Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/24/2011 1:06:50 PM EDT
Possibly a shocking concept considering how much I like optics, but I bought my first AK without a side rail.

I have to confess that I've had a secret desire for an underfolder for several years...but because 74 under folders don't really grow on trees I hadn't made a move on one, and am not really interested in owning a 7.62 under folder though I do shoot a friends on a regular basis (and like it quite a bit actually).

Nictra built this one recently for a tactical rifle but I don't think it was exactly what he was after when all was said and done. Somehow we got to talking about it and I admitted I had a hankering for a UF, one thing led to another and we worked a deal to send it on down to me. I have to say after fitting the laminate and getting the bakelite mag in, I think I instantly fell in love - side rail or no side rail. It's a nicely built rifle and I have to compliment Nictra on the quality of the finish he put on it...looks great. He did a great job and I'm really impressed with it. For me the cosmo stained beat up old laminate HG's are the cherry on top, but the whole package works for me. I can't seem to find my other mustard double buckle sling and I may replace the plum PG with a bakelite one but I can't find that either.

And while mostly what I talk about is Russian optics, truth is I love AK irons and shoot them all the time, so I hope to be able to live without an optic on this one...my first AK without a side rail

A couple cousins

Thanks for a great deal Nictra, this is actually much better than expected. Nice work

Z
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Possibly a shocking concept considering how much I like optics, but I bought my first AK without a side rail.

I have to confess that I've had a secret desire for an underfolder for several years...but because 74 under folders don't really grow on trees I hadn't made a move on one, and am not really interested in owning a 7.62 under folder though I do shoot a friends on a regular basis (and like it quite a bit actually).

Nictra built this one recently for a tactical rifle but I don't think it was exactly what he was after when all was said and done. Somehow we got to talking about it and I admitted I had a hankering for a UF, one thing led to another and we worked a deal to send it on down to me. I have to say after fitting the laminate and getting the bakelite mag in, I think I instantly fell in love - side rail or no side rail. It's a nicely built rifle and I have to compliment Nictra on the quality of the finish he put on it...looks great. He did a great job and I'm really impressed with it. For me the cosmo stained beat up old laminate HG's are the cherry on top, but the whole package works for me. I can't seem to find my other mustard double buckle sling and I may replace the plum PG with a bakelite one but I can't find that either.

And while mostly what I talk about is Russian optics, truth is I love AK irons and shoot them all the time, so I hope to be able to live without an optic on this one...my first AK without a side rail

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/74UF/74UF_LeftLamAmmo.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/74UF/74UF_LeftLam02.JPG

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/74UF/74UF_Left_Fold.JPG

A couple cousins

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/74UF/74UF_Left_SLR105_AKSU.JPG
Thanks for a great deal Nictra, this is actually much better than expected. Nice work

Z
................It's...............Beautiful!

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#2]
It looks great but I'm way to much of a purist to own one.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Actually the prototypes I believe were Underfolders.

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a tad more on the collector side myself but I mainly wanted a beater with an UF and wasn't too concerned about correctness with this one. I've thought about going the SAR-2 route for an early 74, also thought about that for a UF proto but in the end it's a little more work than what I was after...in this case it's  really just the stock.

Z
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#5]
TX-Zen, awesome rifle!  I really like the looks of the '74 UF, and it looks like Nictra did an excellent job building that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice indeed!  Love that laminate.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice indeed!  Love that laminate.  

+1

Link Posted: 12/24/2011 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Actually, the Soviets made an underfolder 74 for their infantry in the 80's.  I don't know how widely fielded it was, but they definitely made 'em.  It had wood furniture up front and a hooded front site, too.

Nice rifle TX!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Now thats a beauty right there,very,very nice collection.Thanks for sharing the pics
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow there is something about that....looks awesome
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 4:56:28 PM EDT
[#11]
It hurt letting her go, but I will build another someday soon! She looks great man!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It hurt letting her go, but I will build another someday soon! She looks great man!

That you will my friend that you will.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn! The world is going to end in 2012, Zen bought a non traditional 74! Nice build Nictra.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:14:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Let me just add that to my list of reasons to be jealous of you...ok done....thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:30:09 AM EDT
[#15]
let me follow up by saying she looks better in your hands than she ever did in mine...
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#16]
awesome rifle
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, the Soviets made an underfolder 74 for their infantry in the 80's.  I don't know how widely fielded it was, but they definitely made 'em.  It had wood furniture up front and a hooded front site, too.

Nice rifle TX!

You got pictures of it? I've seen a lot of proto-type stuff that shouldn't have existed. Like the early Tula AKSU's with scope rails- that always becomes a religious discussion of sorts.

OP, you should add at least one AIMS 74 to your collection. I have two, had three- but sold the one because I didn't have enough proper Romanian 74 bayonets to go around.

Link Posted: 12/25/2011 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is a 74 underfolder.  The picture is dated 1988, but the rifle would have likely been a pre-1985 model given the wood furniture up front.  The "computer pattern" uniform on the guy hints that this rifle would have been issued to Airborne, Spetsnaz or KGB Border Guard soldiers.

Also of interest (to me) on this 74 is the vented gas tube and hooded front sight.  

It's not all that surprising that a AK-74 variant might pop-up that isn't widely known.  According to Tantal, "The Russian AK-74 rifle has been the subject of a continuous improvement program beginning with the first hyper-prototypes assembled in the late 1960's and eventual true prototypes of the early 1970's. It appears that every few years, some major design and manufacturing improvements were made on the production lines, and although some were simply individual modifications, others were adopted as a package of changes for a specific Product Improvement Program (PIP). Rifles made between these large scale upgrades can be identified as specific subtypes. Some of these subtypes are undocumented, and some are quite well known today. Sadly, few detailed and accurate literary works exist elaborating on these changes in either Western or Russian reference works. In other words, much of what occurred seems to be lost to the winds of time."  
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:11:06 PM EDT
[#19]
is that wood or bakelite? Mag looks like a painted metal mag too. Interesting to say the least, and it's using an early pattern stock too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 8:37:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
is that wood or bakelite? Mag looks like a painted metal mag too. Interesting to say the least, and it's using an early pattern stock too.

It's wood up front, and the magazine appears to be bakelite.  Although, you might be correct...it could be a painted magazine.  The receiver top cover, selector lever and certain other details are correct for the period.  The hooded front sight post is an improvement imho.  It might be a matter of individual preference, but I find hooded front sights easier to get on target.  

I'll try to post a higher resolution photo later today so you can better see the details.  It's a very interesting 74.  I'd love to have a clone of this!
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#21]
well correct or not, this rifle is really neat and extremely fun to shoot. All the cool factor and no bruised shoulder!
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]
While maybe not "correct" I like it and I'd be interested in owning one myself if it was available.
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Harlan is making some receivers......

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#24]
As promised, here's a larger resolution picture of the rifle above.  Me want!!!

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#25]
that looks like a Chinese .223 w/ tapco brake. Chinese wood, Chinese FS, Chinese Gas tube, Chinese etc....

edit to add pic (not mine stole it from web)

add a tapco comp and there ya go

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:59:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Your right that does look like just a chinese .223
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:51:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
that looks like a Chinese .223 w/ tapco brake. Chinese wood, Chinese FS, Chinese Gas tube, Chinese etc....

add a tapco comp and there ya go

I had thought about that.  The magazine, gas tube and FSB look Chinese.  But the picture comes from 1988 and was taken in Votkinsk, USSR.  (Definitely no Tapco on that rifle ).  The receiver top cover appears to be a Russian Type-C, and selector lever doesn't look Chinese either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I liked the AK74 underfolder so much I bought two.
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
But the picture comes from 1988 and was taken in Votkinsk, USSR.  (Definitely no Tapco on that rifle ).  The receiver top cover appears to be a Russian Type-C, and selector lever doesn't look Chinese either.

Did they have airsoft back in 1988 Votkinsk

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#31]
As to the posed fantasy photo . . .yeah - that's a Chinese type 84S-1 .223 rifle with a painted magazine.  Note the semiauto selector stop plate, the semiauto receiver, and that it is an AK47 pattern, not an AKM.  And as noted, an aftermarket M14 AK-74 look-alike brake - note there are  two centered top ports, not the correct 3 asymmetrical ports.

Now there is a Russian underfolder in 5.45 - the Experimental Model 1973 was an underfolder 5.45 Krink.  

None of which detracts from the  very nice job on the OP's underfolder.

Link Posted: 12/30/2011 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, spetsnaz was using Chinese .223.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Decided to move the AKARS top cover over to the under folder (like Nictra suggested when I first got it)

Was going to try and test AKARS today with Auzie but we were rained out all day. Will try tomorrow though and see how it runs.

Here with PO 4x24P

Z
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Decided to move the AKARS top cover over to the under folder (like Nictra suggested when I first got it)

Was going to try and test AKARS today with Auzie but we were rained out all day. Will try tomorrow though and see how it runs.

Here with PO 4x24P

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Optics/PO4x24P_74UF01.JPG
Z
You take some good pics man.

Link Posted: 2/18/2012 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, that's airsoft. In any case, it's chinese wood.
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Here with PO 4x24P

http://zenphotos.net/file/Online/SVD/Optics/PO4x24P_74UF01.JPG
Z
I knew you would! I just knew you couldn't have a rifle w/o a scope man! You have a sickness, and I'm jealous! Are you sure that's the same finish b/c that rifle looks better than before!

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top