Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2012 11:53:16 AM EDT

With the whole .300 blackout craze it would seem that one could make use of the russian 9x39 rifles specifically built for this subsonic cartridge meant for suppression.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 11:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
We'll probably never get them. 9x39 is a military cartridge, and Russia/US relations aren't very good right now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#2]
it would be really cool...
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It's been tried before, Izhmash said they could do a run of Saigas in that caliber and either Wolf or Tula said they could make lead-core FMJ in both sub- and supersonic flavors but the deal fell through.  I don't remember why.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that a standard AK in 9x39 there with the AEK and VSS?

Is there a market?  There will always be a small one among AK nuts that are into Russian gear.  Wouldn't take off as much as .300 blackout I think, the .300 appeals to the tactical AR crowd which is much much larger than the AK crowd.  Since it shares so much commonality with regular AR parts, the economy of scale applies to it.  9x39 would be prohibitively expensive

I'd be in for a VSS or AS Val, even without the magic AP rounds.  That'd be a double NFA stamp for the suppressor and short barrel, but I'd pay for it.  My credit card would catch on fire, I'd pay for it so fast.

I keep hearing about 6.5 Grendel AKs, which I'd probably buy into as well.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
9x39 would be sick, but I imagine it would be very expensive.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I wonder if we could roll our own.

x39 case necked out to 9x19 with a reduced load to make it subsonic? Rechambering a x39 also does not sound like it would be too difficult.

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, I am not sure how much real demand for this would exist. The 7.62x35's claim to fame, after all, is .308 bullets and 7.62x39-like ballistics out of an AR. Loaded heavy, yes it is subsonic and all that jazz, but the primary draw seems to be its 7.62x39-like ballistics.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top