on the market. I'll try to get some pics up when I can borrow a camera as mine is not wanting to work.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
PICTURES! NO EXCUSES!
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 3:11:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't get the scope rail but mine also came with that damn leather sling witch was useless. I bought an aresnal sling from midway. I would recommend this over the arsenal sgl31-84 any day, plus you save a little too. I did a wrap on the stock

Link Posted: 3/30/2011 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice looking rifle! I prefer the 100 series stock Not the same rifle but a Bulgarian (SLR105)
http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/USN-Riverine/DSC00531.jpg
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll get some pics up tomorrow night, I promise!

I would put this build up against any Arsenal SGL-31, it is that nice. Ya, it doesn't have the Russian receiver, but it is also quite a bit less expensive too. The parts look like they came straight from the factory and not from a storage facility. If it shoots half as good as it looks I will be very pleased. I plan to do something with the stock - either wrapping it or maybe a little something else. Also plan to put some wood handgrips on it and a bakelite type pistol grip. Wanting to give it that early to mid '80s Russian look.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
whats the cost on these
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Shiny plum pistol grip would be a correct look for early-mid 80's. I used U.S. followers, floor plate, fcg, and K-Var pistol grip to make sure it was 922 complaint..
I was going for a late 70's look with the laminate pistol grip.
Vhttp://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/USN-Riverine/DSC00458.jpg
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
whats the cost on these

between 849 and 950. marcolmar.com then at project guns.
you get a choice of optics rail and single or double rivet.
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Which optic rail is installed on these? Anyway to get good a pic of that?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2011 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#9]
BEAUTIFUL!
Quoted:
Shiny plum pistol grip would be a correct look for early-mid 80's. I used U.S. followers, floor plate, fcg, and K-Var pistol grip to make sure it was 922 complaint..
I was going for a late 70's look with the laminate pistol grip.
Vhttp://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z336/USN-Riverine/DSC00458.jpg

Link Posted: 3/31/2011 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one a fellow member here built basically the exact same from a bulgy kit and a nodak spud. from the research I've done I believe the bulgarians just put whatever they had available on them. they got a lot of furniture in trade with russia and just put anything they had on them or the pink ones they made in bulgaria. they even put black grips with wood or purple. the russians were much more organized as far as furniture. the russians and bulgarians traded everything though, even whole kits ans russia gave bulgaria machines to make ak's.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome! I picked mine up form the gunshop today. I like that it came with a bunch of stuff, don't care for the leather sling though.

Can't wait to test it out.

Here's mine with my other '74.

Anyway, what's the part count on these? I think the US parts are the piston, FCG(3), receiver, handguards and grip. That would make 7 total. I'm thinking about putting the orignal handguards on it cause I kinda like them better.
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also plan to put some wood handgrips on it and a bakelite type pistol grip.

Wanting to give it that early to mid '80s Russian look.

That's my favorite era too, nothing beats the laminate IMO.

I do enjoy plum though and have an 88 Izzy kit that someday I'll build into a mid-late eighties rifle.

SLR105

And perpetrating as a mid-late Izzy                    

Z
Link Posted: 3/31/2011 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to say you all have great taste. I just put my plum furniture set on today
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top