Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/9/2013 4:15:51 PM EDT
I used vht paint and a hair dryer to cure it.  i wonder how it will turn out?
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 5:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Umm, okay...
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I can only assume Scotty12 meant to post this in his thread below about refinishing a WASR.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Hairdryers are pretty good tools for drying paint to the touch. (sometimes force drying can effect certain finishes' sheen (how shiny it is))

But truly curing paint takes time. (sometimes even 30 days) Unless maybe you bake it.

Cured, means the paint is as dry as it will ever be. (and as hard and durable as it will get)

You can use a heatgun for this too, but it's much easier to mess something up, than a hairdryer.

We use fans alot to help dry finishes, at work.

Box fans, industrial floor fans, and even ones that look like they came off an old furnace. (sometimes they have)
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used VHT high temp brake caliper paint to paint rifle parts, but never a whole rifle.  I've gotten very good results with it, the stuff is very durable if applied and cured correctly.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#5]
in for the pics
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently spray painted my hog hunting AK(SGL21), turned out pretty good for a $20 paint job and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the black did.
Lesson learned: sometimes being a cheap bastard works out.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently spray painted my hog hunting AK(SGL21), turned out pretty good for a $20 paint job and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb like the black did.
Lesson learned: sometimes being a cheap bastard works out.

http://i.imgur.com/0GTWDhY.jpg

My rattle can job on my Galil. I've way overposted this pic, I should take more...

I've had pretty good results with shake n bake rattle can paint. The Galil above was ambient cure. I might have left it outside during summer day to give it a little post cure, but I don't remember.

For my Krink receiver and entire RPK, I used 2000 deg F engine paint. I put it through the whole cure cycle more or less. It comes out nice, but both have chipped relatively easy. I'd probably try their high temp primer as a base coat next time.

As with anything, all the real work is in the prep.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I used vht paint and a hair dryer to cure it.  i wonder how it will turn out?

How high temperature was this paint? What do they recommend for a cure cycle?

If its much of anything, your hair dryer won't do very good.

The length of your cure  can make up for lower temps, but its not a linear thing.

Example: 2 hrs at 200 deg F  is not the same as 1 hr at 400 deg F.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top