Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2018 4:57:38 PM EDT

I recently added some old surplus furniture to my AK and included in that is a bakelite pistol grip. as i'm new to the bakelite stuff, i looked it up and i'm finding some horrifying facts about it and what it's made of. is this stuff safe to wrap your hands around? i see lots of people using it on their builds so i'm wondering what the consensus on these chemicals is (formaldehyde / asbestos etc)
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't bother worrying about it. There are hundreds of thousand of bakelite grips out there and no reports of saety issues.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 5:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't don't smoke it or snort it and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
The stuff everyone refers to as bakelite (ak mags, furniture sets) isn't bakelite but rather something called AG4 plastic.  Where I found that info, I can't recall but I did read it somewhere on another forum (maybe this forum) and other places.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The stuff everyone refers to as bakelite (ak mags, furniture sets) isn't bakelite but rather something called AG4 plastic.  Where I found that info, I can't recall but I did read it somewhere on another forum (maybe this forum) and other places.
View Quote
This. What we call Bakelite in the AK world isn't actually Bakelite.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ding, ding ding.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
The AK "Bakelite" is a nylon based plastic called AG4.
It was used for AK grips stocks, handguards, and the orange magazines.

Real Bakelite is usually too brittle for most firearms uses.  It chips and breaks too easily.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Although the "bakelite" magazines aren't actually made of bakelite, I believe that the old Russian pistol grips are.
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 12:19:08 AM EDT
[#8]
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/09/18/guest-post-brief-history-kalashnikov-magazine-part-2-synthetic-magazines/
Link Posted: 1/15/2018 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Don't don't smoke it or snort it and you'll be fine.
View Quote
LOL! But he's right. Also don't eat it.

BTW, that's a right dandy example you have there.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top