Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/23/2012 6:16:07 AM EDT
Cant decide which one to go with. I want to also use it with a red dot. preferably the RMR.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I can only comment on the MI unit...I like mine.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:05:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both on many different aks... Both are good, each has its pros and cons… Ill list my thought for you if it helps…
Ultimak
Pros
     1. Low optic rail, sits lower you can run a larue quick detach and keep a solid cheek weld.
     2. Made very well a solid piece of kit and pretty easily installed
     3. Lower rails do not heat up as fast as MI rails
Cons
     1. Heavy if running the full rail…upper and lower
     2. Expensive, whole rail set up is $320
     3. Heat, it directly replaces the gas tube and after a 100rds or so your optic better be tuff cuz that bitch gets hot.
     4. Can’t keep cleaning rod in the rails.
MW
Pros
1. Nice rail system well made and easily installed
2. Heavy, especially the extended set, but way lighter then the ultimak
3. Can keep cleaning rod in the original spot
4. Heat, Optic stays a lot cooler due to the air gap between the rails and piston tube

Cons
1.Optic sits high when running a quick detach. You have to run a cheek riser of some kind to maintain proper cheek weld
2.If you run the optic specific upper the optic cannot be quickly detached
3.Gap between the rails and the receiver.. Just a cosmetic thing just bugs the shit outta me when mud gets wedged in there..

4.You have to run rail covers of good quality or in rapid fire you will cook 1913 rails into your hand.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#3]
The Ultimak sound more benificial if im just running the upper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to run the MI handguard and I did not like it. It gets hot as hell and my groups opened up with it(I think because of the large clamping surface to the barrel).

I run the Ultimak gas tube with K-Var lower handguard on both my AKs and much prefer it.
The Ultimak gas tube is actually slightly lighter than the standard gas tube with upper handguard. Of course, adding a red dot to it is going to increase the weight, but if it's a micro red dot then it will not be noticeable.
The K-Var lower handguard handles heat way better than the MI handguard, they are not even comparable in that regard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I used to run the MI handguard and I did not like it. It gets hot as hell and my groups opened up with it(I think because of the large clamping surface to the barrel).

I run the Ultimak gas tube with K-Var lower handguard on both my AKs and much prefer it.
The Ultimak gas tube is actually slightly lighter than the standard gas tube with upper handguard. Of course, adding a red dot to it is going to increase the weight, but if it's a micro red dot then it will not be noticeable.
The K-Var lower handguard handles heat way better than the MI handguard, they are not even comparable in that regard.

What are you running for a red dot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven't used the MI rail, but was concerned about the handguard getting really hot without using a VFG and/or gloves.  So I went with the Ultimak when primary arms had their combo sale of the ultimak and the PA sight.  I have been very happy with it, except for the fact that it bolts to the barrel.  But as long as you're not using it on a 5.45x39 with corrosive ammo, it's not really an issue.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you running for a red dot.

Aimpoint H-1 on one and a Bushnell TRS-25 on the other.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 7:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with the Ultimak for a couple of reasons.

Usability - It's the only mount I've used that allowed for a good co-witness with my cheap TRS-25. Holds zero well and minimal maintenance.
Asthetics - I like simple lines and the tube does not take away from the factory-built look of any AK. It blends well and complements the rest of the rifle - be it wood or polymer.

Downside of course is heat, but my TRS-25 is still alive and bright.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the MI rail with the Aimpoint Micro specific topcover on a previous AK. It was nice and locked up solid. It kept the optic cooler longer, but I wasn't really worried about that. I also don't care for the gaps left between the bottom rail and receiver, but I have nothing but good things to say other than that.

I have an Ultimak on a current AK and have nothing but good things to say about it as well. Although, it is worth noting that you can't easily remove it for cleaning if you're running corrosive ammo. I've come up with a cleaning routine that works for me in this situation, though.

In my opinion, it comes down to what you're looking for in your system. I prefer the standard bottom handguard on my AK, so I like the Ultimak a little better. If you want some rail space for things like forward grips, lights, sling mounts, etc. then the MI is the way to go. I, personally, wouldn't pay the extra money to get the complete Ultimak rail system over the MI.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I have been leaning toward the Ultimak because i also like my stock bottom handguard. Anyone have any pics of there setup with the Ultimak. ??
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:07:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had both on my rifle. The ultimak proved more accurate when shooting and much lighter weight on the front of the rifle.

Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Thats funny i just ask about your Ultimak on your last post.
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 7:31:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I thought I had a tickle in my brain
Link Posted: 11/24/2012 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have been leaning toward the Ultimak because i also like my stock bottom handguard. Anyone have any pics of there setup with the Ultimak. ??

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/ostaf/DSC_1238.jpg?t=1352682968
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 9:34:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

My thoughts as well. I tried to like the MI but my experience was the same as yours. The group size was moreso the deal breaker.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I run an MI dedicated optic mount/rail and I like it a lot.  I shoot it in competition.

I wouldn't know how hot it gets, as I run rail covers.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I was looking into a mount a while ago (still haven't got one) and here's the thread I had going. Link. Alot of people seem to like the Ultimak. Some good advice about red dots in there as well.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#18]
This is not the greatest shot of my 74 with the Ultimak, but it should serve your purpose.

Here is the 47 I had with the MI.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 5:50:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I have run the Ultimak and stock Hand gaurd, Ultimak upper/ Long Lower rail, standard MI optic Specific, and the Extended Optic specific. My choice would either be the ultimak and stock Hand gaurd or the MI optic Specific Extended version. I like to grip all my guns right about the gas block on AKs and Carbine Length ARs.  So for consistentancy sake across all my guns they have a longer rail to accommodate that grip style across all of my rifles.

No matter which system if you want to clean the gas tube get a 12 gauge cleaning kit.

Link Posted: 11/26/2012 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone with either the Ultimak or the MI handguard kit on a Yugo underfolder?
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have tried both the MI rail and the Ultimak and here is the reason I went witht he Ultimak. First I do not believe 1/3 cowitness is possible on an AK nor do I believe it is important. What is important to me is a proper cheekweld and the issue I had with the MI rail was the top rail over the gas tube sat too high to get a proper cheekweld with a nato stock. I had to add a cheek riser in order to get a proper cheek weld. The ultimak, because the rail sat lower as part of the tube, allowed me to maintain a proper cheek weld without having to modify or add a new stock.

Other that that both mounting options are gtg and work great. I went with the ultimak because it was a proven design and it's been used in carbine classes for a few years now without issue. MI makes good quality stuff, but until they lower that top rail a bit so I dont have to add a cheek pad to the stock then the Ultimak is the one for me.
As far as the heat is concerned I would shoot with a glove on my support hand whether I used the MI or Ultimak anyway so heat is not an issue. Unless you are doing mag dumps in full auto I can't see the Ultimak being an issue.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have tried both the MI rail and the Ultimak and here is the reason I went witht he Ultimak. First I do not believe 1/3 cowitness is possible on an AK nor do I believe it is important.

Cowitness, if not quite 1/3, is possible with the optic specific MI rail.  If you broke your optic, and it was blocking your irons, you might figure out why it's important.

I bought the MI to keep the heat out of my optic.  Gas tubes get hot.  I use rail covers on my lower, so the rails getting hot has never been a problem.  It's worked very well for me, even in spirited competition shooting.

Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#23]
OP, in the interest of letting your extra thread die I will ask this here. Where did you get it and with what red dot?
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought it at Brownells for 86.00 but i never bought a red dot yet, thinking about the Aimpoint Micro.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, talk about biting the bullet and dropping some cash...
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 4:37:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Im working on putting cash together for an H1 or T1 as well. I keep spending money on other toys, cant seem to get it in order for the sight- but the Ultimak is a really nice rail system.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks nice is that an SLR
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Yep and thanks-
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 5:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I really like my ultimak with the exception of cleaning.  I wish there was a system to take off the rail for thorough cleaning, then easily put it back on.  I have no experience with the MI, but some reviews I have seen say it affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I really like my ultimak with the exception of cleaning.  I wish there was a system to take off the rail for thorough cleaning, then easily put it back on.  I have no experience with the MI, but some reviews I have seen say it affect accuracy.

What problems specifically? I asked someone here recently and they said they just do the regular hot water flush and scrub the tube with a 12ga brush.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 6:30:03 PM EDT
[#31]
have this

thinking of going with the Ultimak to shave weight but hadnt decided
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
What problems specifically? I asked someone here recently and they said they just do the regular hot water flush and scrub the tube with a 12ga brush.

I actually don't even use the shotgun brush all that often. I flush mine with hot water and then hit the whole rifle with CRC Brakleen to dry it up after running corrosive ammo. Haven't had a speck of rust on any steel or any oxidation on the Ultimak.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:18:00 PM EDT
[#33]
I like my MI on my Arsenal SLR 105

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 2:32:06 PM EDT
[#34]
At a Vickers Tactical AK operators course last year, I ran the MI rail with the US Palm upper specifically made for the Trijicon RMR.  I had zero problems with the MI or the RMR.  Several students had MI and Ultimak rails.  The only complaint with the Ultimak was cleaning the gas tube- The optic will have to be re-zeroed after every removal of the tube.  The key to a proper combo that works is choosing a quality brand optic, and proper installation.  We found out real quick who didn't use LocTite.

I sold the AK that I used in that class, but still have the rail if you're interested.  Shoot me a PM.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

+1

But the micro and ultimak combo is a tank it's hard to beat or break it.

DIESELSMOKE have you considered the bushnell TRS-25 or primary arms micro dot? You can get the bushnell at Wally World for $100 and it works just fine just might not last as long as the aimpoint.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

But the micro and ultimak combo is a tank it's hard to beat or break it.

DIESELSMOKE have you considered the bushnell TRS-25 or primary arms micro dot? You can get the bushnell at Wally World for $100 and it works just fine just might not last as long as the aimpoint.

Primary arms is out of them ATM... Anyone know where to get one? Anyone know if there's a place that sells the PA red-dot with an Ultimak rail like PA did/does?

ETA: As far as I've read, the PA will take hell just fine. Who knows as far as time durability goes, but I doubt most of us will wear out a red-dot lol.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 10:00:21 PM EDT
[#37]
The TRS-25 works well on the Ultimak. So far it has handled the heat just as well as my Aimpoint H-1.

Quoted:
The only complaint with the Ultimak was cleaning the gas tube- The optic will have to be re-zeroed after every removal of the tube.

It is unnecessary to remove the Ultimak for cleaning. If you don't shoot corrosive you never really have to touch it, at most just use a 12 gauge bore brush on it.
If you shoot corrosive then just spray water down it. I have one on 2 AKs and have never needed to remove it and have had no issues as a result.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a MI ss Extended handguard with a primary arms dot upper that im thinking of trading for a arsenal/ultimak if anyone is interested lmk
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top