Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/21/2014 11:13:27 PM EDT
In the last 6 months I have bought 2 scope mounts for a SGL-31-61.  The first was out of spec and crap.  The second was decent but was so high by the time you added a red dot it was ridiculous.  I need to mount a red dot (like a eotech xps-2 or Aimpoint Comp M4) so I need the rail to ride just above the dust cove like a Kobra russian red dot does.  So what is a high quality, low profile, QD mount?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
For an AK either an ultimak or midwest ind. rail and an Aimpoint micro are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
An RS Regulate mount may be what you're after.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:06:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This would be my choice. There should be some You Tube reviews on them if you look.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:48:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Some mounts work better than others with certain optics.  Settle on an optic first, then select the mount that best accommodates it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#6]
What would be a good mount for a Vortex Sparc 2?  Would the RSRegulate AKML work with that?  (i didnt indicate which mount lower because I dont know if Id just do a red dot or if Id also throw on a magnifier on a swivel).

Also, this would all be on a VEPR in 7.62x39
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#7]
if its a 30mm tube red dot, the midwest industries is good and a bit cheaper than RS regulate.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 6:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
For the very best Russian mounts go with Alpha or NPZ, also RS Regulate as mentioned for a solid US design.

http://russianoptics.net/alpha_npz.html

Depending on what optic is mounted it is possible to use the irons with the Alpha mount. The center channel of the rail lines up with the rear sight leaf of an AK

AK300 mount from RSRegulate

Relative height over dustcover:

Z
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 6:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This would be my choice. There should be some You Tube reviews on them if you look.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.  Tough to beat the second generation RS system.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:48:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Attero. Really no contest whatsoever when it comes to mounting a red-dot, the Attero mounts are far away the best choice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Attero. Really no contest whatsoever when it comes to mounting a red-dot, the Attero mounts are far away the best choice.
View Quote

Dragynn -

Can't find any recent posts on Attero Mounts and their Website is a bit limited on pictures and so forth.  Looks like they've updated this Mount at least once and it does look good.

Any Photos of this mount on your Rifles you could post and any additional info as far as how low it sits on the dust cover, able to co-witness with irons, what the built-in rear sight is like, etc...  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Dragynn -

Can't find any recent posts on Attero Mounts and their Website is a bit limited on pictures and so forth.  Looks like they've updated this Mount at least once and it does look good.

Any Photos of this mount on your Rifles you could post and any additional info as far as how low it sits on the dust cover, able to co-witness with irons, what the built-in rear sight is like, etc...  Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dragynn -

Give me a minute, let me find pics. Attero's website has always been a bit wonky, was off-putting to me too at first, but their owner answers e-mails himself and was very helpful.

All their mounts have a built in notch rear sight, the optic-specific ones will co-witness, I use the generic picatinny rail mounts as I was more concerned about being able to use whatever optic I wanted than co-witness ability. I may wind up and get the aimpoint/PA specific mount for the SA-85 as I am VERY happy with the way it works and shoots and will be keeping it as is.

The mounts ride very low on the dust cover as you can see, the rail mount I use probably sits the highest of any of them. Removal of the dust cover for cleaning is no problem, removal of the bolt carrier group works fine too though on my SA-85 my stock adapter sits high up over where a stock normally mounts, so it's a little more difficult to remove, on the Vepr it slides right out.

Balance is superb with the optic sitting right about mid-gun, much better than Ultimak or handguard rails. This holds zero really well unlike most of the dust-cover rails too, it's super-solid.

There are a couple more rear-sight-replacement mounts out there, but none work anywhere near as well as this one does.

ETA:

SA-85

Vepr: I need to take new photos, I replaced the red-dot on the Vepr with a conventional scope, long eye-relief shotgun scope, haven't gotten it to the range yet.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Give me a minute, let me find pics. Attero's website has always been a bit wonky, was off-putting to me too at first, but their owner answers e-mails himself and was very helpful.

All their mounts have a built in notch rear sight, the optic-specific ones will co-witness, I use the generic picatinny rail mounts as I was more concerned about being able to use whatever optic I wanted than co-witness ability. I may wind up and get the aimpoint/PA specific mount for the SA-85 as I am VERY happy with the way it works and shoots and will be keeping it as is.

The mounts ride very low on the dust cover as you can see, the rail mount I use probably sits the highest of any of them. Removal of the dust cover for cleaning is no problem, removal of the bolt carrier group works fine too though on my SA-85 my stock adapter sits high up over where a stock normally mounts, so it's a little more difficult to remove, on the Vepr it slides right out.

Balance is superb with the optic sitting right about mid-gun, much better than Ultimak or handguard rails. This holds zero really well unlike most of the dust-cover rails too, it's super-solid.

There are a couple more rear-sight-replacement mounts out there, but none work anywhere near as well as this one does.

ETA:

SA-85

http://oi57.tinypic.com/116svbp.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2vx4mqb.jpg

Vepr: I need to take new photos, I replaced the red-dot on the Vepr with a conventional scope, long eye-relief shotgun scope, haven't gotten it to the range yet.

http://oi61.tinypic.com/xpvk15.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/59so5u.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dragynn -

ETA:

SA-85

http://oi57.tinypic.com/116svbp.jpg

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2vx4mqb.jpg

http://oi61.tinypic.com/xpvk15.jpg

http://oi60.tinypic.com/59so5u.jpg

Thank you!  Sealed the deal for me.  Ordering two mounts tonight.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top