Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2011 10:21:59 AM EDT
I'm trying to keep my SGL31 as authentic as possible and was wondering what optics the Russians are currently (as we speak) using on their AK-74M rifles in the field?

I think I've narrowed it down to two optics:

PO 3.5x21
PK-AS

Are these optics the real deal? Are they still being issued to Russian military units? Any plans to phase them out?
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 10:32:55 AM EDT
[#1]
1P78 Kashtan and 1P29 are the two for sure issue optics though they don't seem to be fielded as much as we do ACOG's for example.  

PO 3.5 is in use by individual units and soldiers and has apparently seen combat but is not an Army issue optic according to what I know. As Citadel-SC pointed out in the optics picture thread it looks like Venezuela has adopted the PO 3.5x21P, to some extent at least. They would be the only official country I know of to adopt it but they may also just be using it in limited numbers like the Russians.

My understanding was the PK-AS was not an issued optic either but I haven't been able to find any hard facts one way or the other. I know they have been used in combat but again to what extent is hard for me to say.

If you want 5.45 calibrated optics check out this thread where I reviewed the 4 known 5.45x39 magnified optics. I'm still working on the red dots write up but I posted some thoughts here as well.

I have both PO 3.5x21P and the PK-AS and recommend them both. There are other optics like Rakurs and Obzor that are improvements over the PK-AS and 1P78 is overall a handier and lighter optic than the PO 3.5 but again I've used them all and would recommend any of them.

eta for clarity

Z
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#2]
good write up
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1P78 Kashtan and 1P29 are the two for sure issue optics though they don't seem to be fielded as much as we do ACOG's for example.  

PO 3.5 is in use by individual units and soldiers and has apparently seen combat but is not an Army issue optic according to what I know. As Citadel-SC pointed out in the optics picture thread it looks like Venezuela has adopted the PO 3.5x21P, to some extent at least. They would be the only official country I know of to adopt it but they may also just be using it in limited numbers like the Russians.

My understanding was the PK-AS was not an issued optic either but I haven't been able to find any hard facts one way or the other. I know they have been used in combat but again to what extent is hard for me to say.

If you want 5.45 calibrated optics check out this thread where I reviewed the 4 known magnified optics. I'm still working on the red dots write up but I posted some thoughts here as well.

I have both PO 3.5x21P and the PK-AS and recommend them both. There are other optics like Rakurs and Obzor that are improvements over the PK-AS and 1P78 is overall a handier and lighter optic than the PO 3.5 but again I've used them all and would recommend any of them.

Z

Thanks TX-Zen - appreciate the info.

I really dig the PO 3.5x21, but if the 1P78 is an actual Russian issue optic, then I'm thinking I might lean in that direction instead.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
PO 3.5x21P is a fantastic optic btw, just a little on the heavy side. FOV is amazing and I've said before IMO the optical quality is the highest I've seen in any combloc optic so far (with the Zeiss still undecided for me at the moment).

If you want pure authentic then Kashtan is probably the best overall choice, not only is it in service but it's also probably the best all around magnified combloc optic in terms of weight, FOV and the tritium illumination. Definitely more expensive than the POSP series but it is calibrated in 5.45, sits center over the bore and is a really simple point and shoot optic.

Z
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 7:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PO 3.5x21P is a fantastic optic btw, just a little on the heavy side. FOV is amazing and I've said before IMO the optical quality is the highest I've seen in any combloc optic so far (with the Zeiss still undecided for me at the moment).

If you want pure authentic then Kashtan is probably the best overall choice, not only is it in service but it's also probably the best all around magnified combloc optic in terms of weight, FOV and the tritium illumination. Definitely more expensive than the POSP series but it is calibrated in 5.45, sits center over the bore and is a really simple point and shoot optic.

Z

TX-Zen,

You seem to be the man on Combloc optics:

If you had to choose one (all my budget will allow for now) to enhance the performance, cool factor, and authenticity of a Tula Krink (waiting on my Form 1), what would it be? I don't even know if I'd want magnified or not, I'm open to suggestions. Also, as I'm still waiting on the Fed, I'm not scared of a long wait so if there's one thats hard to locate, that wouldn't necessarily be a turn off.

ETA: would definitely give cool points to something with tritium or a fiber optic... I don't like having to stock batteries. However, if the optic is good enough, I would consider something on DC power.

ETA2: would consider Aimpoint T1/H1 if you would recommend that, but specify mount...

Link Posted: 9/7/2011 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The only truly authentic optic I know of used on the AKSUN is the NSPU /1PN34-1PN58 (and NSP3 probably) but my understanding is that side rail AKSUN's weren't that common and were only used for special purpose reasons, not general issue.

Because of the AKSU's rear sight on the top cover not everything out there actually fits either. Kobra, PK-AS, 1P78 and 1P76 do, but PK-A, PK01-VS and the RS Regulate mount don't because they all run into the sight.

Tritium leaves you with 1P63 Obzor, 1P76 Rakurs or the 2.8x 1P78 Kashtan. I'd think they'd all be effective, even the Kashtan. I've used my PO 3.5x21P on the AKSU and again while I probably wouldn't take it into combat it does work if you don't mind the extra weight. The interesting thing is that with a Stormwerkz rail and aimpoint you can cowitness with the PO 3.5x21P. I don't care for cowitness but I discovered the system works by accident, so I'll put that out there for whatever it's worth.

For pure lightness it's hard to beat the T-1 or H-1 on the Stormwerkz rail, though I don't know if I'd drill an 86 Tula for that. (actually my shooting comrades and I go round and round on that all the time, no one has the heart to drill such a rare kit). Since a siderail is more correct and just as functional I'd probably go with Rakurs or Obzor for the AKSU but lately I've been using the Kobra again like I used to on mine.

1P78 Kashtan 2.8x

1P76 Rakurs

PK-AS

Obzor

Aimpoint and PO 3.5x21P

eta: You could also go with something really light like the Molot side rail mount or possibly KV04 and add an Aimpoint Micro that way. Rails like BP02 will also work but they are on the heavy side. RS Regulate also has the Aimpoint Micro mount in the works for the T-1 style optic, his 30mm mount on the market is very light and so should the T-1 mount.

Z
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Kalinka Optics offers an Aimpoint mount that is the best I've seen so far and it co-witnesses with the iron sights.

http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/pk-01v-aimpoint-to-ak-saiga-vepr-centered-side-mount-w-heavy-duty-30-mm-ring-special-limited-edition-v-3-1-609.html
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top