Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2011 2:36:00 AM EDT
Can someone please let me know a good place to buy wood furniture for Arsenal ak's. I plan on buying one real soon but want to replace the plastic with some Russian red wood. And from what I understand these have to be US made and for a stamped gun? Also if you have pics of any of your guns in Russian red can you please post them? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 3:02:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is my Arsenal with Innovation arms deep mahogany in Bulgarian set that did include buttstock and a plastic pistol grip and front handguards for $85 plus shipping . Other stain colors avalable as well ! They can do the Ironwood US stockset for 185 ish  if you need US parts!  I needed   a longer stock  with folder so I took the Warsaw  length off  .

The flash always makes reds look 10 times brighter  the true color is closer to the first close up pic of the handguard!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 6:37:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I don't care for the Russian Red on the US market, but if you go with IronWood furniture there is a guy named Z_Recto that does a really close approximation of soviet laminate. He's redone a few of my Dragunov sets in the past and the work has been top notch.
Also Ironwood furniture is good stuff and the owner Matt is a pleasure to deal with.

If you really want authentic laminate it's possible to use it on the SGL and still have your required 6 parts. Originally I did it on both of mine by using US made floorplates and followers to get back to a total of 6 US parts (brake and FCG make up the first 4). Later I swapped the piston when I changed out the US brakes for real 74M Russian ones.

Think about the laminate and decide if it thats what you really want...if it is you should probably go Soviet from the get-go. I've had different variations of US stuff over the years and while they are what they are (some very high quality) in the end nothing has ever duplicated real soviet laminate. You might find you've spent almost as much on US stuff only to realize you could have gotten a nice set of authentic laminate. It's all subjective opinion of course and there is 922r to abide by which will end up costing you around 7 bucks a mag if you go that route, but it can be done and IMO there is no real substitute for a good set of authentic laminate.

Before side folder conversion

Z
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 8:42:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Those are some great looking rifles guys and some very good info posted. Thanks. Im learning a lot everyday on here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Zen, where did you get your wood set from?
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I get my Russian furniture from overseas. Both milled and stamped
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is a Z-Recto Russian Red done of Krink Handguards

The 74 and the UF both has Russian Laminate Surplus wood. Z-Rectos Krink Handguards are well done and looks very close

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can someone please let me know a good place to buy wood furniture for Arsenal ak's. I plan on buying one real soon but want to replace the plastic with some Russian red wood. And from what I understand these have to be US made and for a stamped gun? Also if you have pics of any of your guns in Russian red can you please post them? Thanks

I too had to put some authentic Russian laminate on my SGL-31 and SGL-21.
It can be purchased on Gun Broker and ocasionally oversear from RU Military.

Link Posted: 8/30/2011 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I can vouch for z_rectos work as well.  He does a great job.  I have a stockset I had him refinish and it is a perfect match to real Russian sets I have.  If you don't wanna have to mess with 922r compliance, the ironwood stock set and z_recto are a great way to get that real Russian look.
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I too had to put some authentic Russian laminate on my SGL-31 and SGL-21.
It can be purchased on Gun Broker and ocasionally oversear from RU Military.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa246/destateklu/Ruskies.jpg

Man ive been looking for a 74 Buttstock like the one on the top for so long.....
Link Posted: 8/30/2011 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Personally I don't care for the Russian Red on the US market, but if you go with IronWood furniture there is a guy named Z_Recto that does a really close approximation of soviet laminate. He's redone a few of my Dragunov sets in the past and the work has been top notch.
Also Ironwood furniture is good stuff and the owner Matt is a pleasure to deal with.

If you really want authentic laminate it's possible to use it on the SGL and still have your required 6 parts. Originally I did it on both of mine by using US made floorplates and followers to get back to a total of 6 US parts (brake and FCG make up the first 4). Later I swapped the piston when I changed out the US brakes for real 74M Russian ones.

Think about the laminate and decide if it thats what you really want...if it is you should probably go Soviet from the get-go. I've had different variations of US stuff over the years and while they are what they are (some very high quality) in the end nothing has ever duplicated real soviet laminate. You might find you've spent almost as much on US stuff only to realize you could have gotten a nice set of authentic laminate. It's all subjective opinion of course and there is 922r to abide by which will end up costing you around 7 bucks a mag if you go that route, but it can be done and IMO there is no real substitute for a good set of authentic laminate.

Before side folder conversion
http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/SGL31/SGL31-44Lam_ShortCollarRibbedRight.JPG

Z

Nice furniture.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 2:33:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Ironwood Designs  was great place to learn about my options and I bought from them.
Very happy with product and the results:

here you are.... some close up pix  of  my furniture upgrade
the OEM  had some pretty rough laminate wood

Ironwood Designs  Walnut  stock  &  upper/lower grips,  Hogue pistol grip.
Minwax RedOak stain,  7 coats  Tru-Oil
Then lightly buff with 0000 steel wool to a satin finish.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 2:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow these are some beautiful rifles here. Cant wait to get mine. Thanks for posting these pics.
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Nice furniture.

It is yes, but obviously not correct for the SGL. At the time it was the only fixed stock rifle I had but it's been since converted to folder as well.

When it comes to being correct, this is another big reason I love the SLR105 (don't mind the sling I have a thing for the two buckle tan version and use them on everything)

But I still adore the 74M modern poly, just in a different way

Z
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 9:48:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you still have the 74 stock you had on it before the conversion?
Link Posted: 8/31/2011 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't know what type of wood it is but I like it  I asked around and the somewhat general consensus is that it is walnut????  It is on an Arsenal SLR-95...don't know who imported it but it was made in the Arsenal factory in Bulgaria.  It confused the hell out of me for awhile know that Arsenal in Las Vegas just decided to rock the exact same logo.

Link Posted: 8/31/2011 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Do you still have the 74 stock you had on it before the conversion?

No unfortunately I sold the whole set in the EE months ago, sorry

Z
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top