Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/3/2012 9:52:53 PM EDT
I'm thinking of doing an AK74M clone if I can source an SGL31-94 sometime in the next few months.

I was wondering if there was some source for the post-1990 AK74M brake, or an effective, chrome-lined US clone thereof?

Other than the brake and the pistol grip plate, are there any other differences of note between the SGL31-94 and the AK74M?

Your help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#1]
CNC WARRIOR might have what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:19:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of doing an AK74M clone if I can source an SGL31-94 sometime in the next few months.

I was wondering if there was some source for the post-1990 AK74M brake, or an effective, chrome-lined US clone thereof?

Other than the brake and the pistol grip plate, are there any other differences of note between the SGL31-94 and the AK74M?

Other than the receiver markings, the only other difference between the AK74M and the SGL31-94 is that the Gas Block and FSB are attached via dimples instead of pinning.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the receiver markings, the only other difference between the AK74M and the SGL31-94 is that the Gas Block and FSB are attached via dimples instead of pinning.

And the pistol grip reinforcement plate.

ETA: Nevermind, OP already covered that.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out THIS

There is a waiting list for the next batch.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Check out THIS

That's not the correct brake. This is the correct one

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:03:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Check out THIS

That's a good looking brake. Wish I would've seen those before I bought my $10.00 specials...

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Yes, exactly this type. Do you mind me asking where you sourced yours?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes, exactly this type. Do you mind me asking where you sourced yours?

I got it from a local guy. He had several at the time and I bought them all. Except for one I kept for me, I sold everything else.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I got it from a local guy. He had several at the time and I bought them all. Except for one I kept for me, I sold everything else.

Damn.

I think the one that comes with the SGL31 is aesthetically and functionally correct, except it just isn't chrome-lined. My SGL is at the smith, can anyone confirm?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
The SGL has a US made copy but it isn't exactly correct and isn't the same as the original 74M

US

74M

Z

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]
OK, the question remains: where do I get one?
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#12]
The only ones I have found were from overseas sellers but they've almost all disappeared. There's a general crackdown on surplus military items by Russian customs, as well as a dwindling supply of gear due to decades of selling to the collector market. While there used to be warehouses full of cold war equipment the Russians have apparently become very diligent in tracking down the biggest dealers and it's making it hard for anyone to get stuff out of the country like they used to. A few big names from previous years ended up in prison and unfortunately these days stuff comes around in ones and twos if it comes around at all.

That being said check the EE here often, there are a number of people in the US who can sometimes get surplus gear like 74M brakes and whatnot.

Z
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top