Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2013 2:28:42 PM EDT
What's the best way about getting an AK SBR? I think I want a Krink, but I'm not sure. I've always liked the look of the 102/104/105 also but I figure if I'm going to go short, I might as well go really short. I think I'd want a stamped receiver Krink with the 100 series side folding stock. Is it better to buy a pistol and have it converted, or buy a rifle and have it converted? What is available on the market right now for me to buy? I need to submit my stamp before December since I live in a county that will not do CLEO signoffs.

Another issue is caliber. I can't decide between 5.56 and 7.62x39. Which of the two is less velocity dependent? I know I don't want to do a 5.45 because I don't want to deal with corrosive ammo or an ammo shortage if/when surplus 7n6 is no longer available.

The last issue is suppressed shooting. I've got a SOCOM556RC and SOCOM762RC on order. I'm fairly positive that if I go too short of a barrel, the risk of a baffle increases and Surefire will not warranty the can. Have y'all had issues shooting 7.62x39 Krinks on a full sized .308 can? I may not suppress it at all - I don't know yet. I've shot a SIG552 Commando 8.2" barrel with a can on and it hardly does anything... It still shoots huge fireballs at night.

OR I could just SBR my VZ58 that I already have. Who does good work on those?
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You want 7.62 if you aren't going for 5.45. 5.56 sucks hard out of short barrels (relative to it's performance in a long barrel.)

What's your budget like how how "krink-like" do you want to get?
Cheapest way to get into a krink type of sbr would probably be to add the stock onto a M92 pistol. It isn't "correct" as the Yugo has differences and never did have the sidefolder like the 100 series, but they are awesome guns. Aside from that, the Draco with a stock would be my number two option, but it does not have krink type sights.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at all options from a cost / time / effort standpoint.

Decided the most painless while still fun would be the draco.

I'm just waiting for the eForm site to be up and running 100% to file my form 1 then wait 11 months.

And you want a 7.62, best performance out of a short barrel.

Eta: AK's aren't the best hosts for a can. If I truly wanted to suppress a .30 pill, 7.62x35 in your AR would be ideal.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a Yugo PAP pistol in 7.62x39, quick put in your paperwork, and then shoot it until approved or turn it into a rifle and shoot it until approved

J&G sales has them along with Atlantic Firearms
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a Yugo PAP pistol in 7.62x39, quick put in your paperwork, and then shoot it until approved or turn it into a rifle and shoot it until approved

View Quote

This is the best approach imo.

basically what I did with a Draco a couple yrs ago- obviously I'm not concerned with anything looking 'correct', I wanted a short AK and it is a lot of fun.

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a nice new 5.45 Bulgarian Krink kit with matching SN NDS receiver some years ago and kinda lost interest and like an idiot sold the whole lot. Few years later I get "interested" again, but prices are through the roof, more than I could ever afford/justify for an AK. About the same time Dracos were cheap and plentiful (IIRC I paid $299 or thereabouts for the Draco). Registered, added new rear trunion and I have a short and fun AK in 7.62. With the prices of Dracos today I don't know if I'd do it again, it is just a toy. That being said, I'm thinking I might like it to have a Russian/Bulgarian style triangle sidefolder... back to the smith it would go. For now, its just a very fun gon to shoot and I'm glad I got into it when I did.

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
efiled my form 1 today.

when i get my stamp, the brake gets cut off

ETA: draco's are $599 from century
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:24:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Had a nice new 5.45 Bulgarian Krink kit with matching SN NDS receiver some years ago and kinda lost interest and like an idiot sold the whole lot. Few years later I get "interested" again, but prices are through the roof, more than I could ever afford/justify for an AK. About the same time Dracos were cheap and plentiful (IIRC I paid $299 or thereabouts for the Draco). Registered, added new rear trunion and I have a short and fun AK in 7.62. With the prices of Dracos today I don't know if I'd do it again, it is just a toy. That being said, I'm thinking I might like it to have a Russian/Bulgarian style triangle sidefolder... back to the smith it would go. For now, its just a very fun gon to shoot and I'm glad I got into it when I did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AK/IMG_8273.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/JTR8541/AK/IMG_8287.jpg
View Quote

i really like that.

a bonesteel folder would be a painless add on if you wanted a folder
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm looking to spend more than Draco money. I love the Bulgarian Krinks but can't seem to find any.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 4:49:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking to spend more than Draco money. I love the Bulgarian Krinks but can't seem to find any.
View Quote

I'd highly suggest a slr-107ur then.

There was one on the EE
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:26:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

basically what I did with a Draco a couple yrs ago- obviously I'm not concerned with anything looking 'correct', I wanted a short AK and it is a lot of fun.

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/hardwood83/SBR1.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i901.photobucket.com/albums/ac211/hardwood83/SBR1.jpg
I like that "grip", some have said it's uncomfortable. I think next to the regular AK grip it's the baddest looking aftermarket grip on the AK platform !

Link Posted: 10/19/2013 1:36:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i really like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i really like that.

I'd kinda been looking at those, but not being able to grip the weapon when the stock is folded is a bit if a turn-off. Would like to hear more about them from folks that have them. The difference in price between the Bonesteel and a Russian/Bulgarian triangle sidefolder +gunsmithing +time is quite a bit. I do like the stock on your Draco.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'd kinda been looking at those, but not being able to grip the weapon when the stock is folded is a bit if a turn-off. Would like to hear more about them from folks that have them. The difference in price between the Bonesteel and a Russian/Bulgarian triangle sidefolder +gunsmithing +time is quite a bit. I do like the stock on your Draco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

i really like that.

i had a bonesteel on my SAR-1 while I was going through a painful search for a NOS polish buttstock for a stamped receiver. In all honesty if it was an easy swap to a rifle trunion on my draco I'd use one. It was a great stock and extremely sturdy.

AKM Clone by The Dorsal Fin, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Dracos really are the most simple way to get into the SBR game.  

To another of your questions; the 7.62x39 is much less velocity dependent.
Link Posted: 10/19/2013 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
To another of your questions; the 7.62x39 is much less velocity dependent.
View Quote

+1 on that. The 7.62 is much less velocity-dependent than the 5.56mm. I would never do a 5.56 rifle with a barrel length less than 10 1/2 inches. In fact, the AK-102 (12.4" barrel) is the only 5.56mm AK that I would ever do.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 2:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are wanting to go short as possible, while keeping the true "krink" look... I would find an Arsenal SLR 107UR and do the cut/crown once your stamp arrives. I built my AK104 clone using an SLR 107CR and did the cut/crown myself. I absolutely love that rifle and would recommend one to anybody. Personally, I find the AK104 length to be much handier than full size while not being too short for most practical use. But if a super shorty is what you crave, look no further than a 107UR. As others have said... 7.62 suffers less from a shortened barrel than 5.56 mm. Good luck with your project!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top