Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/29/2012 7:27:07 PM EDT
Zeppelin3K reminded me I needed to update russianoptics.net with an article about what combloc type optics work for the AKSU. (Thanks, been on my to do list for a while ) I created a new page for the site with most of the things I know work. http://russianoptics.net/aksu.html for more info

A quick run down:

NPSU/1PN34 and other cold war era night vision optics naturally

Rakurs

Kashtan

Kobra

Obzor

PK-AS (not all versions)

Side rails that DO NOT fit

PK series: (PK01-Vi will fit, others will not)

Basically the limiting factor is the rear sight of the AKSU which is much further back on the top cover and blocks many of the optics and rails from seating properly. The Bulgarian peep sight top cover sits further back than the standard AKSU top cover and may block most all optics. I haven't been able to test the M92 style krink with any optics and can't comment for sure.

Z
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe that the KV-04 rail can be reversed.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
It can yes but without cutting it down it can be pretty awkward

Z
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting when it comes to mounting side rail optics to the AKS-74U.  However, I feel that mounting optics to the AKS-74U is definitely where American ingenuity has benefited the Krinkov.  I see you still have the StormWerkz rail installed .  Your previous pictures with the StormWerkz and Aimpoint T-1 is what inspired me to go the same route.  I definitely don't want to derail this thread, but thought I'd add my 2 cents on what I feel is a superior optics package for the AKS-74U.

EDIT:  I just clicked on your link and saw that you did discuss the StormWerkz / Aimpoint combo....just saved the link to my favorites
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#4]
No worries about derailing the thread, the Stormwerkz is a great topic for the AKSU. Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of Aimpoints because I prefer the collimator types over the red dots, but for the AKSU I really like the combination quite a bit and feel it's a natural fit. The Stormwerkz is a great idea and IMO you can't ask for a better way to mount a T-1 style MRD.

I still get a lot of miles with the side rail optics too, and lately I've been really intrigued by Kashtan and the AKSU...I think this might end up being my favorite overall actually. To take maximum advantage of the short handy design of the AKSU I do highly recommend the Aimpoint, it's a tough combo to beat.

Z

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:...

I still get a lot of miles with the side rail optics too, and lately I've been really intrigued by Kashtan and the AKSU...I think this might end up being my favorite overall actually. To take maximum advantage of the short handy design of the AKSU I do highly recommend the Aimpoint, it's a tough combo to beat.

Z

Out of all the Russian optics the 1P78 Kashtan is the one I'd be interested in, and seems like it would be a good choice that could easily be moved back and forth between my SGL31 and AKS-74U.  I'm just not sure if I want to add a side rail yet to my AKS-74U.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#6]

My Krink needs a Kobra....    

Link Posted: 8/29/2012 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Would a regular 4 power POSP sight fit on the krink? I've been considering the Bulgy 106ur, and I wouldn't mind a simple 4x for it if I ever did get one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2012 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised that even a BP-02 won't fit, but that's good to know. Left side optics on krinks kind of ruin the point, no? The coolest thing about them is they are short and have a folding stock. Well if you have a kobra (or other left side optic) you instantly just have a short carbine, no folding stock.

Of course we'll always have BF2 where they have a kobra on an aksu with the stock folded, and unfold it when you change to the weapon. :facepalm:
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow thanks for the visual i really appreciate it.  I like the look of the obzor and kobra, any preference of the two? Also will yhe folder still lock once the optic is mounted?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 5:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Kobra is a great sight and apparently well liked by troops that have used it in combat, but I prefer Obzor hands down. It has become my favorite collimator although I still recommend Rakurs first because it's a little more familiar to Western shooters or for those of us just trying out side rail optics.
None of the AK series rifles will let the stock fold to the left side with an optic on the rail.

Obzor reticule from 100 yards out. I like the triangle quite a bit, it's easy to plaster on target for quick shooting but if you zero at the very tip it can be used for more accurate shots as well.

Link Posted: 8/30/2012 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#11]
The glass looks incredible in that picture

Like another poster said, hope I'm not de-railing your thread at all...

How do you like the reticle vs Rakurs? is it as easy to estimate windage and holdovers vs the tighter spaced posts and chevron vs triangle? how is the FOV in comparison? Obzor looks smaller but I haven't had the chance to handle one in person...

Looking to buy one or the other for an AK-103 clone soon. I'm leaning towards the Rakurs because of the positioning (always ran aimpoints), but considering the Obzor too. Which version sits the lowest? Is there zero chance of getting a co-witness, or are the irons completely useless when its mounted? Is there any reason to go with Kalinka over Mr. OK on GB? Prices look to be the same these days. Would prefer a military model with Cyrillic markings to match the ones on my receiver.

Thanks for all your work already, and sorry if I'm pushing your thread off topic again. Great pics need an SBR one of these days
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The glass looks incredible in that picture

Like another poster said, hope I'm not de-railing your thread at all...

How do you like the reticle vs Rakurs? is it as easy to estimate windage and holdovers vs the tighter spaced posts and chevron vs triangle? how is the FOV in comparison? Obzor looks smaller but I haven't had the chance to handle one in person...

Looking to buy one or the other for an AK-103 clone soon. I'm leaning towards the Rakurs because of the positioning (always ran aimpoints), but considering the Obzor too. Which version sits the lowest? Is there zero chance of getting a co-witness, or are the irons completely useless when its mounted? Is there any reason to go with Kalinka over Mr. OK on GB? Prices look to be the same these days. Would prefer a military model with Cyrillic markings to match the ones on my receiver.

Thanks for all your work already, and sorry if I'm pushing your thread off topic again. Great pics need an SBR one of these days

I prefer the Obzor reticule over the Rakurs but I think Rakurs is the easier of the two to get used to. After using both for a long time I'm definitely a bigger fan of Obzor myself but really both are well designed sights that are effective.

Rakurs is lower than Obzor but neither will cowitness with the front sight post. Obzor blocks the front sight post and Rakurs just isn't low enough.

As far as Kalinka and OK, I have had years of great service from both and recommend each highly.

Thanks for the compliments :beer:

Z
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for that article, I'm waiting the long wait for my form 1 approval, looking forward to mounting my Kobra on that beast

And where do you get those cheek rests for your folder???
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thanks for that article, I'm waiting the long wait for my form 1 approval, looking forward to mounting my Kobra on that beast

And where do you get those cheek rests for your folder???

They are just SVD cheek rests and should snap right in place. Usually people wrap some electrical tape on the stock where the cheek rest snaps in so it doesn't mar the finish.
Link Posted: 10/10/2012 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#15]
How much weight does the NPSU add?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top