BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 7:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
it's not hard. It was easier for to just remove the whole thing and put a real SVD FSB on mine. If you're a Knights guy, spending an extra $600 or so to make that happen shouldn't be deal breaker for ya
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 8:51:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nictra:
it's not hard. It was easier for to just remove the whole thing and put a real SVD FSB on mine. If you're a Knights guy, spending an extra $600 or so to make that happen shouldn't be deal breaker for ya
View Quote

Its true haha.

If I were to find a real SVD FSB, what is involved in installing that?

I've seen a few that were missing the pins that secure it - I'm assuming the pins are needed to do it?

I guess I should first worry about actually finding a God damn SVD FSB for sale to begin with.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
The pins in the fsb that come on the FEG are the same ones for the SVD FSB, at least mine were.

Once you remove the bastardized thing they put on there, you can just press on the SVD FSB, then punch in pins. Took me longer to remove the old thing than add the SVD FSB
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By nictra:
The pins in the fsb that come on the FEG are the same ones for the SVD FSB, at least mine were.

Once you remove the bastardized thing they put on there, you can just press on the SVD FSB, then punch in pins. Took me longer to remove the old thing than add the SVD FSB
View Quote

That's good to know - doesn't sound bad at all then.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:19:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish they would make the one with the folding stock
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cyclone:
View Quote

The SVDS? There was a guy on AKfiles that took a parts kit he got out of Russia and had the receiver welded and refinished. Then either he or another poster took the finished receiver and made a CAD file that could be used to write programs to machine one (or 3D print one when additive metal manufacturing becomes more feasible).
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By wayfaerer320:

That's good to know - doesn't sound bad at all then.
View Quote

The original device was a bitch to get off on my HD-18. I had to use a torch and a 2 pound mini sledge to get the FSB pins out of mine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Willisinnawoods:

The SVDS? There was a guy on AKfiles that took a parts kit he got out of Russia and had the receiver welded and refinished. Then either he or another poster took the finished receiver and made a CAD file that could be used to write programs to machine one (or 3D print one when additive metal manufacturing becomes more feasible).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

That's the one.......I'd love to have one of those
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By CanvasBack:
Back in stock as of now.

FEG HD-18
View Quote

Absolutely insane. Makes absolutely zero sense to sell at that price. For that amount of money, buy a damn AI or Sako TRG. Better yet, the new Geissele DMR 6.5 Creedmoor with their Owl suppressor (when it comes out).
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/26/2024 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By themao:

Absolutely insane. Makes absolutely zero sense to sell at that price. For that amount of money, buy a damn AI or Sako TRG. Better yet, the new Geissele DMR 6.5 Creedmoor with their Owl suppressor (when it comes out).
View Quote

Unfortunately due to free market economics and our shitty import laws, it does make sense that they’re priced at that here in the US. Even if those aforementioned rifles offer better performance, the SVD is still a highly desired rifle, and FEG is basically the only game in town importing them. I wish PSA would actually deliver on their claim to produce a domestic SVD so we could have a more affordable option.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Unfortunately due to free market economics and our shitty import laws, it does make sense that they’re priced at that here in the US. Even if those aforementioned rifles offer better performance, the SVD is still a highly desired rifle, and FEG is basically the only game in town importing them. I wish PSA would actually deliver on their claim to produce a domestic SVD so we could have a more affordable option.
View Quote

I put $20 down that it costs FEG less than < $2000 to produce these rifles. There is no reason for them to cost more than $3500-4000 a unit.
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:02:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wayfaerer320] [#13]

I put $20 down that it costs FEG less than < $2000 to produce these rifles. There is no reason for them to cost more than $3500-4000 a unit.
View All Quotes

Unfortunately due to free market economics and our shitty import laws, it does make sense that they're priced at that here in the US. Even if those aforementioned rifles offer better performance, the SVD is still a highly desired rifle, and FEG is basically the only game in town importing them. I wish PSA would actually deliver on their claim to produce a domestic SVD so we could have a more affordable option.

This could be said of so many other rifles - it's just simple Supply and Demand.

You think it costs Knights Armament $7,000 to build an SR25? Not even close. Yet, people pay that price all day long.

The SVD is rare and it's highly desirable - the fact that so few are available is why the price of admission is so high.

Now, if FEG starts pumping out (and B&T is able to import) thousands of these rifles over the next several years, that will absolutely drive the price way down.

A great example of this is the SP5 - people were paying $5k for these when they first showed up and they were gone as fast as they came in. HK then proceeded to import shit loads of them and now you can get an SP5 for like $2600 (and sometimes even a little less if you look for sales).
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CanvasBack:
Back in stock as of now.

FEG HD-18

In every thread someone has to bitch about SVD prices or what other random rifle is more accurate for the money. That line of thinking is completely irrelevant and pointless

Don't do that here - keep it about the performance of the rifle. You can't change the price, neither can I. It's a waste of time to complain about it and distracts from the thread

Link Posted: 5/27/2024 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/27/2024 5:37:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#16]
Is that front sight clamped onto the flash hider?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know next to nothing about SVD's. Do love me some FEG though.

ETA: Just finally read the first page of posts, and not to get off-topic but I get the coffee jitters too as I love the stuff in the morning, trick for me is CBD gummies instead of melatonin, you don't get sleepy you just relax those jitters.
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#17]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Is that front sight clamped onto the flash hider?

Sorry if that's a dumb question, I know next to nothing about SVD's. Do love me some FEG though.

ETA: Just finally read the first page of posts, and not to get off-topic but I get the coffee jitters too as I love the stuff in the morning, trick for me is CBD gummies instead of melatonin, you don't get sleepy you just relax those jitters.
View Quote
TMI amigo (where's the hug emojee?)

But yes, coffee jitters aside, the FEYG FSB is a two piece design. Actually not a bad design but unfortunately it doesn't look super durable or that it will hold up suppressed. Non suppressed it should be fine and from 30,000 feet it kinda looks like the real SVD FSB

Link Posted: 5/31/2024 10:56:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
TMI amigo (where's the hug emojee?)
View Quote

Ya lost me there somewhere hoss
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Anybody have a source for an S-1 bipod, American optic mount, and/or a replacement FSB?

And is there any kind of consensus as to what ammo the gun likes, and what to stay away from? Seems like the slow twist would favor lighter bullets....
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Back in stock at Atlantic.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 6:00:31 PM EDT
[#21]
1k more now too. I'm telling ya, buy now, they're only gonna go up. My prediction anyway.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Back in stock at Atlantic.
View Quote

$8.5K…. Lots of other options for that price….
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Debo75:
Anybody have a source for an S-1 bipod, American optic mount, and/or a replacement FSB?

And is there any kind of consensus as to what ammo the gun likes, and what to stay away from? Seems like the slow twist would favor lighter bullets....
View All Quotes

I got my FSB off a guy here on the ARF EE, and it seemed like he still had one available, but that was before they forced everyone to the new format. Maybe I’ll look around today and see if I can find his ad.

This guy has a reproduction S-1 bipod that I’ve bought from him and works pretty well. He occasionally has spare mags for a good price too, and ships from within the US. https://www.russiansurplus.net/product_p/svd-s1-bipod.htm

Master Mount is making a pretty nice SVD / PSL mount, and has Robski’s blessing: https://ak4774.com/product/svd-psl54-optic-mount/

As for ammo: mine has liked anything from Sellier and Bellot. I’ve also had good luck with PPU 150 grain soft points. You should be able to find some of my grouping pictures here in this thread.

Originally Posted By ssndude:

$8.5K…. Lots of other options for that price….

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I heard that I could buy another HD-18 lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 4:10:18 AM EDT
[#24]

This could be said of so many other rifles - it's just simple Supply and Demand.

You think it costs Knights Armament $7,000 to build an SR25? Not even close. Yet, people pay that price all day long.

The SVD is rare and it's highly desirable - the fact that so few are available is why the price of admission is so high.

Now, if FEG starts pumping out (and B&T is able to import) thousands of these rifles over the next several years, that will absolutely drive the price way down.

A great example of this is the SP5 - people were paying $5k for these when they first showed up and they were gone as fast as they came in. HK then proceeded to import shit loads of them and now you can get an SP5 for like $2600 (and sometimes even a little less if you look for sales).
View Quote

That is exactly why I haven't bought one...yet. I'll probably be wrong and miss the boat, but I think there's a real possibility that they'll come down in price.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 7:33:34 AM EDT
[#25]
there's been a lot of speculation about these rifles and their parts sources etc. From what I've heard and read, I don't think there were be a lot more coming in. I think there will be a few more groups imported then it will be that's all folks.

However, if they ramp up production and start flooding the market, that would be awesome. Then my son could afford his own.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
Check russiansurplus.net for the S1 bipod. It's a replica, but Alex says its almost exactly identical to the Russian factory model, so much so that he is willing to sell the replica

SVDs have historically done well with 200gr ammo. They are well documented to have good results with heavier bullets and I personally see better groups with 200gr weight vs the 151 of 7N1

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 10:09:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By CATM:

That is exactly why I haven't bought one...yet. I'll probably be wrong and miss the boat, but I think there's a real possibility that they'll come down in price.
View Quote
I'd be really happy about that actually. I would rather more people have access to the FEYG,vs keeping some kind of resale value for myself. I'd be happy to have 5 or 6 instead of 1, thats for sure

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 8:41:23 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

The HK analogy is spot on.  I slightly over paid for one a few years back based on the real belief/fear that the current administration could EO ban them at any time without any notice.  I am surprised that has not happened ala 89 Bush EO that basically started all the nonsense at the federal level.  But I digress.

Same supply / demand mark up happening with the FEG SVD is going on with KAC.  I know what the actual distributer price was to my FFL when I got my brand new SR25 ACC a few years back and even with a middle man (the distributor) and it was a hell of a lot less then $7K.  

I was very interested in the FEG offering and I think that they are very cool and appreciate them being imported but at the current price point I personally will buy something else (yeah KAC) or pay a little more and get a chinese or russian import if I have to have the SVD.
Link Posted: Today 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#29]
Wish I had bought that Tigr for 3k back in 2012
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top