Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/9/2003 3:51:56 AM EDT
I found this site to be very informative regarding this type of weapon.  It is very detailed, and explains how to build one.   This is cool.  A complete electromagnetic handgun!  I always thought these things were huge or ungainly to carry around.  I hope you find this interesting as much as I do.  Check it out.

By the way, no silencer required! WoW!

ENGLISH VERSION LINK BELOW

www.pskovinfo.ru/coilgun/indexe.htm
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:23:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Here is a different prototype....not Russian.

complete....

internal mech's...

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:10:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 5:41:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Just imagine, this can be built into any configuration in your own kitchen.  It doesn't have to look like a gun.  It could be a shoebox, flashlight, briefcase, etc.  The device makes no sound, no kick, no smoke, no friction because there are no moving parts and...its powerful.  

This is the future.

Moving away from a weapons perspective, one can imagine many civilian applications, one example would be to place satelites in orbit without damaging the atmosphere from rocket fuel exhaust.  This is just facinating!

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
So whats the barrel velocities out of something like that handgun? Is it subsonic or could it compete with my AR?
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:10:14 AM EDT
[#5]
From the Russian version, I believe he said somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 joules.
But he used old parts for his gun.  Many of his parts can be found elsewhere that are smaller in size and contain more energy.

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:02:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always read/been told that these things are very loud.  Your still going to generate a supersonic shock wave.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 9:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Well, if one were to design it so that the muzzle energy is in the neighborhood of 550 to 650 joules, it would have the power of a 9mm hand gun, providing that you use a steel bolt that weights about the same as a 9mm slug.

I don't think you will hear a super sonic boom, but I would imagine you would hear something like a swish sound, like a bullwhip without the snapping noise.  

As long as it breaks the sound barrier, you will hear something depending on the size of the object traveling.

a .22 long rifle cartridge if I remember correctly travels faster than sound.  What do you hear? A zipping sound right?

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:20:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats a joule? I aways thought of that as something to measure electricity with.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Radio Shack, here I come!  

Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I call BS on the no-sound thing.  

If it's going faster then the speed of sound it's going to have a supersonic "crack" no matter if there's an explosion or not.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It will have sounds, and it WILL have some kick to it.

Newtons laws, remember?

You're accelerating an object by applying a force to it -- therefore, there is an equal and oposite force.

Now, it probably won't be the same "type" of kick -- but the laws of physics say there will be something.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top