Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/3/2013 5:50:03 AM EDT
To be honest I've never been into the AK105 and have generally considered it to be a 'Gucci' gun (something that is neat but not particularly better or more useful than a full size 74).

Since I'm slowly adding one of each type of 74 to the collection I decided it was time to do an AK105...and I'm glad I did. First impression is that the rifle balances better than a full size 74 and it has a hard to explain but noticeable 'good' feeling to it. I'm not sure what it is but it's there and makes me smile without knowing exactly why. I've had it out for one range trip and had a weird incident where the booster was blown off during shooting. While I was trying to figure out what the problem was it blasted off again and plunged into the bottomless lake that we all know and love at the Impact Zone range. During that same trip I tried a few AK74 brakes and did not have a problem, so my only conclusion is that the threads on the 105 booster were cut poorly and it wasn't able to hold on during shooting. Recently I've acquired a 104 booster hoping that the larger exit hole will reduce back pressure and lessen the likelyhood of it launching off into space. I suppose in a way it's a moot point because I will probably run a regular 74 brake or an aftermarket brake of some sort on it, but the short 105 booster is growing on me and naturally I'd like to be able to use it in stock configuration if I wanted to.

I'm actually most likely to go with a TWS top cover and a Trijicon RMR08. Doc Feelgood has one on his AKSU and I've been pretty impressed with it, plus been wanting an excuse to mount the TWS to something. The RMR has my favorite reticule pattern which is a triangle, very similar to Obzor which I really dig.

As usual Mario did a stellar job on the conversion of the SGL31-44. Fit and finish is great, selector markings are nice and the rivet work is great. I've had three rifles built or converted by him now and have been impressed each time, plus he's one of the only builders that does detail work suitable for clone rifles. While I still shoot a lot I think I've transitioned into a collector more than a shooter when it comes to what kind of rifles I own, and what inspires me now is to have at least one folding 74 for each period as correct as it can be. Mario is a great builder in that style.

Big thanks to Chawkpilot for selling the SGL31-44 to me last year. I probably wouldn't have gone the 105 route if I hadn't found one in the immaculate condition that he kept it.

With PK1 Obzor (formerly 1P63 Obzor)

1P78 Kashtan

Selector markings

Rivet work and 74M/100 series dimples

74M and 105

AKSU and 105

Comparison of AKSU and AK105 boosters (105 on bottom)

Before the booster launched off

And the family collection

Z
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, he did a great job on that rifle. Beautiful collection.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:19:42 AM EDT
[#2]

The regular '74 brake creates quite a bit of back force. I know this because I had a FSB that was a petty right press fit on one of my '74 builds. I didn't pin it yet as I wanted to confirm it wasn't canted before doing that.

About six rounds into zeroing at the range, my whole FSB assembly went flying about 10 yards down range. Luckily, I didn't get a baffle strike on the brake. Lesson learned.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:32:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazing Tx-Zen...

This pic is exactly what I am shooting for with my 74 collection...

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:46:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I swore not to buy or build another 5.45 rifle and you had to post this beauty! Love the rifle and pics my friend, when I get back from deployment Mario will be getting some business from me.

Chawkpilot is one cool dude, we have done some business in the past. He is one of the few people in the states with a mint AK103 muzzle brake I sold him when I got out of 7.62. As a matter of fact, the SLR105 I sold Doc Feelgood was originally purchased from Chawkpilot.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#5]
your collection needs a RPK74M folder
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice as always
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful rifle.   You may want to try out a 4 piece brake on that, once you use one you'll never want to go back.
Aside from boosting pressure like the booster, it aslo drastically reduces recoil and flash, and redirects concussion and sound downrange.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Beautiful rifle.   You may want to try out a 4 piece brake on that, once you use one you'll never want to go back.
Aside from boosting pressure like the booster, it aslo drastically reduces recoil and flash, and redirects concussion and sound downrange.

I concur. BTW, what's your schedule this weekend? I'm free and have an itchy trigger finger.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:50:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The AK-105 is currently my dream AK.

I want to get one built for myself some day.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To be honest I've never been into the AK105 and have generally considered it to be a 'Gucci' gun (something that is neat but not particularly better or more useful than a full size 74).

Since I'm slowly adding one of each type of 74 to the collection I decided it was time to do an AK105...and I'm glad I did. First impression is that the rifle balances better than a full size 74 and it has a hard to explain but noticeable 'good' feeling to it. I'm not sure what it is but it's there and makes me smile without knowing exactly why. I've had it out for one range trip and had a weird incident where the booster was blown off during shooting. While I was trying to figure out what the problem was it blasted off again and plunged into the bottomless lake that we all know and love at the Impact Zone range. During that same trip I tried a few AK74 brakes and did not have a problem, so my only conclusion is that the threads on the 105 booster were cut poorly and it wasn't able to hold on during shooting. Recently I've acquired a 104 booster hoping that the larger exit hole will reduce back pressure and lessen the likelyhood of it launching off into space. I suppose in a way it's a moot point because I will probably run a regular 74 brake or an aftermarket brake of some sort on it, but the short 105 booster is growing on me and naturally I'd like to be able to use it in stock configuration if I wanted to.

I'm actually most likely to go with a TWS top cover and a Trijicon RMR08. Doc Feelgood has one on his AKSU and I've been pretty impressed with it, plus been wanting an excuse to mount the TWS to something. The RMR has my favorite reticule pattern which is a triangle, very similar to Obzor which I really dig.

As usual Mario did a stellar job on the conversion of the SGL31-44. Fit and finish is great, selector markings are nice and the rivet work is great. I've had three rifles built or converted by him now and have been impressed each time, plus he's one of the only builders that does detail work suitable for clone rifles. While I still shoot a lot I think I've transitioned into a collector more than a shooter when it comes to what kind of rifles I own, and what inspires me now is to have at least one folding 74 for each period as correct as it can be. Mario is a great builder in that style.

Big thanks to Chawkpilot for selling the SGL31-44 to me last year. I probably wouldn't have gone the 105 route if I hadn't found one in the immaculate condition that he kept it.

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_Left01.jpg
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_LeftFront01.jpg
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_Right01.jpg

With PK1 Obzor (formerly 1P63 Obzor)
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_ObzorLeft03.jpg

1P78 Kashtan
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_KashtanLeft01.jpg

Selector markings
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_Selector01.jpg

Rivet work and 74M/100 series dimples
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_FolderRivets01.jpg
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_GB_Dimples.jpg

74M and 105
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_AK74M_Right02.jpg

AKSU and 105
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105_AKSU_Right02.jpg

Comparison of AKSU and AK105 boosters (105 on bottom)
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/Boosters_AKSU_AK105.JPG

Before the booster launched off
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/AK105Left01_Cade.JPG

And the family collection
http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/74_Left01.jpg

http://zenphotos.net/zenphotos/file/Online/SVD/AK105/Z_Collection01.jpg

Z

That is soooo sexy! I love it! If i could keep my bayo lug my Bulgarian would be a 105 right now! I love 105 so much and that one is perfect.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 12:07:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful as always, Z.

Looks like I need to convert my CR to a 102 now...
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Some kinda sick stick there!  I'd be happy with an SGL31-94 nevermind a 105 clone.  Sweet!
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice collection
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!

And I know what you mean about the balance issue.  It's amazing how making the front end of a rifle even 8 ounces lighter can dramatically improve the handling of a rifle.

ETA: BTW, I've never really understood how come the 105 hasn't caught on with more military users.  It seems to me to be an almost perfect compromise between a standard-length carbine like the 74M and a PDW like the Krink.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Very nice!

And I know what you mean about the balance issue.  It's amazing how making the front end of a rifle even 8 ounces lighter can dramatically improve the handling of a rifle.

Love the 105 and the dimples.  You don't recognize how good it is until you hold it and feel the balance.

On a side note, is that my old Kobra on the Krink?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Beautiful 105 and beautiful collection!
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:43:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The regular '74 brake creates quite a bit of back force. I know this because I had a FSB that was a petty right press fit on one of my '74 builds. I didn't pin it yet as I wanted to confirm it wasn't canted before doing that.

About six rounds into zeroing at the range, my whole FSB assembly went flying about 10 yards down range. Luckily, I didn't get a baffle strike on the brake. Lesson learned.  

So you're saying I don't need to use my press to pull a 74 FSB?
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 6:52:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Very nice collection and thanks for the kudos guys! I still regret now selling that SGL31 but it went to a great home. I still have the complete AK105 parts kit to convert one so maybe I will have to get another and have Ted get to work on it for me...
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the front end parts for my AK-105 build. Might have waited too long on getting an SGL31 though. Seems like the newest rifles don't have the Izhmash arsenal stamping on the front trunnion.

Looks great, and as always Mario's work is top notch. Upon inspecting the photos, it looks like the rear cutout for the folding rear trunnion are a little rough. It could be the photos though.

Anyways, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]
The receiver cut for the rear latch looks rough. Other than that, looks like one awesome build.

Link Posted: 7/3/2013 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Very nice!

ETA: BTW, I've never really understood how come the 105 hasn't caught on with more military users.  It seems to me to be an almost perfect compromise between a standard-length carbine like the 74M and a PDW like the Krink.  

The Russians don't like the AK-105 in CQB situations, especially indoors. They were nervous about  high velocity rounds pinging around, so they've adopted the AK-104 in 7.62x39. I'm actually not even sure if any Russian units are using the AK-105, either military or special police.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for posting those photo Z - looks good!

I've got a decent collection of Saiga folding stock conversion photos and have taken the liberty of creating a composite photo of a factory cutout compared to a variety of different conversions. This might help put things in perspective. Mario has a very good reputation for reasonable prices and speedy service.

I've purposely labled these as A, B, and C:

-Thirtycal
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 11:08:27 AM EDT
[#25]
B looks the best IMO
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Ok I made another set: The first set is A, B, C.

Here's three more conversions D, E, F:

-Thirtycal
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Ok here's the last set: Three more rifles, three more vendors G, H, I:

-Thirtycal
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The receiver cut for the rear latch looks rough. Other than that, looks like one awesome build.

Hey I just noticed that selector lever doesn't look correct. Is that maybe a new style from the Izhmash factory?

-Thirtycal

Link Posted: 7/4/2013 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s182.photobucket.com/user/clutterbugg/media/Conversion%20Comparisons/factoryl_vs_thirtycal_cutout_ghi_zps643269da.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x21/clutterbugg/Conversion%20Comparisons/factoryl_vs_thirtycal_cutout_ghi_zps643269da.jpg</a>

-Thirtycal

Conversion I is mine, it was done by user esteps_guns over on AK Files.
Link Posted: 7/4/2013 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s182.photobucket.com/user/clutterbugg/media/Conversion%20Comparisons/factoryl_vs_thirtycal_cutout_ghi_zps643269da.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x21/clutterbugg/Conversion%20Comparisons/factoryl_vs_thirtycal_cutout_ghi_zps643269da.jpg</a>

-Thirtycal

Conversion I is mine, it was done by user esteps_guns over on AK Files.

Yes, that's what I have in my notes:
Daniel Estep (Estep Guns)

thanks for verifying!

-Thirtycal
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok looks like everyone is tired of guessing so here's the key:

A: Mario Fraire (Piece of History Firearms)
B: Thirtycal AK-74M (Homebuilder)
C: K-Var (last batch)
D: Thirtycal AK-103 (Homebuilder)
E: Chris Butler (AK-USA)
F: Quentin Blevins (Iron Curtain Creations)
G: K-Var (first batch)
H: Ted Marshall (Marshall Firearms)
I: Daniel Estep (Estep Guns)

A couple of comments:

1) In my opinion Ted wins the prize for authenticy. His cuts are perfect, his rivets are perfect, and the depth of his rivet dimpling (for the swell necked heads) is perfect. he's also the most expensive. Iron Curtain looks like a great alternative.
2) Sorry for throwing my two in there. Didn't want to make this about me, but I figured it would show folks that it is possible to do this type of work with hand tools.
3) The one vendor that I've never been able to get photos of is Turbothis. If anyone has closeup photos, please post them.
4) K-var, despite what one might expect for the price, are not selling factory folders. They are most definitely selling a Saiga conversion. But most interestingly, you'll notice that something has changed between the 'first batch' of SGL-x1-94's (from '11/'12) and the 'latest batch' of SGL-x1-95's (from 2013). I've seen many folks ask "What's the difference between a -94 and a -95?", and hopefully this illustration might provide an answer:

I'm my opinion, the -95's (so far at least) look worse than the original -94's. I can't explain why they're different, but it's possible that this could indicate that K-var is not actually doing this work themselves. It's hard to prove that, so I've just point-blank asked K-var. I'll see if they provide an answer.

What's most interesting to me is that with these new 'welded' folding-stock Vepr-12 imports http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/vepr-12-gauge-shotgun-pre-order-detail.html?Itemid=0, I'm wondering if the next batch of SGL-31-96(?) will have an actual factory-installed folder? That would be sweet.

-Thirtycal
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I really appreciate you taking the time to post photos, thirtycal.

That -95 is a mess.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I am not a big fan of the 105 but that is dead sexy Zen :).
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I really appreciate you taking the time to post photos, thirtycal.

+1

I do as well. Your skill and attention to detail are hard to match and I think only just a few of the top builders have more precision than you. I always enjoy seeing your work and your comments on details like these.

Quoted:

Hey I just noticed that selector lever doesn't look correct. Is that maybe a new style from the Izhmash factory?

-Thirtycal

I'm not sure to be honest but this is a 31-44 and I wouldn't imagine that Chawk would have changed the selector so I have to assume it's factory from 2009 when the 44's came in.

Z
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Chawkpilot is one cool dude

He is indeed and it's my pleasure to have done business with him too.

Z
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I concur. BTW, what's your schedule this weekend? I'm free and have an itchy trigger finger.

How are you looking for this coming weekend?

Z
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I ran the beer can on both of my AKSUs and to be frank never really cared for it, though I do like it better than the standard AKSU booster.

In my very subjective opinion I felt like accuracy was worse with the 4 piece vs the standard but I never did bench them side by side. I do see a lot of 105 owners that have the 4 piece and have always been curious why, so thank you for the explanation.

Z
Link Posted: 7/8/2013 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Mustangduckk's rivets on a Tula Krink. Missing some paint after a year or so of running it hard.

Not as nice as some, but they'll hold.

ETA: 74uLLC receiver

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top