Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/2/2013 5:41:08 PM EDT
Auzie, Cade and I made our yearly pilgrimage to see Nictra at the rifle range in Liberty Hill Texas North of Austin. It's actually called Best of The West Shooting Sports and is located right next to the Larue range in Liberty. Great place to shoot with 50 yard benches all the way out to 1000 yards.

This trip we brought a few rifles to sight in with the main intent being DMR action at 500 and 750 yards. Nictra brought his brand new RPK74M which shoots like a dream, I had my trusty NDM86, Cade had his FPK with PKS07 optic and Auzie his M76 in 8mm. We also worked in some AK105 and AK74M action along with some AR's and Cade's new Tavor bullpup. Weather was about 65-70, light winds from the north and about as pleasant a day as you can get anywhere in Texas.

The rifles:

And the range:

I was particularly pleased with my NDM86 at 750 yards, I scored about 40-50% hits using only hold overs with the second chevron on the PSO-1 and some left offset for the wind. At 500 yards the NDM is merciless and scoring hits is an easy 80-90% against a half man size steel plate even when I wasn't I wasn't concentrating as well as I could. Once again the PSO made me smile because after two years and numerous on and off's it's still zeroed within one click windage and elevation. The scope never ceases to impress me.
Nictra letting loose with the SVD

Also had a good time with my SGL31 and 2.8x magnification 1P78 Kashtan at 500 yards. It's really very easy to hit steel at that distance with this combo.

Nictra tore it up with his RPK74M and we discovered that my 1P78 Kashtan (which is zeroed to my SGL31) was nearly dead on for the RPK as well. Probably a coincidence but very cool anyway. I have to say I am thrilled with the RPK74M. TurboThis did a fantastic job squaring the Vepr 5.45 receiver and getting the 74M folder installed. He's a really classy guy and his work is top notch. I am officially jealous of Nictra and his RPK...this thing is pure hotness

I had a fun time with irons at 250 but there was a bit too much grass at 500 that prevented the spotters from getting a good idea of where the round went. It was impossible to hear the 5.45 against steel at 500 due to the number of other shooters on the line.

The Tavor is a very interesting rifle. I am not a fan of bullpups and probably never will be but this is a good one. The trigger is reasonable and the ergo's are pretty good though I had a difficult time figuring out what to do with my left hand. I usually have a mag hold but the Tavor isn't friendly to that hand position obviously. There is plenty of room on the forestock for a normal grip but I personally don't hold my AK hand guards so this was a weird one for me. Shot great though and I liked the recoil impulse. It feels like a very forgiving rifle even if I'm not used to bull pups.

Cade on the Tavor

Cade on the FPK and Auzie on the M76. Both did very well at 500 yards.

AK105 with 1P63 Obzor. I found to my surprise that the Obzor which has never been zeroed to any rifle, was almost exactly dead on for the 105. I did reasonably well at 500 yards and tore it up at 250. Great optic and depending on the color of the target you can actually see it through the Obzor triangle. I haven't used the optic past 100 yards and was pleasantly surprised overall, though it was much harder at 250 and 500 yards to shoot with both eyes open. For me my left eye became dominant and the reticule disappeared which doesn't happen to me at 100 yards.

To my surprise Nictra scored a few hits at 750 yards with his AR

Z
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#1]
That looks like a lot of fun!  I don't know why but long distance shooting with combloc rifles is really fun, probably because every time you nail a target past 200 meters its like another critic of the AK's accuracy is silenced
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm driving to Texas to shoot with you guys one day.

I'll think of it as, "Tennessee saves Texas part II" as Tennesseans have a history traveling to the lone star state with rifles.

Nice pics and nice shooting
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice hardware Gentlemen. It looks like you all had a great time, thanks for sharing the pics :-)

I've never been to a range that went past 300 yards, I can't imagine shooting out to 750!
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Was a total blast!! Fin, bring it buddy! Anytime man!

As for the AR at 750, no one was more surprised than I.

When I get to the office Monday I will post the $ shot. Zen caught the RPK in action. Brass flying and the action wide open. Or he will post it before then.

Shooting cheDrag is always the highlight for me. What a gorgeous weapon! If only my pockets were a bit deeper.

Thanks again guys for making the drive up. Had a ton of fun.

Now to plan the trip to Houston!
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Looks awesome!

Link Posted: 11/2/2013 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
That looked like an awesome time!
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
All those Austin Liberals would have been seething knowing those evil rifles were so close to their city.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like you guys had a good time. The Krink and 105 would probably have distracted me from playing with anything else.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I gotta ask a few technical questions.

1.Tell me about the M76

2.On the Tavor how does it hold zero compared to the non bullpup rifles.

Looks like a fun time had by all.
Link Posted: 11/3/2013 3:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I gotta ask a few technical questions.

View Quote

1.Tell me about the M76

2.On the Tavor how does it hold zero compared to the non bullpup rifles.

Looks like a fun time had by all.
IIRC, the M76 is an AWO one. With a ORF receiver like all of them. Pretty much the same as the one I had.

The Tavor we put my Trijicon tri-power on. Once we zero'd it, it was fine. Held zero good the whole time. Not fond of the trigger though, which I read is the biggest gripe about them anyway. Fun to shoot though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 4:48:37 AM EDT
[#12]
How in the heck was he shooting that Tavor left handed with the ejection port right at his cheek. Wasn't he getting burnt up with hot brass?
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#13]
looks like fun!
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:31:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How in the heck was he shooting that Tavor left handed with the ejection port right at his cheek. Wasn't he getting burnt up with hot brass?
View Quote
never heard him complain....

money shot!

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:33:16 AM EDT
[#15]
You'll have to let me know next time you head to BOTW!

I'm 15 minutes away.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#16]
will do!
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

never heard him complain....

money shot!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b232/NICTRA/Forum%20pics/_DSC0339_zpsa2785791.jpg

Well at least you were keeping hydrated.....Ya need those electrolites

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't hot, but the wind was constant. My poor fluorescent tan lips are chapped!
Link Posted: 11/8/2013 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#19]
One other question as I noticed what was in the bag. How did the Tula 223 do?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 2:38:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Outstanding!  I have to ask; when you set up targets at 750 yards, do you use a vehicle or bring along a bicycle to get back and forth in less time?
Link Posted: 11/9/2013 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Looks like fun. Thanks for posting the great pics.

Link Posted: 11/9/2013 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Outstanding!  I have to ask; when you set up targets at 750 yards, do you use a vehicle or bring along a bicycle to get back and forth in less time?
View Quote
steel plate at 750

Tula did fine at 250

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top