Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/28/2012 7:34:35 PM EDT
Hello! I was wondering exactly what is a third hole on a mak 90? I know they are somehow illegal. I was wondering if this MAK 90 has that third pin?

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That mak 90 does not have the third pin or someone has gone to great lengths to cover up by welding (which I doubt because it looks like the original blueing, but you never know).  The third pin is for the auto sear in a full auto and it is located slightly forward of the hammer pin and down.  It is right above the magazine catch assembly.

On other receivers there is an X stamp for the fire control pins and a Y stamp for the sear pin.

Look up on google image third pin mak 90 and you will see what I am talking about.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:46:45 PM EDT
[#2]
1 in this picture is actually the center support rivet, 3 is the hammer pin hole, and 2 is the auto sear hole.

Link Posted: 9/29/2012 5:02:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Short history lesson on the Mak-90 third hole rifles.  

What is called the "third hole" is a hole located slightly lower and forward of the trigger axis pin hole.  this hole is where the axis pin goes that holds the auto sear to make it fulll auto.  Without the auto sear, no full auto.  So the BATF says third  hole=machine gun.

At some point iin the early 90's some MAK-90s came into country with the evil third hole already drilled, but with a rivet put in place so you can't install the auto sear.  Well it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize how quick someone who is up to no good  could get rid of the rivet and have a full auto good time. The BATF eventually realized the mistake and called back all third hole MAK-90's.   Their logic is "once a machine gun, always a machine gun"  

Many people turned their rifles in, some did not.  Others simply didn't know about the recall.  So there are still some out there floating about willfully, or ignorantly.  Problem is, they are not legal to own.  They are in the eyes of the BATF an unregistered Machine Gun (even with the rivet still in place).   So best advice if you see one is run away, don not pass go, do not collect $200.  Do not ever buy one.    Even if the hole has been welded up, the BATF still considers the receiver an illegal machine gun.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 6:17:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Go to the Chinese sub forum here at AR15. The first tacked thread is all about the contraband MAK90's.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:17:43 AM EDT
[#5]
So just to be sure, the one in the pic is not a contraband correct?
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 8:47:24 AM EDT
[#6]
There's just too much hysteria about the 3rd hole. Anyone with half a brain could easily modify an auto sear to rotate on the center support pin. The "how to" books printed in Arizona clearly show this. Free reading at the gunshow. LOL. GARY
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So just to be sure, the one in the pic is not a contraband correct?

Correct.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Good to go on yours
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The only crime in that pic is the stock on that MAK!
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 1:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Haha i agree! I was just worried because I just won this gun on gunbroker for $599. I am absolutely changing that DISGUSTING ATI garbage. I got an arsenal stock for it, and a US made MOLOT style grip. I am gonna put a beryl handguard lower with an arsenal upper, and throw in a tapco g2 trigger (if it doesn't already have one) to keep it compliant with use of any magazine. I'll throw a picture up sometime when it's done. The gun has not made it to my dealer yet.

I was just kind of worried. Thanks for the reassurance guys! and I promise I'll get that trash furniture off it. It grosses me out too.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 1:25:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I did read about that. I am prepared to sand it down to fit.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I am certain I will love it! I love my AR but it just doesn't have that... nostalgic factor about it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 6:09:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Best bet is to exercise your Dremel-Fu in conjunction with some hand sanding.  Also, if you can get around dropping the G2 trigger in there I'd advise it.  G2's are just fine but the factory FCG is all in all a pretty smooth trigger.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top